Engine Saver

Submitted: Friday, May 08, 2009 at 00:33
ThreadID: 68624 Views:3290 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Have seen a few posts on this forum about the "Engine Saver" and so bit the bullet and bought one.
Just finished putting the it on my 80 series cruiser today and I have to say I'm impressed with it. I went for the new dual (temperature and low water) alarm model. cost $249
Took me about 4 hours work (trying to find the ignition wire behind the dash is a nightmare on the cruiser).
You get an adapter that fits in the top radiator hose with a low water sensor and a temperature sensor that you just bolt to the head.
I have been worried for some time with the lack of indication on the temp gauge ( doesn't alter when pulling hard and yet you can smell and feel the extra heat in the motor). This unit is quite sensitive and on the road test I did after fitting it, when you pull up a small hill the alarm sounds showing the increase in Temp. It has manual adjustment so you can set it to a higher temp and the low water alarm is brilliant.

Fortunately I have never run a motor out of water but I reckon I now have more chance of avoiding it if it ever happens.

Does anyone have any feedback on these units that I should be aware of.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, May 08, 2009 at 00:51

Friday, May 08, 2009 at 00:51
Yeah good gear.
i just fitted one also to the Troopy.
The temp gauge is well worth the piece of mind and the low coolant alarm is a bonus.

I just wired the unit to the cigarette lighter/accessory power feed so much easier to find then muck around with the ignition wiring directly.
So long as the unit powers up when the ignition is on.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 363792

Follow Up By: Member - Rodney B- Friday, May 08, 2009 at 09:13

Friday, May 08, 2009 at 09:13
Hi John
After pulling out half the dash to try and get to the ign fuse (this was the only source I could find that was on the ign circuit) and being frustrated by an irremovable hand throttle cable, I eventually wired into the auxiliary circuit that powered my UHF radio. I figure the power draw from the unit when we sit with the CD on will be negligible.
I particularly like the fact that you are measuring the temp of the metal on the cyl head and as you said should pick up the other problems as well as water loss.

Cheers
FollowupID: 631482

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Friday, May 08, 2009 at 07:02

Friday, May 08, 2009 at 07:02
Hi Rod,
Money well spent IMO.
The Low Coolant Alarm alerts you of low coolant whether your driving or you have just start it up. And now with the accurate temp gauge it allows you to monitor your engine for changes in temp that can be caused for other reasons, Broken fan belts, Clogged radiator, etc.
It's the next thing on my wish list. I wish I had one fitted two years ago when I warped the head on my 80. It would of let me know of a problem well before the temp had started to rise.
Yeap money well spent.

AnswerID: 363800

Reply By: Mikee5 (Logan QLD) - Friday, May 08, 2009 at 15:54

Friday, May 08, 2009 at 15:54
Hey Rod,
When I fitted my engine saver to my 100, I tapped into the windscreen wiper motor power under the bonnet. This is only live when the key is on and much easier than messing around under the dash, sorry this is too late to help you but it might help someone else.
AnswerID: 363862

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, May 08, 2009 at 18:30

Friday, May 08, 2009 at 18:30
In addition to Mike's suggestion, you can get fused IGN power off the black power box behind the RHS headlight on the 80series, and also from the middle wire on the wiper motor.
FollowupID: 631559

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Friday, May 08, 2009 at 18:48

Friday, May 08, 2009 at 18:48
Yep, I have run a wire from the AUX power box to run my UHF and also a other cigarette lighter plug in the back near the rear speaker. very handy for using fluro's and other things.
I went through the accelerator grommet, with some sikaflex to seal it.
In the AUX power box you have the choice of, Ignition , Accessories or on all the time.

FollowupID: 631566

Follow Up By: Al-one - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 19:42

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 19:42
Mikee5,
I have to connect up a relay to a friends 100 series diesel shortly. He wants it controlled in either the auxilarly or the ignition position of the ignition switch. Could you give me some idea where ( or colour) to find this wiper wire to save me some time probing around.
Cheers,
Al-one
FollowupID: 631745

Follow Up By: Mikee5 (Logan QLD) - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 20:09

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 20:09
Under the bonnet, left hand side . Wiper motor has a plug with 5 wires. Pull the plug and test each wire with voltmeter when ignition is on and off. Work out which is the feed wire go back down the loom a couple of inched and tap into it. Because I have taped mine up tight I can't see which wire it is any more. Hope this helps.
FollowupID: 631755

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 20:09

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 20:09
The BLUE one

FollowupID: 631756

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 18:29

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 18:29
Rodney
Money well spent , I have the same one as you and have been fitting it for about 6 weeks....I'm a gunnado , anyhow I finally made the move during the week, to that big sensor lug through I cut the line to get it through.... big mistake but with some know how I have rejoined it very painstakenly with solder so will finish off the project maybe tomorrow and give the temp' part of it the test, the Low Water alarm part worked ok when I earthed the braided wire, I have been using the V1 and V2 for the last 2 and half years and I swear I'll never be without one again.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 364039

Follow Up By: Member - Mary W NW VIC - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 20:25

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 20:25
It's a truly great bit of Aussie gear .A necessary addition to the landy drivers' peace of mind.
"Some people walk in the rain,others just get wet."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 631760

Sponsored Links