200 series suspension upgrades

Submitted: Friday, May 08, 2009 at 08:54
ThreadID: 68632 Views:2780 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Anyone upgraded their 200 series cruiser suspension yet. If so how much extra height did it give you.

For the front is it easier and cheaper to just put in strut spacers.

Greg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Friday, May 08, 2009 at 09:11

Friday, May 08, 2009 at 09:11
Hi Greg,

I opted for the ARB suspension which gives an average 50mm lift. The front end went up 65mm while the rear went up 30mm. I fitted the heavy duty front springs (I have the steel ARB roo bar and plan a winch) and the standard weight rear springs.

While one could just put in spacers on the front (and rear), as I had increased the weight I wanted the heavier springs and shocks. But if you are happy with the current suspension and are only after a higher ride height then spacers should be fine.

One of the advantages of the replacement springs/shocks is the increased wheel travel, spacers don't give you that. Also, the dive under brakes is virtually eliminated, that was something that annoyed me. But the "limousine" ride becomes much firmer, all depends on your tastes and where you plan to use the vehicle. Also, when towing my camper, there is virtually no drop in rear ride height now where before it would noticeably drop.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 363815

Reply By: Member - Broe (WA) - Friday, May 08, 2009 at 09:53

Friday, May 08, 2009 at 09:53
If you are a poser and only drive around town, then get the spacers, but after looking at your last rig, you don't seem like one so I would definitely not touch them. This is an extract from a forum that sums it up nicely.

"One thing to keep in mind when using spacers like you plan to do...it will effectively lower the bottoming out point of the strut to that same distance before the bump stops.

For example....if you fit a 1" spacer on top of your 40mm raised strut.....your strut will now bottom out 25mm before the lower control arm hits the bump stop.

if you do not extend your bump stops then you risk overloading your front suspension because they will bottom out first possibly causing it to collapse or break.

Dont forget, what ever distance you want to limit your uptravel, half it, and that is the thickness of the spacer required at the bump stop."

And this after suspension failure crossing the Simpson

"I reckon the spacers had a huge influence, The more I spoke about it, the more I learned

The front was fully compressed and unloaded quite alot crossing the sand ridges of the Simpson. The overcompressing would have damaged the shock, and now its not working properly the full extension basically tried to pull the thing apart."

I hope this puts you off putting spacers in.

If I had spent all that money on a 200 Series, I would either be putting in a OME kit, or if you can afford it, an King and Big bore Koni system in, but that is my opinion and 2 cents worth.

Broe

AnswerID: 363820

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Friday, May 08, 2009 at 10:04

Friday, May 08, 2009 at 10:04
Hi Greg, old mate, is the Nissan getting the flick? lol
FollowupID: 631490

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Friday, May 08, 2009 at 10:06

Friday, May 08, 2009 at 10:06
This should have been in Post Reply sorry
FollowupID: 631491

Reply By: Member - greg S (QLD) - Friday, May 08, 2009 at 19:17

Friday, May 08, 2009 at 19:17
Hi all,

Bruce, Mate I can only wish it was mine the suspension kit was going on, but alas it is not to be. I still have the trusty Patrol (I say I because the better half hates the thing except when it takes her to Fraser Island)

Thanks for the info guy's. I probably should of said it was for my brother in the thread but was in a bit of a hurry to get up to Bundaberg for the day, sorry.

I will let him know what others have done. He was actually going to leave the shocks in and upgrade to heavier duty springs (the shop he went to said it would be ok). I said you should actually go for a complete kit with matching springs and shocks.

Anyway thanks very much for the info as it is greatly appreciated and will give my brother more info to think over to try to get the setup that suits him. By the way the cruiser is a V8 petrol GXL.

I thought the spacer idea was a bit silly, but thought I would ask anyway. I prefer to go for a complete kit myself. Just trying to get all the info I can for him so he can decide.

Cheers Greg

AnswerID: 363914

Sponsored Links