New to camping

Submitted: Friday, May 08, 2009 at 19:45
ThreadID: 68647 Views:2473 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi - we are new to camping but we are very keen to find out a great campsite in the south east queensland corner for the June long weekend. We only have a 2WD. Any good suggestions? Cheers!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rumpig - Friday, May 08, 2009 at 20:19

Friday, May 08, 2009 at 20:19
do you want showers or toilets or both. look at Girraween just down past Stanthorpe (though could already be booked out), also Bigriggen if you want somewhere with showers.
really need to know what your looking for (ie: toilets, showers, walking tracks, or even creeks and fishing) to be of more help.
AnswerID: 363926

Follow Up By: naturalblonde - Friday, May 08, 2009 at 20:44

Friday, May 08, 2009 at 20:44
Hmmmmm ..... shows how new I am to this camping forum thing. Would prefer toilets & showers - walking tracks are a bonus. Girraween isn't booked out but I thought it might be a little cool at that time of year. Fishing not necessary. Cheers again.
FollowupID: 631584

Reply By: BenDiD - Friday, May 08, 2009 at 21:37

Friday, May 08, 2009 at 21:37
Try Charlie Moreland north of Brisbane near Kenilworth.

It has toilets, fireplaces (BYO firewood which you can buy at servos), no showers BUT it does have one of the best swimming holes of any SE Qld campground I've been to, so if you feel a bit gritty a quick dip and you're right. If you follow the track that runs upstream from the campground swimming hole for a few minutes there is another large sandy swimming hole and places where the water races over the rocks for a natural spa.

Another plus is that the drive is easy and scenic - head to Maleny have a coffee there for a break, then go inland and follow the Mary River till you get to Sunday Creek and turn left along Sunday Creek Rd. Its about a 20 min drive on gravel, but the road is in very good condition and most of the cars are 2WD.

If you burn the snags you can be in Kenilworth in 30 minutes and buy a meal at the pub. On your way home you can go through Kenilworth then Mapleton (have a steak at the pub for lunch) drive back down the range to Monteville and back to Vegas. Or if you feel like a swim in the surf, go Kenilworth to Eumundi then down to Noosa, or after Monteville go to Caloundra.

A very family sort of ground, fairly quiet no yobbos. Plus lots of goannas and paddemelons (little wallaby creatures).

There is a great book "Camping in Queensland" which you can buy in news agents or camping stores. It is cheap (~$12) and cheaply printed but has good info on every campground in Qld written by the authors and who've actually stayed there.

GOOD LUCK

AnswerID: 363941

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 08:35

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 08:35
BenDID,
somehow me thinks this 'naturalblonde' would not feel right at home with lots of goannas and little wallaby creatures running around their camp site, not to mention that other major 'native' pest out there :-)

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 631613

Reply By: Miss Jo - Toad Keeper - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 19:02

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 19:02
Kenilworth is a great suggestion for newbies to camping.. I was going to suggest Borumba Deer Park which is 20 min or so out of Kenilworth.

Borumba Deer Park

make sure you get a camp spot down on the lower terrace, but book asap.
AnswerID: 364044

Sponsored Links