front shudder on 92 GQ

Submitted: Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 23:32
ThreadID: 6836 Views:1525 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a '92 GQ with the age old problem of a really really bad steering shudder, I have a set of 33" BFG muds and 34" JT2's, both sets have been balanced on the car and I have fitted a new Rancho 5000 steering damper. The car has 6" springs with castor plates etc etc and an adjustable panhard rod is getting fitted next week.
I have been told that the bushes on the original panhard rod could be worn out and causing the problem, has anyone else encountered a similar problem, it gets so bad that sometimes I have to pull over to the side of the road, 60 kph is a bad speed.

Hope that someone has some advice

Thanks

Mark.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 00:10

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 00:10
Try http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Nissan_GQ_Patrol there was some chat on this not long ago.

6in lift no adjusted panhards? Wheels would be hanging out the guards on one side and rubbin like mad on the other.
AnswerID: 29148

Reply By: Mick - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 14:57

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 14:57
Hi,
Been there had that problem with my shorty with 6" lift.
Once your new panhard rod is fitted it should fix some of the problem, as the steering box will not be in the center. The drop arm coming from the box should run parallel to the chasis, in the center position will be a tight spot, & either side will be slightly free. in normal highway straight travelling this helps fix wobble like this.
Try adjusting your power syeer box - theres a Nut with a screwdriver slot on top for starters.
Check the tie rod ends, as these could intensify the problem, or it may be a combination of all these problems.
AnswerID: 29204

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 15:59

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 15:59
Shortys and LWB are a totally different story with lifts on GQs

Tailshaft angles on shortys get critical with large lifts, with some making the mistake of double cardin shafts to correct it, but they cause another set of problems..

YMMV
FollowupID: 20339

Sponsored Links