Do unattended tents "walk"

Submitted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:02
ThreadID: 68601 Views:5492 Replies:19 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Again from a novice at camping.

We have a 6 week trip to the Gibb River Road in the Kimberley starting in 2 weeks (!!!!).

Do things like unattended tents etc get stolen or the kit inside them go?

eg: Set up camp one day and leaving camp set up with everything put into the tent and drive around the next day and back to camp for the evening.

What are our chances of it being there when we come back to camp?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:08

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:08
Have you seen Wolfe Creek?

Walking tents are the least of your worries ;-)
AnswerID: 363652

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:10

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:10
Haven't been anywhere. As I said we were novices. What do you mean by "least of your worries"?
FollowupID: 631305

Follow Up By: Rod W - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:57

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:57
Hey Bob I brought that DVD the other day, haven't watched it yet.
FollowupID: 631317

Follow Up By: troopy 2005 - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 12:37

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 12:37
dont bother its crap.
FollowupID: 631345

Follow Up By: Dunco (NSW) - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 12:58

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 12:58
It's ok vk1dx...they are talking about an Australian Movie ... a bloke goes around killing backpackers and such. :-)
FollowupID: 631351

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:12

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:12
To leave your camp set up is generally OK, it is only very rarely that you hear of things being stolen.

Keep attractive items out of sight and you should be OK

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 363653

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:15

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:15
Thanks Kev. Thats what we were hoping would be the case.

Also reading a blog not too long ago and the writer was complaining about their site being invaded while they were out. Moved their things to set up their own.

Is this common or just a rare happening?
FollowupID: 631307

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:35

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:35
If you keep all your gear within your allotted camping spot then your gear should not have to be moved for other campers to set up.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 631311

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 14:44

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 14:44
If you set up your camp in the middle of an area that's big enough for two (making the two half-camps either side useless), there are quite a few people who will move your gear.
FollowupID: 631366

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 15:16

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 15:16
Hi vk1dx,
It might have been my blog that you were reading about our camp site being "taken over" while we were away. That happened at Middle Lagoon last year, the "invaders" were, by the look of them, very novice campers trying to get out of some very strong wind.

If you leave a tent set up you should be fine if you do as others suggest and lock valuables up. In our case we sleep in the vehicle and have a tent that attaches off the back of same which of course is packed up when we move the vehicle. The only way we have to "claim" our spot is to leave out table and chairs, washing etc. Plus we were close to our friend's rig, but on this occasion all of that didn't mean anything. But it was a minor incident and no harm done.

Relax and enjoy GRR, it is a wonderful trip. In all our years of travelling we have never lost anything.

Cheers
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 631373

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 15:39

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 15:39
Hi John

Yes you are correct. It was your, or should I say Val's, report on your trip up there.

I was going to talk to you about this subject last meeting but as usual it "slipped" my mind.

Hows you trip looking? We got the drop down fridge slide last week and that was the last item we needed to complete the setup for the first trip. Two weeks are we are "not here". You should be very close by now also.

I know this is well in advance but do you know anyone planning to go from here up to the Cape?

Phil and Sue

try: vk1dx@bigpond.net.au

FollowupID: 631377

Reply By: Rod W - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:20

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:20
Its all a matter of the location, luck and the risk you're prepared to take.
AnswerID: 363654

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:32

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:32
Yeah Thought that would be the case. I just dont want to turn up at one of the camp grounds at 5PM and find them full.

Do you know if the camps fill up this time of year? We are there mid June for 10 days on the GBR.

We are more interested in looking at the place as opposed to camping and don't want to spend half the time sitting down in the camp.

Eg: Windjana, Drsedale, Mitchells Falls, Honeymoon Beach, Home Valley and El Questro (camp not cabin - too rich for us).

Hope I am not bothering you Rod.

Phil
FollowupID: 631310

Follow Up By: Member - Footloose - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:39

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:39
Things do tend to get a bit hectic at that time of year. If in doubt ring ahead as per normal. Or simply book before you go. There's nothing worse than finding no room at the Inn.
FollowupID: 631312

Follow Up By: Rod W - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:54

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:54
No your not bothering me Phil. I can't help you very much as its very rare that I go/use these public/group camp grounds. When I go bush its in out of the way bush places thus away from the masses.
FollowupID: 631316

Reply By: Moose - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:33

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:33
Just don't leave anything really valuable in the tent. Always take it with you in the car.
We've travelled and tented for yonks and have never lost anything (to other people - have left a few things behind unintentionally!).
Yes it could happen that you lose something but I reckon you'd be unlucky.
We don't even bother putting everything in the tent - looks like you have something to hide.
BTW - Bob was just pulling your leg.
Hope you have a great trip.
Cheers from the Moose
AnswerID: 363655

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:40

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:40
went off and read about the movie "Wolfe Creek" and the reasong behind the movie. Thats one for you Bob. You owe me a beer mate.

FollowupID: 631313

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:35

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:35
It's a highly unusual occurance , especially in more remote campsites. More common in towns, where the theives can nick in and out quickly.
Don't leave anything valuable within sight, and you'll usually be Ok. If in a campground, tell the caretakers of your plans and ask em to keep an eye on your stuff.
Dn't be paranoid about it. You and your gear are safer in the bush than you are in the cities.
AnswerID: 363656

Reply By: Tony - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:37

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:37
Mostly you will find the people that take the troble to go to those areas, are just like you and I, there for the experience.

But as mentioned don't leave attractive things exposed when you are not in camp.

Have a great trip, you will enjoy it.
AnswerID: 363657

Reply By: vk1dx - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:49

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:49
Are you kidding. We are going to have a ball. Even if the tent walks we are not going to let a little thing like that bother us.

All valuables go in the car. Even when we are in camp. Thats why it is alarmed. That a must.

But its interesting that when we sleeep in the car you have to be careful you don't arm the security. It went off one night when I was on the driving course. I couldn't find enough rocks to hide under. Oh well.

Thanks and if anyone happens to see us please hop on over and say Hi. YGH88E LC 100 series.
AnswerID: 363662

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:58

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 10:58
You mean that you were snoring so loud that the errm, "vibrations" set off the alarm????

Wow!!!

;-))

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 631318

Follow Up By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 11:00

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 11:00
We have spoken to a lot of people travelling and the only time anyone has had trouble is in caravan parks or parked in a carpark near a town doing a tourist walk ie out to the end of a jetty. Mongrels in town know you are visiting and watch for you to leave. In the bush we have left our stuff out and never had a thing flogged. If anything it is the opposite and other campers help out. We have had people move our solar panel for us while we were away so it gets sun all day.
As said early, the people in these areas are there for the same reason as you.
We did the Gib last year, you will love it.

Josh
FollowupID: 631320

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 11:14

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 11:14
Hi Ed

We can sleep in the back of our LC. All "extra" seats have been remooved and there is enough room for a double bed in there now.

Anyway I put the key under the pillow and must have pushed the "lock" button soemtime while I was asleep. That enabled the alarm and when I moved I set it off. You have to laugh though. Just imagine it. Dead to the world and the horn and alarm start sounding. First thing you do is sit straight up. Being on the bed in the back meant that my head met the roof in quick fashion. Then I had to find the key which went west when I accidently pushed the pillow out of the way. No lights apart from the headlights flashing. It took ages to find the key. Felt like two hours. By this time all the others in the camp were awake. Luckily we were all mates as it was a club training trip.Well I think we are all mates. I was the club joke for a while. All in fun though. Just imagine what it would have been like if it was a public camp ground. Don't want even to go there.
FollowupID: 631327

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 11:10

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 11:10
While we were on Cape York we heard a few stories of things going missing from unattended campsites. I thought it pretty strange because I had never had a problem and I have done plenty of camping.

While we were in Weipa the culprits showed up. They were very obviously out of character for campers. They looked and acted differently to everyone in the campsite. The caretaker actually caught them in the act of steeling and the Police took care of it.

As others have said problems of this nature are very unusual. Some common sense precautions are usually advisable and have all been suggested above. Have a look around the campsites, you will see plenty of unattended camps.

They only place I have lost anything was in a caravan park in a large regional city. I no longer take a site close to the edge of the park always in the middle.

Duncs
AnswerID: 363668

Reply By: Anthony (Vic) - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 11:22

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 11:22
Maybe you need to consider stuff being pinch by Dingo's. While staying at Kings Cayon, I saw a couple of Dingo's going through a tent camp site looking for an easy meal.

I tried throwing a few stones to scare them off but they they just moved off and waited until I was gone.
AnswerID: 363670

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 11:27

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 11:27
They aren't stupid are they?
FollowupID: 631332

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 14:07

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 14:07
The Kings Canyon Resort CPs are cheeky; they even come in during the day. People leave their dogs chained to their vans when they go to the Canyon and the dingoes pinch the dog food from them.

Food stuff, shoes and the like should never be left out when bush camping.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 631363

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 22:16

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 22:16
The Palm Valley dingoes knocked off a nearly full 5 kg bag of bread mix from one of those square platforms right next to my swag (while I was asleep).

If you see a dingo at PV with white powder around his muzzle he hasn't been snorting coke.

Bob
FollowupID: 631431

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 22:21

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 22:21
Hi Bob

We saw one walking along the creek in the middle of the afternoon soon after we arrived. He was a light dusty all over colour - must have rolled in your bag of flour.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 631433

Reply By: vk1dx - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 11:29

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 11:29
It sounds like "a fair go" is still alive. At least in the bush.
AnswerID: 363671

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 12:13

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 12:13
The camps won't be full in June along the GRR, but July may be a different story.

No worries about security. The travellers who go that far aren't interested in stealing tents. In fact they will look after their neighbours. We were at the King Edward River camp (Mitchell Plateau), we had a blocked jet on the generator. A trio with camper trailers who had arrived late the previous evening and set up close to us came over - one had the right tool to remove the jet, another the knowledge of what to do and the third something fine enough to clean the jet. A bit later, we help a tour operator make do with some brushes we had on a spare water pump for his starter motor. All good people. Just try stopping on the roadside, and everyone stops to make sure you OK; one lady called to the seventh car that stopped "I just want to pee".

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 363678

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 12:50

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 12:50
Gday
Just remember to turn off the iron when you leave.
Murray
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 363681

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 13:09

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 13:09
I know we travel well these days. Even in the bush.

But having to press the suit each morning is taking things a bit too far!!!
FollowupID: 631352

Reply By: Dunco (NSW) - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 13:00

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 13:00
And try not to leave food lying around as the wildlife will take it...and they make more mess than a thief !!
AnswerID: 363683

Reply By: Travelling Pixie - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 13:20

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 13:20
we use a little combination lock on the zipper tabs to discourage but not prevent intruders. Figure it might be just enough to stop someone "slipping in and out"

we also took a small wire to run through (tie up) our gear if we were away or at night time but we never felt the need to use it.

pack valuables in the vehicle or locked in the trailer. keep your site tidy.

my experience has been that you are more likely to lose valuables or gear in parks within towns. GRR camping spots seemed to be fairly good when we went last year.

and these spots do fill up but perhaps not in June - certainly July-August they are well used. if you get there after 5pm then you can expect some of the crappier camp spots available (next to the dunnies or the main entrance to the camp sites)

some people do feel the need to camp right on top of other people in these places, even when there is huge areas available nearby. i would often park my vehicle closest to our sleeping area to get a small buffer from potential neighbours.
AnswerID: 363684

Reply By: offroad Bob - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 13:27

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 13:27
I have a rough rule and that is leave nothing unattended that you could not afford to replace or live without. This means most stuff goes back in the car or if not I carry a chain and padlock so things can get locked up.

Engle fridges and generators are very popular to disappear but as others have said usually when close to towns. These I pack away everytime as I could not afford to replace easily. Electronics go back in the car. The solar panel is difficult one. I pack it away but I have seen others leave it out. For an overnighter I would pack everything away.

Tents, chairs, water bottles and storage boxes are usually OK.

The worst in the Kimberleys or anywhere with dingos is they love to get into anything. Rubber thongs and other footwear is a favourite that they take off with at night. Birds will often come into camp and open plastic tubs to get at your food. So the worst thieves in remote campsites would be the wildlife.

Bob

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 363685

Follow Up By: Welldone WA - Friday, May 08, 2009 at 01:36

Friday, May 08, 2009 at 01:36
It seems dingoes everywhere have a shoe fetish , footwear needs to be placed up out of reach of those kinky canines.

Many camp-sites are sometimes over-run with a myriad of small black thieves that'll target your food stores, bedding and get into just about everything else , some surface bug spray applied to things that contact the ground [e.g. table legs] usually keeps those pesky ants at bay [at least for a little while]
FollowupID: 631453

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 14:47

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 14:47
Mark your name conspicuously on the tent etc.

Mkakes it harder to sell and makes criminals more concerned about being caught with goods that clearly aren't theirs.
AnswerID: 363693

Reply By: DIO - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 18:48

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 18:48
No - but it has been known that light fingered people (fellow campers) will steal anything not under constant supervision/control.
AnswerID: 363725

Reply By: Big Woody - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 18:58

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 18:58
I have spent quite a lot of time on the road camping and the only times I have ever had things stolen have been when camped inside caravan parks.

BW
AnswerID: 363726

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 23:15

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 23:15
True BW

We've never had anything stolen, but if we have to go to a CP, we are careful of security. This is not because of anyone else in the park, but in some towns, there are people who take advantage of the easy pickings in a CP. They would not find it worth their while to go out of town for what little cash and saleable items they could find in a camper's gear.

Prior to having the caravan, we used to camp on the back of the ute, and if at a CP, would leave the Engel plugged into the power, and a chair or two to 'mark' our bay as occupied when we went touring for the day. We used to try and camp with the 'oldies' who were wintering in the north partly so they could keep an eye on our gear.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 631444

Reply By: cranswick - Friday, May 08, 2009 at 19:59

Friday, May 08, 2009 at 19:59
One idea is to leave a radio on in your tent when your out and the door closed so anyone approaching the tent will hear it and assume theres someone inside the tent listening to the radio.
AnswerID: 363921

Sponsored Links