Legal wheel/tyre combinations

Submitted: Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 09:43
ThreadID: 68660 Views:5117 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hello All

I know wheel and tyres have been discussed many times but I have some specific questions:

My tyre placard on the hilux only mentions wheel size 16*5.5 and tyre size 205R16. I am looking at putting on new wheels, but from what I understand (in NSW at least) the overall diameter cannot be more than 15mm from this size, and the wheel track cannot increase by more than 26mm. I'm pretty sure that the SR5 came out with a 15*7 rim with 255/70R15 tyres. Can I base my wheel sizes on the SR5 legally or only what is on the placard? What combinations can legally be fitted to this vehicle?

Any advice appreciated!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DIO - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 10:40

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 10:40
Sugest you check with the R.T.A. as they are the authorities who enforce vehicle compliance etc.
AnswerID: 363979

Reply By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 16:16

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 16:16
I would suggest that it is your vehicles placard information is what to go by. From what I have found out, it is this placard that states what that car is allowed to drive on. You will have to base your tyre upgrade on what is shown on that.

Stands to reason, if the police actually did a compliance check, this is all they would have to go on.

I have have driven SR5s and I think you are right, the standard tyres were bigger than your placard, but your vehicle obviously is not an SR5 - is that right? The earlier Hiluxes I drove had the skinner tyres
Hopefully someone will prove that wrong for you :-) Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 364019

Follow Up By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 16:19

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 16:19
For your interest

Skips Hilux - Tyres sizes who cares?

:-) Cheers
FollowupID: 631695

Follow Up By: Ad1 - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 20:33

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 20:33
I'd reckon skips mods would probably need an engineers certificate
FollowupID: 632069

Reply By: Lex M (Brisbane) - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 20:27

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 20:27
What model of hilux? year/model no etc.

Check your handbook, mine shows different tyre size and track info as used on SR5.
AnswerID: 364073

Follow Up By: Ad1 - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 20:23

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 20:23
Thanks Lex, I checked the handbook and it shows the different wheel track and tyre size for the 15 inch rims
FollowupID: 632063

Reply By: StormyKnight - Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 21:54

Saturday, May 09, 2009 at 21:54
The placard is the guide.....

If you wish to go bigger (or smaller?) diameter then you will need an engineering certificate to be legal.

Now there are a few things to consider as well...

Will you insurance company cover the vehicle with the larger tyres? NRMA said yes as long as the vehicle is registerable. I.E. I needed an engineering certificate...
The speedo cannot read under speed at all, but may read up to 10% fast. My speed read about 3.5% faster than I was actaully going, so the increase in tyre size 3.4% basically meant it now was reading correctly.
The loading (kgs) on the tyre must meet or exceed what is on the placard.
The speed rating must be at least 140km/h in NSW (110km/h in VIC)
Technically, you need to show a label so that any driver of your car knows that the tyres that are on the car are not to the same speed rating as the original tyres fitted to that car.
You will need to then present the certificate to the RTA & they will reissue your REGO papers with the certificate number.

NOTE that I did this before the national road rules came out recently so so of this may have changed.

There is a fair bit to it & it is much easier to stay with the standard sized tyres unless you want the extra ground clearance or the ability to run MT's as I wanted since they aren't available in the standard size of my vehicle.

Cheers
AnswerID: 364087

Reply By: Robin Miller - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 08:26

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 08:26
Surprisingly , the authorities don't necessarily know the answer.

Can only talk about Vic situation , but here guidlines state that the increases refer to difference from max tyre fitted to a given model.

Hence in case of my GU patrol , and overseas variant has a tall (245/85/16) tyre which is even reffered to in my manual - hence I can go to genuine 33 inch (255/85/16) legally.

The authorites will tend to refer to the tyre placard as a casual reference and could give you grief in the short term but in the end its from whats safe in that model range.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 364117

Follow Up By: StormyKnight - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 22:35

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 22:35
Yep I found the same Robin, I went to the effort of getting on the web & locating the correct document required re increasing tyre diameters & then i had to explain how it worked to the RTA! The tyre fitters are supposed to advise you of the legalities of going oversize, but they didn't even know the law regarding that. Neither the RTA or the tyre fitter knew anything about the snow tyres sticker (lower speced speed rating of tyres) either!

The National rules specify 50mm for 4WDrives, which i think is more appropriate, but as of yet it is yet to be ratified by the states.
FollowupID: 631915

Follow Up By: Ad1 - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 20:25

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 20:25
I agree about the tyre fitters StormyKnight. I asked at two places but I think they knew less about the subject than me - just interested in selling wheels
FollowupID: 632064

Reply By: Gramps - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 10:34

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 10:34
Ad1,

My tyre placard is the same as yours. The Owner's Manual lists 195R14, 205R16 and 255/70R15 as suitable for the vehicle.

RTA (NSW) publication "Guidelines for alternative wheels and tyres", VSI 9 Rev4, Nov 2003 states on page 2

"As a general rule, it is recommended you only fit wheels and tyres that are listed on the tyre placard or in the owner’s handbook. These have been tested and proved for your car.

Sometimes the range of wheels listed by the manufacturer may appear to be limited. While it is recommended that you only fit these wheels, the RTA does not oppose the fitting of wheels outside the range providing they are safe for the vehicle.

An important requirement for all replacement wheels is that the wheel track must not be increased by more than 25mm beyond the maximum specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that vehicle.
Where non original axle or suspension components are fitted, the offset of the wheel in relation to the axle or stub axle assembly used shall not be increased by more than 12.5mm each side of the vehicle based on the specifications of the axle components used. If an axle assembly is shortened then the track width limit is taken as the axle
manufacturers original track dimension, less the amount the assembly has been narrowed, plus 25mm.

If you are contemplating fitting non original axle or suspension components you should seek the guidance of a signatory as engineering certification will be required."

As far as I am aware, via the RTA's website, this publication is still in force.

AnswerID: 364261

Follow Up By: Ad1 - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 20:29

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 20:29
Hi Gramps
I think page two answers my question stating "or in the owner's handbook"

I submitted a query on the Toyota website and got an email back saying:
"Thank you for your recent enquiry.

It looks like you'll need to contact your nearest Toyota dealer for your answer."
FollowupID: 632065

Follow Up By: Gramps - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 20:44

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 20:44
Ad1,

Check out your local Toyota dealer. They may be able to sell you a replacement tyre placard. I asked at mine and was assured they could do it if required - have'nt done it yet though :)

FollowupID: 632075

Sponsored Links