Innamincka to Birdsville

Hi there, I have just read the article on the trek between Innamincka and Birdsville via Cordillo Downs.

I am heading out that way on a trip in the near future and was wondering if anyone here has had first hand experience on this track?

Some specificis things I am wonering are.

1. We have a Disco Series II and will be towing a Jayco Swan Outback Camper. Would this be alright to tow along the track?

2. Has anyone camped along the track. The article on here recommends you take two days to complete the journey and was wondering where people may have camped and how safe it is?

3. Any other information that you are able to give me....

Thanks in advance

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Axel [ the real one ] - Friday, May 01, 2009 at 12:23

Friday, May 01, 2009 at 12:23
2 days depending on how long you spend looking round at Cordillo , last yr we left it a tad late on the day to drive from CordilloDowns so had stop 100klm nth of Innaminka , just pulled 15mtr of the track and set up camp as sun going down ,,, apart from seeing a dingo not one other being heard or seen ,no vehicles at all passed during the stop ,, Safe ?? would say so...
AnswerID: 362584

Reply By: troopy 2005 - Friday, May 01, 2009 at 13:04

Friday, May 01, 2009 at 13:04
took us about 8hrs to do the trip innaminka to birdsville,there a few rough creek crossings but take it easy and youll be fine,easier alt is by walkers crossing.
AnswerID: 362592

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, May 01, 2009 at 13:18

Friday, May 01, 2009 at 13:18
Hi Cram
This is a longer and slower trip than Walkers Crossing track. Keep your tyre pressure down, take your time and you should have no problems providing that it is not wet. It is well known for its bone bleep tering conditions, but there are some good things to see along the way. As or safety, you should be a lot safer out there that the big smoke.

We took a day and a half to reach Innaminka, the quicker that you try to do the trip, the greater chance of trouble.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 362594

Reply By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Friday, May 01, 2009 at 13:48

Friday, May 01, 2009 at 13:48
There is good camping at Cadelga Homestead ruins.

Peter

Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

AnswerID: 362600

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Friday, May 01, 2009 at 14:29

Friday, May 01, 2009 at 14:29
I did the trek towing a camper trailer. Have a read of this blog.

Dig Tree to Birdsville Via Cordillo

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 362610

Follow Up By: Bytemrk - Friday, May 01, 2009 at 22:23

Friday, May 01, 2009 at 22:23
Thanks Mick...

Nice write up..... I'm heading that way in September with my son...can't wait to get out there!

Mark
FollowupID: 630395

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Friday, May 01, 2009 at 15:26

Friday, May 01, 2009 at 15:26
Walkers Crossing, the Cordillo Rd or the Arrabury Rd are all straight forward drives up toward Birdsville (weather and road maintenance permitting) ....... driven with consideration for the rocky parts and the odd washaway, you should have a great drive. Plenty of good spots to bush camp on the way - the pic below is about half way along the Cordillo track - lovely country up there :-o).

Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 362624

Reply By: Member - Russnic [NZ] - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 18:30

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 18:30
Hi Cram
Travelled through there last winter, from Innaminika, good road for around 100 ks to cattle yards, obviously maintained to there.
Road turned to track, bog holes ,detours etc to Arrabury turnoff, not to bad from there washouts at creeks. as you get.
Cordillo Downs shed well worth a look (if you are country)
I camped @ Koonabera creek. Good spot lots of birds.
Swung the billy # Cuppa creek.
Keep in mind there are areas prone to flooding so check conditions.
I would have felt quite comfortable towing a camper back then.
Cheers
Russ
AnswerID: 362834

Sponsored Links