Roof racks for Wrangler Rubicon fibreglass top?

Submitted: Friday, May 01, 2009 at 10:48
ThreadID: 68408 Views:3428 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Wondering what are the options for a roof rack for the Wrangler with the removable fibreglass roof. Have been looking on the net and there is a frame and racks availiable but its in the US and shipping with be very expensive. Does anybody know if there is anywhere in Aus, preferably Perth, that stock these?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OzTroopy - Friday, May 01, 2009 at 10:59

Friday, May 01, 2009 at 10:59
If you are only carrying light weights with no wind resistance. - skis etc ... as you should on a plastic / glass roof ... all the major brands here have something suitable. Very large washers / length of aluminium on the iside to stop the mounting screws pulling through should do the job better than little ones provided.

If your loads are heavier ... have a look at how they fit trade racks on plastic ute canopies ... internal / external supports.
AnswerID: 362568

Follow Up By: Wrangler08 - Friday, May 01, 2009 at 11:14

Friday, May 01, 2009 at 11:14
Thanks, will probably look into the heavier duty side of things I think. Not that there will be extremely heavy things on it, we will be doing some full on 4wd-ing so it will get thrown around a bit...
FollowupID: 630288

Reply By: Crackles - Friday, May 01, 2009 at 22:11

Friday, May 01, 2009 at 22:11
Rhino rack make a pair of bars that fit to the Wrangler fibreglass top suitable for carrying 30 KG & have a range of cages, bags and assesories for fitting bikes etc.
For an expedition style rack you can either order one in from the US or have an engineering workshop custom build the mounting brackets that attach to the windscreen bolts & rear bar to fit an off the shelf rack of the appropiate size. I'm unaware of any Oz company building heavy duty racks for the Wrangler yet.
If you don't get the answer you need here try the AJOR forum.
Cheers Craig................
AnswerID: 362703

Reply By: Member - RockyOne - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 10:31

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 10:31
I bought a Rhino Rack and made my own bars up out of 2 x 1 steel RHS. As I always travel in a rig I can climb onto the roof of to take photos with more depth (take a photo of a group of folk and scenic background and all you get is a wall of guys. No depth). As the Rhino bars are not made to carry such weight,my RHS bars bear the weight on the strong part of the canopy i.e. the 'roll at the wall top as it joins the flat roof. I flogged a piece of 2 x 1/4" flat mild steel over a hunk of pipe until it had the same curves as the roof. This will support much more than you will ever require to carry. Very low tech but effective. I will try to find a pix of it in my collection. Of course,I contact cemented rubber strips it bear the load onto the f/glass curve. Was a fun project. Cost nix. All re-cycled. "oh you are a good little greenie Rocky" I hear you saying. Thanks;-)
AnswerID: 362762

Follow Up By: Member - RockyOne - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 10:43

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 10:43
Pix of my Roof Rack mount bar on my Fotki site Found it. This will lead you to my workshop area on Fotki. (hope) Scale of difficulty for average workshopper 4/10
FollowupID: 630437

Follow Up By: Wrangler08 - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 11:11

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 11:11
Yeah, you are a good little greenie! What u have rigged up sounds interesting. a pic would be good if u find one. Thanks for the ideas :-)
FollowupID: 630440

Follow Up By: Member - RockyOne - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 11:41

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 11:41
Hey mate! Forgive me if I am wrong but you should be able to just click on Pix of my Roof Rack mount bar on my Fotki site for all the pix you need or the one below. BOL.
http://public.fotki.com/RockyOne/rockys_workshop_world/rhinorak_1z.html
FollowupID: 630443

Sponsored Links