Pioneer Camper Trailer

Submitted: Friday, May 01, 2009 at 09:38
ThreadID: 68404 Views:4175 Replies:6 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I would like to know if any owners of Pioneer Camper Trailers have had problems with rain water leaking into their camper. And if they discovered from where.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Friday, May 01, 2009 at 15:06

Friday, May 01, 2009 at 15:06
Ihave a Pioneer SE ARGYLE which has encountered heavy rain with no leaks.Make sure the canvas around the floor section is tucked over the floor frame properly.Also zips done up properly in heavy rain.Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 362621

Follow Up By: Big Al SA - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 14:49

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 14:49
My Argyle SE is filling up with water, under the bed, whilst it is closed up.
FollowupID: 630462

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Friday, May 01, 2009 at 15:14

Friday, May 01, 2009 at 15:14
Big Al

the short answer from me is yes...I will try and answer it as best we can

purchased new Feb 2004 . Never had an issue with water at all until late last year completley out of the blue the following happened.

Put it away in the shed after 4 weeks away in the Kimberley..no rain at all on it that trip and no water xings that could do anything.

Pulled it out of the shed in Nov and when we opened it up I stood there dumbfounded..the floor was completely buckled up internally with the lino raised in a center ridge about 100mm high and rock solid!.

Took it up to Pioneer factory and they stated that it had only "happened to a rare few" but had never seen one as bad as ours. The actual floor staff were very helpful and open with me. They took the end plugs out of the aluminium runners on the top of the camper (when closed up) and water ran out of about half of them! (so to do that they must have suspected they had water?..I never thought of looking they are "sealed" so they must have known something obviously)

How in the hell it ever got in there we will never know. They suggested that the water can only come into those runners when landing on the top (when closed) and then seeping in between the runners and the floor and then down into the screw holes that are used to fix the runners to the timber floor) Hope that makes sense. Unfortunately a lot of that defies gravity! as the water had to flow vertically upwards to be in the runners

They peered very closely all over the camper and I noted that they took particular notice down around the bottom left and right of the tail gate area (as though they might have experienced leaks from there before)

I spent hours searching all over the thing and hours racking my brain and simply cannot fathom how the water can get in to those runners there in that quantity......(and when) because with it closed up the water had to go down into the floor area not vertically into the runners!

As I said we pulled it out of the shed after some 4 months to find the buckled timber and lino...so did water somehow get into the runners (over an unknown period of time and how????) and then gravity allowed it to seep out through the screw holes when in the closed position in the shed? why then and why not before...it is a complete mystery and has beaten and frustrated the hell out of me.

The end result was that I had to have a new floor fitted (at approx $1k) as the current owner of the business (who is not as nice and helpful as his staff) said it was out of warranty and before he owned the business...therefore not his problem.....fair enough comment...but not even doing it at cost in good faith was dissapointing...he still made money out of my misfortune and is still using the same floor design

So we now have a new floor..same design still in use.......mystery never solved..and my fingers crossed.......I love the camper it has served us well over some very serious off road trips and performed flawlessly..

Dont know if that water issue is the same as yours...but if you do know where your leak is coming from Id love to know...it may be from where mine started and therefore may do again?

cheers

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 362623

Follow Up By: PandJ - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 09:43

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 09:43
Hi

This seams strange to me
Just wondering if when you arrived home after your trip you hosed it down or washed the top where the runners are?

Could this be a problem?

Cheers P&J
FollowupID: 630426

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 09:55

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 09:55
Agree it is strange.....we did not hose it and even if we did...water should still not ingress

if you read my post again note that the factory went looking into those runners!...why would they without already some knowledge?..they were sealed and who would even think of looking there without a previous occurrence / knowledge

yes very strange indeed

cheers
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 630428

Follow Up By: PandJ - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 10:02

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 10:02
Yeah! very strange for sure. I thought it may have been condensation at first.

I will look at our in a minute.

Note your opinion of the new owner, I found him very helpfull and honest.
FollowupID: 630429

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 10:09

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 10:09
your initials have jogged my memory..

did you by any chance spend New Years Eve in Coolup? with S & J?

..if you didint no worries that question wont make sense...
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 630430

Follow Up By: PandJ - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 10:18

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 10:18
No not us.
FollowupID: 630433

Follow Up By: Big Al SA - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 14:52

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 14:52
My Argyle E is willing up with water, under the bed, whilst it is closed up, No its not from filling the water tank. My under body lockers also fill with rain water.
FollowupID: 630463

Reply By: ajd - Friday, May 01, 2009 at 15:35

Friday, May 01, 2009 at 15:35
Never had any water in ours (2007 Argyle SE). some water damage on the floor when we went out and left the canvas door open, of course it than poured rain.

Other than that now hassles at all.

Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 362627

Follow Up By: Big Al SA - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 14:54

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 14:54
Do you have a problem with water getting in the under body storage lockers.
FollowupID: 630464

Reply By: Member - Paul Mac (VIC) - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 08:33

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 08:33
G'day Al,

I have the Pioneer Onyx 2008 model built Feb 08 and have never had problems with water leaking in the canvas. I do need to be careful filling the water tank as there has been signs of leakage if the hose filling the tank is on too fast.

I have on a couple of occasions noticed wetness inside the camper near the water inlet on the marine carpet. Fortunately no damage and it dries within a day or so.

Doesn't happen if I fill the tank slowly.

I've been camping in torrential rain and nothing comes in through the canvas seams.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 362745

Reply By: PandJ - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 09:33

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 09:33
Hi Big Al,

If you have a problem ring Pioneer in Perth on 08 9302 2500 and ask to speak to Robin, he is the Director.
Or contact Wormald Canvas in Golden Grove on 08 8288 7788 and speak with Steve he is boss.

Wormald Canvas makes all pioneer tops and annexes.
Both of these Gentlemen are excellent to deal with.

Hope this of help to you, we have a new Onyx and had no leaks when soaking for 3 times.

Good luck P&J
AnswerID: 362751

Reply By: Big Al SA - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 09:43

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 09:43
Thankyou for your replies. I did nit make myself clear in that the water comes into the camper whilst it is all packed up. I have tried to talk to Robin but he only has one of his workers talk to me.
AnswerID: 362753

Follow Up By: PandJ - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 10:16

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 10:16
Al,

What model is it and what age? I would stress that you need to talk to Robin. If no good send him a registered letter as I would not give up.

Strange how the water is getting in when folded down, has to be through floor!
FollowupID: 630431

Follow Up By: Big Al SA - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 14:47

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 14:47
The camper is an Argyle SE and we got it last August. The camper was closed and the complete floor area under the bed is very very wet. There is also 1/2" of water in the under body lockers, which im told is normal, do you have that problem. Robin did not answer my email or talk to me on the phone.
FollowupID: 630461

Follow Up By: PandJ - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 15:34

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 15:34
Big Al,

We have not used ours yet, as only new, but it has had 4 soakings with the hose to seal he stitching as recommended and I have washed the top when closed up and no leaks detected as yet.

It is stored in our garage so does not see a lot of water !!

Don't let them bluff you, leave a message for Robin to ring you or write a registered letter to him, or approach Consumer Affairs.

Good Luck P&J
FollowupID: 631167

Sponsored Links