Any Feedback on Brown Davis

Submitted: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 13:10
ThreadID: 68533 Views:2663 Replies:10 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys

I have decided to get a 175 Litre replacement Long Range Tank installed in my 60 Series LC for my Simpson trip later this year. Im thinking that Brown Davis in Melbourne provide the best value. 175 Lt tank fully installed and fitted for $1100.

Am I doing the right thing using Brown Davis and getting the replacement tank

Any feedback on Brown Davis would be great

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 13:17

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 13:17
I have used three major brands over the past 5 years LRA, LongRanger (ARB) and Brown Davis. Currently have an 85 litre B-D sub tank in the GU and a B-D repaired and strengthened ARB main tank. Have found the products to be of excellent quality and customer service excellent. LRA are also very good. The other brand I'm more cautious of as previous issues and posts o this site will attest to. B-D spend a bit of extra time on their tanks ensuring that critical corners and the like are fuly reinforced and strengthened which some other manufacturers don't do.

Can't fault them and I think you'll be happy with your choice.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 363329

Reply By: troopy 2005 - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 16:06

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 16:06
Our LRT cracked ,the opposite lock is better.
AnswerID: 363355

Reply By: CraigB - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 16:17

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 16:17
My B-D cracked & leaked on its first outing to Cameron Corner. It was a pain in the you know what. To their credit B-D replaced the tank as soon as they were notified of the problem.
Regards
CraigB
AnswerID: 363358

Reply By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 17:00

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 17:00
If your sole purpose for getting a larger tank is to do the Simpson Desert trip then you may have other options that are less expensive. Have you considered a couple of gerry cans to give you the extra margin over the standard tanks? Three of these should come in under $100? Just a thought.
AnswerID: 363364

Follow Up By: Member - Mary W NW VIC - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 17:18

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 17:18
Have had a BD 130 litre replacement tank in the Landrover for 4 yrs.Has been excellent ,sturdy-been over some rough and rutted and rockywith out a dent.Is missing lots of paint though.Can't fault even considering their sill tanks.
Cheers,
Mary
"Some people walk in the rain,others just get wet."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 630988

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 17:25

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 17:25
I agree with Leigh. Having said that I have the BD 130 in the D2 and it is very strong. There are two massive dents in it from rolling over rocks but the welds and seems are solid.

I had to replace the OEM tank so used the opportunity to upsize at less cost than OEM. As it turned out the OEM was fine but a fuel line had been damaged by a rock.

I think with the dents I am back down from 130 L to 95 again :-(

Bob
FollowupID: 630990

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 17:40

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 17:40
I also agree with Leigh. If you fill up at Mt Dare, you'll probably get across on your main tank and have the jerries for spare fuel or side trips.

I personally wouldn't rely solely on a single aftermarket tank for a desert trip. If it cracks or you get dirty fuel, then you've got a huge problem. Better to have dual tanks or carry jerries, so you can cope with these potential problems.
FollowupID: 630993

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 08:39

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 08:39
I also agree with Leigh. I am planning a CSR trip and will carry extra fuel in jerries rather than the penalty of a larger weight penalty for the life of the vehicle.

It would also in my case, commit me to the wheel carrier on the back for the life of the vehicle unless of course I removed the LR tank and replaced it with the original. I can't see the point paying out to have a tank for just a couple of trips when you can provide in more convenient- over the long term ways.
FollowupID: 631116

Follow Up By: Crackles - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 13:42

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 13:42
"I can't see the point paying out to have a tank for just a couple of trips"....... And this extra range in reality is quite often only required for a couple of days on each trip so the long range tank effectively ends up costing $1100 to carry fuel for 5 to 10 days before the vehicle is sold. It's nice to have the fuel down low out of the way but at $100 a day it can be an expensive when there are other options often available.
My experience with Brown Davis tanks is a split in the side of the tank where it was mounted, of course at the most inconvienient time heading into the Simpson but that was quite a few years ago & would hope they have changed their construction techneques.
Cheers Craig.............
FollowupID: 631155

Reply By: Ken - Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 21:39

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 21:39
My experience wasn't too good, they fitted a 75 ltr sub tank in place of original new from dealer, left off the O-ring that seals the pump/sender unit in the top of the tank. Lucky it was diesel as on first fill up, fuel everywhere under a hot vehicle. Fixed it quickly but should never have happened.
Ken
AnswerID: 363414

Reply By: Member - GeeTee (NT) - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 08:25

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 08:25
Recently had both tanks replaced with Brown Davis extra capacity tanks. A couple of problems in the first instance. Incorrect size vent one the sub tank. Fittings were incorrect.
Apart from those "minor" problems all was good. The fuel guage reads full until you have done 300 odd Km's.
Happy with the help given by Brown Davis to the local installer and call after the install to check if I was happy with the tanks.
AnswerID: 363443

Reply By: Member - Michael J (SA) - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 12:12

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 12:12
Hi Falcon46,

Have fitted a 170lt replacement sub tank in my Troopy.

Had quite a wait for it to turn up, told them that if it takes 3 weeks to make then tell the customer exactly that. Don't say it will be a week if you know it takes longer.

I was lucky not to get the wrong tank initially, salesperson wrote down the part number for a different tank. Lucky for me I noticed.

Then it 'got lost' or forgotten in transit.

Then when it did arrive went to be fitted only to find they had sent the wrong sender.

All of these pita problems could have happened with any manufacturer I guess.

Having said that the tank is in and working ok. Pity about the guage tho' takes 60lt to read empty:)))

Cheers
Michael
AnswerID: 363473

Reply By: Member - Bucky, the "Mexican"- Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 05:24

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 05:24
Falcon46
I have a B-D 148 lt tank, (rear main), in the Patrol.

Love it !
Fitted it myself, 3-4 hrs No probs.
Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 363616

Reply By: Member - Bucky, the "Mexican"- Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 05:24

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 05:24
Falcon46
I have a B-D 148 lt tank, (rear main), in the Patrol.

Love it !
Fitted it myself, 3-4 hrs No probs.
Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 363617

Reply By: Member - Campergirl (NSW) - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 21:49

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 21:49
Hi falcon46

BD do good work but are renowned for being slow at delivery.

They used to do all the work for Ralliart - tanks and roll cages. Excellent work but always slow. They lost all the contracts due to saying one date but always being at least a month behind - which wasn't good enough due to deadlines.

I've just ordered a tank from them - they quoted 2 weeks but I'm expecting 2 months - not joking! They are really slow and always miss quote on time.

Give yourself plenty of time so you're not disappointed.

Good luck.

:-)
Lovin' it!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 363762

Sponsored Links