air compressor

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 09:44
ThreadID: 6841 Views:1817 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
We are about to set off for 12 months travelling round Oz and We are wanting to get an air compressor but we are unsure whether it's better to have one installed in the car ('95 2.8l diesel Hilux SR5) or get a portable one.
What does everyone think?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 10:00

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 10:00
It will depend on your route and how many time you will actually use it.
You may spend anything between $100 - $400 for portable one .
Most of the portable ones can be installed under the bonet if that's you choice.
AnswerID: 29167

Reply By: Member - Alex B - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 10:38

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 10:38
Hi Caren, personally I recommend you have it installed under the bonnet or seat, only because you are going to find that “space” will be very valuable. We started with a portable ARB unit – but soon installed it - ready to go and out of the way.
I’m sure you’ll have a ball on your trip
Enjoy!
Alex
AnswerID: 29169

Follow Up By: bruce.h (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 10:52

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 10:52
Gday Caren
i have to agree with Alex ,after 12 monthes of shoving the pump out of the way every time you want to get at the stuff behind it ,you will wish you had fitted it .
Regards bruce
FollowupID: 20320

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 14:25

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 14:25
And you should seriously consider getting a second (perhaps cheaper) compressor as a back-up in case the first one fails. There are some reasonable quality, cheap ones around ideal for this purpose - refer to previous threads on compressors.Smile, you're on ExplorOz
Rohan (Sydney - on the QLD side of the Harbour Bridge)
FollowupID: 20328

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 16:01

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 16:01
Hi Alex,

Where did you install your portable air compressor?

I have an 80 series with very little room in the engine bay, and no room under the seats, but I am looking hard for somewhere to install it.

cheers

Just Do It!

FollowupID: 20340

Follow Up By: Member - Alex B - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 17:06

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 17:06
Hi Glen,
I have a troopy with full-length draws. There are four additional ‘side storage’ areas along side the draws (2 in the front & 2 at the back). I made up a base plate for the compressor and fitted it in the rear drivers side storage area, and replaced the vertical front panel with a piece of s/steel mesh for ventilation. The on/off switch and the hose coupling is located on the mesh, for easy access.
A friend of mine made up a small corner shelf and mounted his against the rear pillar up near his roof.
I hope this makes sense. If you want more info email me at alex@resultsnow.com.au
Cheers
Alex
FollowupID: 20343

Follow Up By: CAMEL - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 17:32

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 17:32
Hi Glenn, depending on compressor, I have an ARB one and mounted it parallel to the air intake to the aircleaner. the motor fits under the brake lines & mini tank above between inner guard & end of brake unit, hose fitting is on top. It's a fiddly fit. But one of the reasons was the captive nuts, as the car was new & couldn't put a drill to it at the time.
FollowupID: 20344

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 21:59

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 21:59
Hi Camel, Alex

If I remove the speaker for the alarm system (that is never on as it keeps going off????) then I believe that I could also fit it there. I have the ARB compressor - does a great job....especially for pumping up the footballs and soccer balls and bike tyres for the local kids. I currently have it mounted on top of my homemade drawer system. It certainly restricts storage space next to the fridge, but I think that when I get the cargo barrier I will mount it on that.

CheersJust Do It!

FollowupID: 20371

Reply By: Member- Rox - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 01:13

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 01:13
Caren, I'd recomed fitting it, cause every time i reinflate my tyres people always stop and ask if every think is ok(bonet up to conect to battery)
seen one setup with the hose coming out of the grill with rubber stoper on the end to stop dirt etc.Have 4WD will Explore
AnswerID: 29396

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 07:53

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 07:53
Gday
Check out www.ebay.com.au
Auction number 3624107196
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 29400

Reply By: Murfa - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 20:15

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 20:15
I would highly recomend fitting and Arb compressor under your bonnet. I have one fitted, and so do most of my mates. No trouble, reliable, and take up very little space in the engin bay, as they can be mounted almost anywhere. I have used mine to pump up 4 to 6 sets of 4wd's tyres in a row, and it has never let me down. Also being under your bonett, you don't miss the cargo space, and saves hunting around in the boot for it, when you can't remeber were you packed it.
AnswerID: 29495

Reply By: Camper - Friday, Aug 29, 2003 at 19:11

Friday, Aug 29, 2003 at 19:11
I bought a quality, bare compressor and fitted it with hose and wiring loom and mounted it in an old metal router box. My thinking was that it is portable, I can take it to help another vehicle out, carry it in another vehicle and use it to pump up the trailer tyres from the auxiliary trailer battery if I want. I have a good length of wire and hose so I can get to all tyres on the whole rig (including trailer). I can see why others would vehicle mount theirs but I was a bit baulked by lack of room and the electrics needed under the bonnet. I've been happy so far, it does the job well, but I have not been faced with the space problems you will encounter in a year's trip.
Anyway I can always mount in the fourby at a later date.
Enjoy your trip!
AnswerID: 29587

Sponsored Links