Nissan/Toyota/Landrover/etc Assist?

Submitted: Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 08:49
ThreadID: 68656 Views:3229 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
All the vehicle manufacturers these days have a roadside assist plan of some sort. Most/all claim to cover your new vehicle anywhere in Australia if you breakdown during the new vehicle warranty period. I'm heading off on a 10 week trip shortly that takes in some pretty remote areas like the Pilbara, Great Central Road, Simpson Desert - you get the picture. I was wondering if these so-call "anywhere in Australia roadside assist programs" will see Mr Nissan/Toyota/Landrover come to the French Line to fix/recover my broken truck.
Mind you I'm not confident nor will I rely on Mr Nissan/Toyota/Landrover to come get me but just wondering if anyone has actually had any experience with these programs in remote areas.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushwhacker - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 09:16

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 09:16
Hi Patrol22, I could be wrong about Mr Toyota etc, but many used car dealers that offer similar cover just sign you up to the NRMA in NSW or the RACQ etc in other states. That way, you get roadside assist, and Mr Toyota doesnt personally have to get out of bed to help you. However........ not too sure how it would go in the remote areas that you are talking about, but a few on here have had roadside assist from NRMA on their travels. Maybe you would have to pay to get your vehicle to the nearest NRMA depot (or similar organisation), then get 'free' help. Like I said, I could be wrong, but I will be taking out roadside cover before my first 'big' trip, for sure. 'Whacker
AnswerID: 363965

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 09:19

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 09:19
Thanks Bushwacker. You are right about the NRMA etc as I've had cause to use Nissan Assist but in a town. Called Nissan 1800 number and about an hour later NRMA turns up - that was in Canberra. I also have the NRMA top cover but just trying to ascertain if any of this is "usable" in remote areas.
FollowupID: 631622

Follow Up By: Member - desray (WA) - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 09:30

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 09:30
Most of the big name car manufacturers like Nissan Toyota, Holden ect use the NRMA or RAC clubs as roadside assist . ,If you ring the NRMA or RAC they will tell you what and were its covered . Usually any "named road " not dirt track is ok .
FollowupID: 631629

Follow Up By: Member - Footloose - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 09:32

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 09:32
RACQ have an "ultra care" thing where you pay extra. I asked them where they wouldn't cover me.
You're not covered on an island, or a non gazetted road or track.
What about the Plenty Highway ? Covered. etc etc .
If they can get a truck to you then they will.
Now I'm betting that this is going to cost. But at least when you break down on the Birdsville track you're not on your own.
FollowupID: 631630

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 13:45

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 13:45
Footy,

"RACQ have an "ultra care" thing where you pay extra. I asked them where they wouldn't cover me.
You're not covered on an island, or a non gazetted road or track"

So if you are on an island they will not cover you.

Australia is an island???

Wayne
FollowupID: 631678

Follow Up By: Member - Footloose - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 14:18

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 14:18
Wayne. so is Fraser and Moreton. Anywhere that their trucks have to get a ferry over and back they won't cover.
Don't know why.
So Australia is covered.
FollowupID: 631684

Follow Up By: tim_c - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 19:47

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 19:47
Did you think about how you're going to call the RAC/NRMA out to the middle of the Simpson? Do you have a satellite phone or does the RAC/NRMA use HF radio...?
FollowupID: 632045

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 20:29

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 20:29
Satphone works a treat.
FollowupID: 632066

Reply By: wild dog - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 09:46

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 09:46
Having worked for RACQ and the WA equivalent in the Kimberleys I can assure you that if you break down in a remote area the state organisation will arrange to get you.
The crunchy bit is how much you are prepared to pay !! If you're stuck at Mitchell Falls and can't get another traveller to help you it may surprise you what the state motoring organisation will want to get you to Kununurra.
A lot of travellers get very antsy when the breakdown truck may be several hours away from the particular dot on the map where their vehicle decides to call it quits. Some also seem to think that they're the only ones who need help at that time.
Most Aussies are normally prepared to wait in good humour, the same can't be said for a lot of backpackers and visitors from other countries who seem to think the breakdown truck is conveniently positioned a few k's down the road. Some very terse words have been exchanged in situations where travellers have had to wait a considerable time and been given a substantial bill to get them back to a repair shop.
My advice is to take adequate water and food.
Once picked up 5 young pommie blokes near Turkey Creek who had 2 litres of water between them and that had been given to them by a passer by.
AnswerID: 363969

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 09:52

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 09:52
Thanks for that wild dog..I'm the patient type and happy to wait a few days if the need be as I am very self contained with 80ltrs of water on board and usually enough food for a fortnight or more.
FollowupID: 631638

Reply By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 11:47

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 11:47
Hi Patrol22,
As mentioned you must be on a gazetted road/track. There is usually a limit on the towing. Sometimes better if you know what is wrong get the part bought to you and fix yourself.
I wouldn't go anywhere without it.
Friends of ours sister and her husband were at big red. He had a heart attack and dropped dead. They had RACV full cover. RAVC flew our friend and husband up there, covered their cost. Then flew our friend and sister home while her husband drove the car/van home. They also organised for the body to be returned. These guys had been members for many years so I think this was an exception not the norm.
Heard that defender have a contract with the army for recovery in remote areas. the army use it as recon training and defender get their cars recovered.When a friend bought his defender he asked how good the road assist was. The dealer told him if they can't get the car then the army will. Don't know if this is entirely true but he told our friend they had a guy blow a gear box in the simpson desert. The army flew in one their big choppers picked the car and family up, got the car repaired and flew them back to finish the trip. Sounded far fetched to me but our friends saw the pictures of an army chopper with a defender swinging below and another photo with a very happy looking family standing next to the chopper. If it is true then that would have to be the best coverage anywhere. I do know of a few groups who do use the army for various things and the army use it as training and we get to pay for the whole lot lol.

Josh
AnswerID: 363985

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 13:26

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 13:26
Patrol22

Whatever you do don't break down in the middle of the Simpson. Recoveries from there can cost up to $5000 just for the tow truck back to Birdsville. Don't think that the motoring organisations would go out that far

Cheers

AnswerID: 363996

Reply By: mechpete - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 19:48

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 19:48
my understanding is that roadside service is only where a 2wd vehicle can be driven , if other recovery equipment is needed i believe that provider of the service will arrange it but at your cost
On the CSR a sign at well 33 community says vehicle recovery
$5000 half up front before he comes out .can,t see RACV ect paying those sought of bills .
mechpete
AnswerID: 364056

Reply By: Chawbie - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 20:56

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 20:56
A few years back I flattened my Pathfinder battery while watching the whales at the Head of the Bight [on the Nullabor]- hooked up to the van, just got carried away and spent nearly 3 hours instead of the 1 we anticipated. No one had brought jumper leads! Rang Nissan Assist from the Visitor Centre and there was a bloke there within 30 mins - luckily only had to come from Nullabor Roadhouse. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Kevin
AnswerID: 364078

Sponsored Links