Kununurra

Submitted: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 09:45
ThreadID: 68527 Views:3881 Replies:11 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I am after some advice from the well travelled or local.

We are planning to spend some time in Kununurra and take in all it has to offer, my questions are:

Firstly we will be travelling with our small dog and at this stage we are looking at staying at the Kununurra Lakeside Resort. Is this the best place to stay with a pet?

Secondly as the caravan park is on a lake, are there any mossies or sand flies.

I look forward to your comments and recommendations.

Regards,
Matt
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 09:57

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 09:57
You will find pretty much anywhere across the tropics there are mozzies in abundance, huge buggers that get through chairs and long pants, even during the day if you sit still in the shade they are around anywhere there is water.
We stayed there a few times over the years and it was always best to be either inside or well covered in repellant around dusk.
AnswerID: 363300

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 10:08

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 10:08
Do they allow dogs? I thought that they did not.
If I am correct, your best option is the Show grounds.
You can ONLY stay there if you have a big rig, OR a dog.
And it is cheaper.
Don't ever recall a sandfly or mozzie problem at Kununurra, but it would depend on the time of year.
Couple of nice free camps on the lower Ord, both sides, but the dog will be a nice offering to the 'big lizards with teeth'.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 363304

Reply By: Curlynan - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 10:36

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 10:36
Yes that caravan park is on the lake. According to their website pets are allowed with a pet bond payable on arrival.
www.lakeside.com.au
Ditto about the mossies, just make sure you wear repelants to stop the bites and cover up with light loose clothing and get indoors (if poss) dawn and dusk anywhere up north.
Kununurra & surrounds is a lovely place, have been there on number of occasions. We usually stay at the Big 4 (mossies were there as well) but we don't have animals. Last time we were in Kununurra we had a look at that park and decided we may stay there next time we are in town.
Have a good trip.
AnswerID: 363307

Reply By: Dunco (NSW) - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 11:24

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 11:24
Stayed at that park last year...not too bad. They have a small cafe style thing, pool and the Triple Boat cruise can pick you up. About 1.2km walk to town. And dogs are allowed

I didn't have any issues with mozzies or midgies, but there are quite a few fresh water crocs in the lake so watch your dog :-)

I didn't see any during the day, but when we shined a torch on the lake at night all we saw were red eyes looking back.

See you there in August
AnswerID: 363313

Reply By: Warstar - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 11:49

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 11:49
Hi we stayed there 0-6. My notes say:_

"Kununurra Lakeside CP. Large Grassy sites, lacks shade, Vgood amen. Good TV & Mobile. $23 *** Would stay again."

We travel with a dog so I know it is dog friendly.

Sand flies would have come from Darwin if they knew I was in town so I can only conclude they were not a problem when we were there!
AnswerID: 363316

Reply By: steamfire01 - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 13:26

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 13:26
Hey Matt
The lakeside park is a great place to stay, it's dog friendly (dogs on leashes etc, pick up after them - the usual procedure) the sites are a good size and the facilities are fine (although they did run out of hot water when I was there in May / June last year.
I don't remember any problems at all with mozzies or midges.
Kununurra is a good base for travel around the area. I'll bet you stay longer than you plan. Enjoy!!
TJ
AnswerID: 363332

Reply By: marq - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 07:05

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 07:05
Mozzie's - the only thing to take is Bushmans spray as DEET is the only thing that works efffectively.

AnswerID: 363438

Reply By: furph - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 07:54

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 07:54
You may already do, but if your dog is not on heartworm prevention treatment please make sure it is before you visit those places.
We stayed at that park a couple of years ago, very happy with it and would certainly stay again.
furph
AnswerID: 363441

Reply By: Russ n Sue - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 09:04

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 09:04
G'day Matt,

we were there just a few weeks ago. It is a nice park and they do allow dogs. It isn't the biggest park around so it may pay you to book ahead.

There were a few midgies, especially at dusk. The Shire "fog" regularly to keep the numbers down.

Just keep an eye on the dog as there have been confirmed sightings of estuarine crocs in the lake.

Cheers

Russ.
AnswerID: 363446

Reply By: Tenpounder - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 09:12

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 09:12
Hi there. We were there last year. Like others say, the Lakeside Resort is right on the water, with both good and bad aspects as a result ('ambience' = good; mossies = bad). Showground also takes dogs looked attractive because its not crowded; dogs have room to move; but it isn't a full on caravan park with bells and whistles. We actually stayed at Lake Argyle, and really enjoyed it. The down side is that it is a long way from things (other than Lake Argyle, that is!). We didn't have mossie problems (and I'm the sort of person that attracts mossies from afar).
Chris (SA)
AnswerID: 363447

Reply By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 08:21

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 08:21
We stayed there when we were in Kununurra - the favourite entertainment at night - count the little red eyes in the water.
AnswerID: 363632

Sponsored Links