Water Filters for Vans

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 13:16
ThreadID: 68351 Views:2081 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
What would be the best Water Filter for Caravans, mainly to stop Calcium?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 15:30

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 15:30
As far as I'm aware there is no real solution to the excess calcium in the water.

Most filters will remove odours, flavours and particulate matter down to very small sizes. Small enough to filter out many micro-organisms.

There are magnetic based treatments that claim to "Soften" water but I have never had any experience with these and I've never heard of a system designed for vans.

You can boil the water and let it stand overnight, this removes a good part of the calcium as it will deposit out in the kettle you are using.
AnswerID: 362264

Reply By: Member - shane (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 21:21

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 21:21
why dont you ring puratap and see if they have something, if they cant help i dont think anyone will.
shane.
AnswerID: 362341

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 21:36

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 21:36
We service over 90 water filters every 3 months for a Federal Govt Agency, and we use Pura, Taste/ Odour/ Chemical filter cartridges, they are used on Chilled Water Drinking Fountains, and Hot Water Urns, havent noticed much calcium buildup on these fixtures when servicing them, we even use them at home.

Cheers
Daza
AnswerID: 362345

Reply By: Member - Richard H (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 21:46

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 21:46
C & D,

I had a basic water filter fitted to a Roadstar van, when I bought it. It made virtually no difference to the taste of the water, and I think it only filtered out the suspended crap.

My current van doesn't have a water filter and I'm not buying one as I consider them useless items that need periodic replacing. This is my opinion only, others may differ.

What I do is before I leave home I fill the tanks up with rain water, and I try to do this wherever I can. It's a pain in the bum bucketing water and tipping it into the water inlets, but at least it doesn't taste like soap.

We try to conserve it as much as possible by not having 'Hollywood' showers, and use the local water if available for washing up and cleaning.

A lot of caravan parks have rainwater available for park occupants, I've never been knocked back from using this, after asking permission.

The other thing about rain water there is no calcium build-up in electric jugs or the hot water system, and it lathers up.

Unfortunately, good tasting soft water is not all that common in Oz, and the variance is enormous. Depends on where it comes from, run off into dams, or from bores.
AnswerID: 362346

Sponsored Links