A bit of a Report on Karumba, Qld.

Submitted: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 10:06
ThreadID: 68530 Views:3402 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
The wife and I went from Mt Isa to Karumba for the long weekend and enjoyed the trip.

We left Mt Isa at 7.00 am and thought we would have a look at Lawn hill/Adel Grove as well.

The navigator is normally very good with the distances, ie she tells me how many km's and I judge the distance.

This time she lost 200 km's some where. Ended up we had enough time for a coffee and sandwiches at Adel Grove after the navigator found another 200 km's, then made a beeline to Karumba.

On the way we saw hundreds of people at Gregory River getting ready for a long paddle down the river. We were also pulled over for a breath test in the middle of nowhere between Gregory Downs and Burke and Wills Roadhouse.

We got to Karumba at about 5.15pm found the Karumbal Lodge, booked in and had a beer.

Meals at the Lodge, another name for a pub, were very good and reasonably priced. So were the beer and wine. Low $20's for a steak or good prawn dish, beer about $4.30 a stubby.

On Sunday morning I went on the Kerry D for a 5 hour fishing charter ($100), caught plenty of good fish and thoroughly enjoyed it. I supoose you do when you catch fish!

That evening we went on a sunset cruise with the croc and crab tours. The price of $65 each for the 2 hour cruise included a simply yet very good prawn and fish buffet with a variety of fresh fruit for desert. It also included beer and red and white wine. A stubby holder or glass was also thrown in.

I can highly recommend both trips.

Diesel is $1.28 a litre at Karumba and $1.35 at B &W Road house.

The bird life is also worth looking at.

Monday morning we had a look around town and the point and headed back to the Isa.

Regards BooBoo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 12:53

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 12:53
Thanks for the info BooBoo, be a while yet before I can use it though. Still some names and places to put on the list.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 363323

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 15:27

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 15:27
Good stuff, BooBoo, shearermate & I ,plus cooks, hope to be in that area this time next year, including Lawn Hill. Probably go
through east of Isa as we have been there before.
cheers...oldbaz.
AnswerID: 363350

Reply By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 16:34

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 16:34
BooBoo - Yes you attempted a big trip for your first stint. Lawn hill is a day on it own without trying to get to Karumba. Staying at the point is my preference. If you have not got a boat, fishing off the beach with fillet mullet strips will get you a fish every time. You have to fish with big gear as you can hook up very large Jew Fish. Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 363361

Reply By: Member - Damien L (Cairns) - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 20:06

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 20:06
Great info BooBoo, I,m heading there in July. I,ll be going from Cairns via Dunbar to Karumba.
Hope to do some fishing while there.
Love the bush

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 363402

Sponsored Links