Which Lights for Camper Trailer

Submitted: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 15:13
ThreadID: 68561 Views:12502 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G'day All,

As we have a camper trailer and fining it hard to purchase reasonable bright 12v and 240v lights for the inside and annexe areas we are wondering what type you other camper's use, and where you purchase them.

Thanks P&J
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul Mac (VIC) - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 15:20

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 15:20
G'day P

I have a similar camper to you and don't use any inside lighting apart from the built in 12v reading lights but I do use a Coleman Northstar duel fuel lantern under the awning. Its the lantern with the electronic starter and the long mantle. It will light up an area half the size of a football field.....lol

Many people say they prefer LED lighting. Doesn't draw much power and can be purchased in strips and placed wherever you want the light.

Tip: I don't have a light above the kitchen area as it can attract bugs which can drop into your cooking. Yuck !

Cheers
AnswerID: 363491

Follow Up By: PandJ - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 15:51

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 15:51
Hi Paul,

We have the same camper as you, and have been in contact via this media before.

Ok on no light near the kitchen, I would like on located more towards the rear. Head about the LED lights but can't find a distributer anywhere. Cheers
FollowupID: 631169

Follow Up By: Member - Tony F (NSW) - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 22:05

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 22:05
Hi Paul, I contacted you the other day. You have me thinking about the North Star that I do not need. Apart from my twin dual fuel I forgot to mention that another really easy way to go with lighting is the new low consumption high out put flouro globes that all houses are now supposed to be going to. I have a pure sine 300 W inverter. I went pure sine to make sure any expesive gear that i plug into it, like my lap top does not get dammaged.
An old bed side lamp, a 100 w fluro globe equals a bit over 1 amp draw on your battery, and what a light. Switch on swithch off, easy. Not that robust, but cheap. Easy around the camper cooking area. Even yellow mossie globes available. Try it.
Cheers Tony F
FollowupID: 631908

Follow Up By: Member - Tony F (NSW) - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 22:07

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 22:07
Hi Paul, I contacted you the other day. You have me thinking about the North Star that I do not need. Apart from my twin dual fuel I forgot to mention that another really easy way to go with lighting is the new low consumption high out put flouro globes that all houses are now supposed to be going to. I have a pure sine 300 W inverter. I went pure sine to make sure any expesive gear that i plug into it, like my lap top does not get dammaged.
An old bed side lamp, a 100 w fluro globe equals a bit over 1 amp draw on your battery, and what a light. Switch on swithch off, easy. Not that robust, but cheap. Easy around the camper cooking area. Even yellow mossie globes available. Try it.
Cheers Tony F
FollowupID: 631909

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 15:54

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 15:54
P&J,

You can source LED Versalites from here

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 363493

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 20:45

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 20:45
Thanks very much Kev!!!
Now there is something else I definitely "must have".

Think I'll put it in the futures category. I currently have three 12 volt lights of various types, although the 68 LED one has dropped a row of 3 LED's. Still working and is good enough for the cooking area of the annex as the LED's don't attract insects.

The Piranha (Versalite) and the Evakool Torpedo are beauties and get regular workouts.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 631218

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 15:53

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 15:53
I know I have the same problem, I wish the EO Shop would stop stocking such stuff ;)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 631380

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 22:44

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 22:44
Just got a 6 LED work light for the back of the car. Claimed the light output of a 50 watt quartz halogen. Very bright to look at from several metres away. Fantastic for a 6 LED 12v light, probably a softer light than the harsh beam but it is great
FollowupID: 631916

Reply By: Sigmund - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 16:59

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 16:59
1 metre rope style LED light here . Longer lenghts available.

Otherwise I use compact fluoros in Arlec worklights. Not partic bright but easy to mount and move and reasonably durable. Doesn't draw much.
AnswerID: 363508

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 17:16

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 17:16
Inside the camper - we use a 12V LED handheld lamp (hung form the roof) - has lots of LED's, is very bright, draws little power but is quite directional (not much 'spread').... about $50 at Supercheap. The 12V fluoro lamps have much better spread and 'even-ness' of light but cost a lot more and use more power - if you have a decent battery though, I'd go for the latter. For outdoors we use the LED headlamps - wonderful things - and $10 at Australia Post buys one of the best performing lamps we've ever had ! No need anymore to pay $75+ for the famous name lamps, in my view.
AnswerID: 363514

Reply By:- Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 18:18

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 18:18
G'day P&J,

This link has the lights we made. They are a flouro in a work light casing from Bunnings. I have one as a 240v and the other I just cut the plug off and connected a 12v plug and use with a 12v flouro. They are good because they give great light and you can hang them anywhere you need.

http://www.campertrailers.org/tuco's_lights.htm

Cheers
Evan
AnswerID: 363521

Reply By: Mandrake - Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 19:19

Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 19:19
I just bought a 91 LED worklamp from this mob
LED Link

Unfortunately its not as bright as I had hoped but I still haven't used it out in the "real" world so it may be OK - I also have twin 12 LED worklamps from them also in the Camper to read at night with - they are OK .. I also have 2 small led tubes that run on 0.1 amps and have 5 or 6 super bright LEDS can pop those up anywhere ..
And the saver is the tiny wind-up generator 4 led torch found in $2 shops for between 15 and 20 dollars only the size of a matchbox but great for hunting through bags for things at night .. especially my camera bag !!

Cheers Mandrake
AnswerID: 363541

Reply By: PandJ - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 14:05

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 14:05
Thanks for your replies, suggestions and ideas. Note some of you did not mention brand names which would be handy.

cheers P&J
AnswerID: 363688

Sponsored Links