Cameron Corner and region

Hi all,
I asked the questioin a month ago on this forum about driving a sedan around the corner area and Innaminka. I just returned home with no punctures or damage and for the record:

The road from Broken Hill to Tibooburra has one shocking stretch south of Milparinka with gibbers the size of small melons common. Driving at 20kmph gave me safe passage! Tibooburra to Cameron Corner is quite poor early on but gives way to good sandy road later. Fort Grey is quite good campsite.
Sheryl at the Cameron Corner store is lovely and advised not to try Merty track with a sedan in current conditions so thank you for your kindness and calling ahead to Noccundra pub to ensure my safe arrival in that direction.

The road from C.C to Noccundra is brilliant wide sandy road. Definately stop for a beer at Noccundra pub and chat to friendly Jo.

Thanks to all who replied to my previous thread. This trip has made me want to get a 4WD and go out further next time.

Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Monday, May 04, 2009 at 11:39

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 11:39
Thanks for the feedback Steve. Glad to see you had a great time. Be warned, once the 4x4 bug bites, it's hard to cure ;-)

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 363118

Reply By: Outbackogre - Monday, May 04, 2009 at 11:44

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 11:44
Steve, glad you enjoyed it. I did the Silver City Hwy from Tib to Bh three years ago in wet conditions - bit of a nightmare towing a CT. What road did you take from CC to Noccundra - up through Omicron and back onto the Silver City Hwy or back through Tib? I might be up that way in a couple of months. Cheers. Rob.
AnswerID: 363119

Follow Up By:- Monday, May 04, 2009 at 12:25

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 12:25
Yes Rob up past Omicron. The road is great until you get to the main Siver City highway junction. Then it becomes a bit rough in places to Noccundra. But there were road crews out there doing some grading. A bit of clay over the rocks would be good. I heard the road to dig tree is badly corugated at the moment? Enjoy your trip.

Steve
FollowupID: 630768

Follow Up By: Outbackogre - Monday, May 04, 2009 at 12:35

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 12:35
Thanks Steve. Hmm bummer about the corrugations west of Noccundra - we want to travel that way to Innaminka then down the Stezlecki to the Ood Track. Oh well, as long as it's dry I think we'll be ok. Cheers. Rob.
FollowupID: 630770

Reply By: Rangiephil - Monday, May 04, 2009 at 16:24

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 16:24
Great to hear that you had a successful trip.

Now get rid of that Honda and get a 4WD.

Suzuki Grand Vitara diesel would be economical and go anywhere you want.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 363169

Follow Up By:- Friday, May 08, 2009 at 16:04

Friday, May 08, 2009 at 16:04
So Philip you'd reccomend the Suzuki? The question about what to get has been on my mind. Has to be practical around town obviously but my main concern out west would be mechanical reliability I think.

Steve
FollowupID: 631532

Reply By: Member - Campergirl (NSW) - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 21:54

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 21:54
Thanks heaps for the feedback Steve.

Heading that way to Alice Springs at the end of the month. Will check in at the Tibooburra Pub.

Happy travels

:-)
Lovin' it!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 363764

Follow Up By:- Friday, May 08, 2009 at 16:07

Friday, May 08, 2009 at 16:07
Wow what a great trip. Would love to have gone out to Innaminka and region and then see what lies west of Birdsville in the desert. I nearly stopped at Tib pub but really wanted to camp that day out in the corner. Post some shots when you get back

Steve
FollowupID: 631534

Sponsored Links