Shonky maps...... saving maps problem

Submitted: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 11:25
ThreadID: 68556 Views:3353 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Thank you to all that helped me to get my brain around the Garmin and maps loading, all is going ok but i have one problem. When i load a Shonky maps to the Garmin, it deletes or overwrites any previous Shonky maps that were previously loaded. How do you keep adding maps to the SD card and retain them all?? thanks in anticipation, Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: troopyman - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 11:35

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 11:35
Hi , i am new to this as well but from what i understand is that any new info overwrites the old info as you say . So i guess buy a bigger card and put all the maps to it at the one time .
AnswerID: 363470

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 12:36

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 12:36
Hi Michael,
thats correct, Garmin overwrite anything loaded earlier. The trick is to load the maps you want onto the card. Turn your gps on and go to your menu system, maps. Then highligt the map you want and either select or de-select it as required. If two differnt map sets are loaded onto the one card eg. shonky map plus Oztopo, the two different maps will overlay one another. So if there are any differences in the maps you may see 2 roads running paralell to each other when there should only be one. Hope this helps.
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 363476

Follow Up By: get outmore - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 12:53

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 12:53
ah - is that right you can have 2 at the same time
-perfect because i was getting a bit annoyed because while the shonky has more tracks no roads are named for me to reference off
FollowupID: 631149

Follow Up By: troopyman - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 13:02

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 13:02
With my garmin nuvi 255w i noticed that if i have the topo australia map ticked and the in built city navigator 2009 nt map ticked then the topo australia map will not show up . Only the in built one shows up . I have to untick the inbuilt one for the topo australia to show up . I realise others may be diffrent though .
FollowupID: 631151

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 13:56

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 13:56
Only "transparent" mapsets will show layers (mapsets) underneath....those like Contour Australia etc.

Mapsets have a priority number, which should relate to approximate map detail (if set up correctly when compiled). Hence the basemap will always be overlayed with other maps due to its low priority.

Andrew
FollowupID: 631156

Follow Up By: get outmore - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 13:59

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 13:59
doesnt sound likely then

- still i will leave both ticked and see what happens next time
FollowupID: 631157

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 13:55

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 13:55
Hi - you can also have several compiled map files loaded if you use differnet filenames

e.g. Standard file created by Mapsource is gmapsupp.img. You can also have one called gmapprom.img (standard on Nuvis with city nav preloaded I believe) and one called gmapprom1.img. You can also have two gmapsupp.img files - one on internal memory and one on the SD card (if you have one). I think the gmapprom.img files only work from internal memory but not sure. There are a series of file names for basemaps and 3d maps but again not sure if these can be used for mapsource created maps.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 363481

Reply By: DesF - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 14:37

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 14:37
Hi. What we have found is, if you want to load multiple maps onto a card to put into the GPS this is the way, open Mapsource and select " Map tool" and then select one of the maps you want to load from you list , the draw over the map covering all of it you want ( changes to pink), then select the next map you want and do the same , untill you have them all done .
We did Shonky Maps All versions , Oz topo, Tracks Aust 4.
Then plug in your unit and select " to device" after it has found it tick "Maps" and the send, it will load them all as one file . then on the unit , open "Map Info" and select the one you want to use , if you tick them all City Navigator will over ride them.
As far as I know that is a factory setting which you can't over ride, ( please correct me if I am wrong ).
If you want to add another map to the card , you have to go and load them all at once or the last one will over ride the others.
This works on a Streetpilot 2610, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 760 and a Streetpilot C510.
Cheers Des.
AnswerID: 363485

Follow Up By: DesF - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 14:41

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 14:41
Sorry forgot that if you have a card reader , load the card on there or if only the unit make sure you select the card letter listed in My Computer ( "F" ,"G" "H") , if you load them to the unit it will fill up the internal memory ( depending on model).
Cheers Des.
FollowupID: 631161

Sponsored Links