AGM as second Battery, also Ctek XS1500 Help

Submitted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 00:09
ThreadID: 68682 Views:5902 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Is it ok to use a AGM as a 2nd batery when using a wet cell as the main Battery. I've using a Redarc isolater. My 2nd battery is fiited in the rear tray away from any heat but I lose .3 - .5 Volts

I also have a 100W solar panel setup for wet cell. Will it be ok for a AGM.
I recently purchased a Ctek XS1500 and am finding it confusing as some sellers say they can be used on all types of batteries, but on the side of the unit it say for lead acid battery. Then I've read on a previous post that the 7000 model can change the charge voltage by pressing the mode button 13.6v,14.4v,14.7v or 16 v.

Any advice?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: PatrolSTL04 - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 00:59

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 00:59
Ctek informed me by email that my XS25000 can be used on any 12 volt battery, either AGM, MF, Lead Acid and Gel....plus its also written in the manual on page 5 under speciifications.

Page 7 of your manual also states the same thing.

CtekXS15000 Manual

Brett...
AnswerID: 364103

Follow Up By: Haza - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 01:59

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 01:59
Thanks Brett, the only Manual I got was a small piece of foldout paper which stated basic functions.
FollowupID: 631779

Follow Up By: Haza - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 02:12

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 02:12
I looked at the side of the charger and took lead acid only batteries only for been Wet Cell. You are correct about the Specs. Just got me wondering after finding a prior post here about a model 7000 that the voltage output could be change via the mode button.
With the response by Peter R(qld)
Thread: 39177

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/39177/Battery_Charger_for_AGM.aspx
FollowupID: 631780

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 10:17

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 10:17
Interesting reading the manual for the XS1500.
I have an XS7000 and there is an additional mode.

Normal mode outputs 14.4 volts, recommended for wet batteries, MF, AGM and Gel batteris.

Snowflake mode outputs 14.7 volts and is recommended when temperatures drop below 5 degrees and for many AGM batteries.
This mode is not recommended for maintenance charging when the temperature at times exceeds 5 degrees. In this case Normal mode is recommended.

There is also a Supply mode (13.6V) with a constant supply voltage and is the best maintenance mode for batteries where maximum capacity is important (eg, cleaning machinery and Golf Karts) and a Recondition mode (15.8V) for more specific purposes such as a very discharged battery.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 631807

Reply By: purt - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 04:38

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 04:38
Hi Haza AGM batteries are lead acid. The AGM part is a matting that wraps around the lead plates to help with storage power & stabilty check with someone like Battery world for a better explanation Ctec charger will do the job hope this helps PS ok for solar
AnswerID: 364108

Follow Up By: RV Powerstream P/L - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 08:42

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 08:42
It appears the solar part of your enquiry has been overlooked .
Flooded wet cell come in two types "open" flooded wet cell that you have to add water to and "Sealed or Maintenance free" flooded wet cell that you do not add water to.

The open flooded has a higher charge voltage 14.8V than the sealed flooded at 14.4V.

If your solar regulator is set for 14.8V Open Flooded it coulod be too high for your AGM unless your AGM is a cheaper low recombination Chinese AGM that will allow higher voltage input.

Also the cable run length could compensate the charge with voltage drop depending on how long the cable is from the panel to the regulator and the regulator to the battery.So a 0.4V drom at the battery from the panel would be OK.
Ian
FollowupID: 631795

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 09:06

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 09:06
I also run an AGM in the rear tray and use a CTek 7000. Its a good setup!

There are no issues with charging both AGM and cranking battery off the alternator, but they should be isolated when the motor is not running.

Re Redarc Isolator: The redarc leaves the batteries connected after you turn the vehicle off. If the voltage of the cranking battery drops to about 12.5, the batteries are then isolated. I don't believe it is good to have your wet call and AGM paralleled when the vehicle is not running. You can get around this by using a different isolator (eg Rotronics) that isolates when IGN is turned off. Alternatively wire a relay to turn off the small earth lead on the Redarc when IGN is off.

You only get voltage drop when there is current, and the drop is directly proportional to the current. So you'll get a fair bit of voltage drop when the AGM is down, while you'll get almost no drop when the AGM is fully charged and the vehicle is running. So the voltage drop will only affect the speed at which the battery recharges. Will the AGM become fully charged by the alternator? The answer is yes if the regulated voltage is high enough (say above 13.8V) and you drive the vehicle for long enough.

Your CTek is fine for both batteries. I sit mine in the cab and just hook it up to my power outlets from each battery. I think the XS15000 will charge your batteries at 14.4V, while the XS7000 gives you the choice between 14.4 and 14.7V. Both voltages are fine for your batteries. I think 13.6V is the power supply voltage and 16V is to try to bring dead batteries back to life.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 364124

Reply By: Haza - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 11:08

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 11:08
Great, thanks everybody for answering all my questions and even elightening me on a few others.
AnswerID: 364138

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 11:25

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 11:25
Haza,
You ask: "I've using a Redarc isolator. My 2nd battery is fitted in the rear tray away from any heat - but **I lose .3 - .5 Volts**"

You can read further information on Redarc isolators causing Voltage drop which were posted recently, where the exact same information is contained and pondered on by all and sundry, you will see they are prone to creating their own Voltage drop, even when the correctly sized battery cable is used.
I'm sure some one will drop the thread number here for you, as I did not find it just now, just too many to read on similar topic.

AGM as second battery is OK, as is 100W Solar panel, BUT you don't mention any solar regulator ???

Hint: I originally had a Mechanical Solenoid like you, then changed to an "electronic battery isolator" now have Nill Voltage drop.

Mainey . . .
AnswerID: 364141

Follow Up By: Haza - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 13:42

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 13:42
Hi Mainey,

I have a portable folding solar setup with a PowerTech 12v 6-amp charge regulator. Which can be set for lead acid or gel Batteries.
I'm getting 14.17 on the Main side of my redarc and 14.16 on the Aux side.
FollowupID: 631842

Sponsored Links