road from birdsvile to simpson impasable

my mate rang birdsvile police today and was told that access to simpson in his opinion was to flooded to pass any one got more info as my leaving date is the 19 of this month. i will be going somewhere so i might have to work on plan B.my travel partner is happy enough to spend a week at the birdsvile hotel .lol
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark C (NSW) - Monday, May 04, 2009 at 17:54

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 17:54
Hope to be there about 2 weeks later than you please leave some beer in the pub for others as a beer in the birdsville pub is on the iteniary. cheers
AnswerID: 363182

Reply By: Willem - Monday, May 04, 2009 at 18:02

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 18:02
You can go to the Simpson but you have to access it from Dalhousie Springs and have enough fuel on board to return to Dalhousie.

The police in Birdsville shouldl have the most up to date info.

Quite ironic that you can't get to the desert due to floods. But that is the nature of these places and we have to adjust our plans accordingly
AnswerID: 363187

Reply By: RobAck - Monday, May 04, 2009 at 18:19

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 18:19
So why not go to William Creek via the Birdsville and Oodnadatta Tracks. Stop in at Maree then take a flight across Lake Eyre with Trevor Wright and then back to Victoria via the Flinders Ranges.

If you are considering a Lake Eyre flight from William Ck then ring Trevor and book well in advance

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 363192

Reply By: Holden4th - Monday, May 04, 2009 at 18:23

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 18:23
It appears, from this post, that the desert itself has some impassable areas. From what I gather it's Eyre Creek flooding that is the culprit affecting the QAA line. The QAA line is not the only access point for the desert but this will could possibly mean going down the Birdsville track to get access.

These are the guys to talk to if you really want to know what's going on.

http://www.mtdare.com.au/
AnswerID: 363194

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, May 04, 2009 at 19:25

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 19:25
This is where you should look

ExplorOz Road Report

Updated 01/05/2009
FollowupID: 630841

Reply By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Monday, May 04, 2009 at 18:27

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 18:27
That information is the same as I have at the moment.
We head off in a weeks time, 11th, but due to the flooding, have had to changed our planning to enter the desert from Dalhousie. We will work on what to do if unable to exit via Birdsville when we get there.
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 363197

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 09:54

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 09:54
Just remember that at some point heading east from Dalhousie , probably around Poeppels you have to decide whether to continue to Eyre Crk and possibly cross it or turn back due to fuel capacity.
Bear in mind also that if you are the first group to try and find a way through the flooded country it will take days and lots of fuel to find a way through.
What usually happens is a group from Birdsville will find a route around the flooded areas after taking a plane flight to plot a route.
Coming in from the west all you can do is head north and hope to drive around the top of the flood and/or get down to the top crossing of Eyre crk.
Having done exactly that years ago it took an extra 3 days and a couple 100k's of extra distance and it was only because we met a group coming from the east who had done most of the hard work that we got through at all.
Stay away from dark grey ground! it is bottomless ;-)))
FollowupID: 630927

Follow Up By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 10:36

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 10:36
Thanks for the info Peter, do you know if there is a crossing point further north? if so how far? or is it just a case of keep looking untill a crossing is found?
We carry pleny of fuel with us so will allow plenty incase needing to turn back.
Traveling solo, so we do not have to worry about others. It's going to be a wait and see once we get there I think.

Chris

FollowupID: 630936

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 11:32

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 11:32
When it is flood there is a stony crossing approx 30k north of the main QAA crossing but I'd suspect if the water is as spread out as it is you won't get within a bulls roar of it.
Remember that at the moment Eyre Crk is approx 16 -20k wide, you will be doing a lot of walking up dunes to see what is on the other side.
Even if you get up as far north as Annandale ruins or even farther up to Madigans camp 20 you may still not get across as the country is very flat and the water lays around for long while especially as the weather cools.
If you are by yourself be very careful as the country is bottomless and if you go in or break through the crust you will be in big trouble as far as recovery goes.
FollowupID: 630941

Follow Up By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 19:49

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 19:49
Thanks again for the info Peter,
We are really looking forward to this trip. Looks
like it will end up being very interesting one.

Chirs

FollowupID: 631030

Follow Up By: Bob the - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 21:44

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 21:44
Hi, I'm leaving for Birdsville on monday,I wanted to cross the Simpson but have been strongly advised it is closed.... If you could cross it , it would be open... As I was advised please keep in mind that if you need to be recovered or breakdown,the people who are going to come and help you, the inconvinience and the cost if recovery, BIG $$$... The last recovery I read about cost $5000.. Its a 4 to 6 day recovery... And you pay the hourly rate 24 hours a day until you are back at the workshop... So think very carefully before you decide to be the test pilot of 2009 Simpson desert crossing... Have a good trip.
FollowupID: 631067

Reply By: Member - Kim and Doug (QLD) - Monday, May 04, 2009 at 18:42

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 18:42
We head for birdsville on friday from brissy so if we cant get through we will just have to stay for a while meet heaps of new friends and enjoy a drink or three oh well its a tough life on the road but someone has to make the sacrifice ........
AnswerID: 363201

Sponsored Links