1999 HOLDEN RODEO 2.8LT TD DUAL CAB 4WD

Submitted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 07:08
ThreadID: 68684 Views:6222 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone has any info/problems with this particular vehicle would be very grateful for your feedback - good or bad?? Looking at doing a lap of oz in one towing a camper trailer and just trying to be as prepared as possible....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Malleerv - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 07:15

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 07:15
take a clutch slave cylinder with you. They have a habit of leaking on the early models.
AnswerID: 364109

Reply By: Haza - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 10:53

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 10:53
The only problems I've had with mine is the heater fan resistor pack which burns out due to water entering the fan blower, Cracked 2 lower wishbone suspension arms due to heavly corrigated roads, Cape York and Cape Leveque, The extra weight of a steel bull bar and winch contributed to that. A leaky power steering pump requiring a top up once a month. Take fluids and be sure to have some sort of stone guard if your got a Tray canopy. Not uncommon to see broken rear window. I've had the car for 7 years and don't regret owning it. Never had a problem with the motor or gearbox.
AnswerID: 364136

Reply By: Wherehegon - Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 22:41

Sunday, May 10, 2009 at 22:41
The only other thing I have heard is to get the injectors done every 100 thou as they apparantly will damage the piston due to the spray with the injector. Other then that I think they are a brilliant vehicle. My cousin has two of them, one earlier model, the second on its second year. The only thing I didnt like with the 2.8 T/D was the high revs at highway speeds, over 3grand (about 3300 for memory) at 110k........WHG
AnswerID: 364229

Reply By: Member - Matt (Perth-WA) - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 17:37

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 17:37
Should have no major problems with your trip...or at least no more than anyone else that doesn't own a 3.0 Patrol. lol

My suggestion would be to replace all the heater hoses including the 7 little ones around the engine. - bypass hose under the aircon hard to see and best replaced in the comfort of a workshop and not in the bush...same with the oil cooler hose that runs around the rear of the block!

If you still have the factory high pressure PS hose then rip it off (it will die, they burst at the fitting to the pump)and take it into Enzed or the Hose Doctor and it will cost about $100 bucks for a replacement that will never die again(roumored to cost $600 at the dealer).

How old is your clutch?

Towing will put put a heap of extra strain so if its old and your planning a lap of the block, its best to replace it at home than on the side of the road or in Dunnydoo.

Apart from that they are great, very simple and very reliable.

Have you done any mods? With the Rodeo they respond very well to a 2.5" system and a small increase in fuel. Really gets rid of the lag and helps with bottom end response.

Most importantly do your preparation and enjoy your trip.

Matt.
AnswerID: 364498

Sponsored Links