04 RA 3.0iTD Rodeo

Submitted: Friday, May 01, 2009 at 16:26
ThreadID: 68418 Views:5359 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G'day folks,

Just had a quick look over the engine today and noticed a small oil leak on top of the rocker cover, directly under where the air intake pipe crosses over from the turbo to the inlet manifold. Upon closer inspection, the oil is actually coming from inside the air intake pipe. So the pipe is from the turbo, through the intercooler and to the inlet manifold. Took the pipe (or rather rubber hose) apart and there were small amounts of engine oil right through-out the whole hose. I understand this is not normal? Turbo has sprung a leak? Engine has only 66,000 km and has not been used for towing, etc.

Trying to post a thread on other forums requires a Ph.D, this forum is the best and easiest to use, hence my question!

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: guzzi - Friday, May 01, 2009 at 16:51

Friday, May 01, 2009 at 16:51
Take your finger off the panic button, done that? OK.
Crankcase ventilation hoses are probably the cause of the oil, remove them and give them a good clean out. Oil vapour is sucked out of the tappet cover and through the inlet pipes to be burned during combustion.
It also has a habit of condensing inside the pipes and leaving puddles when it pools and leaks out.
Follow all your hoses back to the turbo and check out what is inside of the line immediately after of the turbo, a film of oil on the inside of that pipe would be acceptable, puddles of oil sitting on the turbo outlet would not.
While you have the outlet pipe off, take hold of the turbo shaft and see if it has any play up / down/left /right/in/out up to roughly .3mm would be ok anything larger would need further inspection, spin it and it should spin freely, smoothly and quietly.
If it does move up down etc and graunch when spun, you can now go back into panic mode with confidence.

Cheers

Pete
AnswerID: 362643

Follow Up By: Mudripper - Friday, May 01, 2009 at 17:42

Friday, May 01, 2009 at 17:42
Thanks, for that guzzi.

I sort of suspected the PCV system and your reply makes sense.

Will sit back and relax with a bit of whiskey now!

Hopefully...
FollowupID: 630348

Reply By: Isuzumu - Friday, May 01, 2009 at 19:42

Friday, May 01, 2009 at 19:42
They all manage to get oil in the intercooler and as said above... the best way to stop MOST of the oil at bay is to put a catch can in between the rocker cover and the air intake before it goes into the turbo. I am going to be away for a couple of days and if you want a photo of it leave your request here and I will endeavour to do so for you.
AnswerID: 362670

Follow Up By: Mudripper - Friday, May 01, 2009 at 19:47

Friday, May 01, 2009 at 19:47
A photo would be great.

Thanks.
FollowupID: 630364

Follow Up By: Member - Matt (Perth-WA) - Friday, May 01, 2009 at 20:39

Friday, May 01, 2009 at 20:39
Image Could Not Be Found

This is the one I fitted to the Rodeo and its off a truck isuzu.

You see the two large hoses..one intake the other exit and the small one is the drain to the sump.

This is full of gauze and the by-pass air passes through and the oil congeals and drip back into the sump.

Cleaned theintake up dramatically.

You can get a catch-can off the shelf or make your own that will do the same but not have the drain to the sump...requires periodically draining the containiner.Like this!!

Matt.
FollowupID: 630373

Follow Up By: Mudripper - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 19:52

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 19:52
Thanks for that.

Looks like a project for the near future.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 630491

Reply By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 11:04

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 11:04
mudripper

This seems to be a common problem with the ZD30 Patrol.

This is what I did on mine ...

Remove the intercooler and hoses. Get a couple of cans of degreaser from SC ($2.08 ea) and clean the inside of everything a couple of times. Make sure you remove ALL the water from inside the IC/hoses. (Leave it in the sun for a couple of hours works). Put it all back together, Make sure you really tighten the air hoses.

The hose that goes from the top of the rocker cover to the air inlet pipe I cut in half and fitted a ProVent200 Filter. There is a photo of it in My Profile, Forum Photos. The drain on the bottom I fitted about 12" of clear plastic with a plug in the end so I could monitor how much oil was actually being filtered.

On a recent 4400km trip, it filled the whole tube. What would that be? about 200ml.

Malcolm

living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 362770

Follow Up By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 11:08

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 11:08
to make it easier, here is a post of the thread ...

Crankcase Filtration
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 630439

Follow Up By: Mudripper - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 19:48

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 19:48
Thanks for that mate.
FollowupID: 630489

Sponsored Links