Rodeo Tyre Size

Submitted: Monday, Jan 28, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 687 Views:6026 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I was wondering if anybody can let me know their experiences good or bad in fitting larger diameter tyres to a Rodeo (2000 model, V6, manual). Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Martin - Monday, Jan 28, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 28, 2002 at 01:00
Ross, I did this to my rodeo. I put on Hankook Z36 AT Tyres, 31x10.5x15 on Sunraysia wheels and found the change in handling to be dissapointing. High speed driving was the worst affected. My main gripe was the vague steering. I like the extra height off road though. Next time I will try for 235-85-16 tyres (on original wheels) or 215-85-16 on OE wheels. The 235 is the same diameter as 32" but may be too tall. The 215 is the same as 31". I am supposing that the poor steering effect came from such wide tyres. Not many tyre companies make the 215 though which is probably what I will go for. In my research I have found (AT only) Kumho AT825, Hankook Z36, Toyo OPAT and Cooper ST. However the Cooper can't be used on a rodeo as its speed rating is N, whereas the rodeo needs a speed rating of at least Q (the numbers are code for a maximum speed rating, but I'm not sure what speed N or Q actually stand for). Anyway hope some of this info helps!
AnswerID: 1852

Reply By: peter moyle - Monday, Jan 28, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 28, 2002 at 01:00
just to confuse you ross i have a 2000 model,v6, manual crew cab.i have 2 sets of tyres both on 7inch rims. i started with cooper st's 31x10.50r15lts very good grip off road but i found on road these tyres handled ok but the lug vibration noise was unacceptable to me. i now use cooper at's for every day use light off road and sand trips these are a very good all round tyre but do lack the st's mud traction. on rougher outings i bolt on the st's. ive had no problems with their width and there is a 10 mm gain in ride height with negligible speddo error. hope this is of some assistance to you.
AnswerID: 1858

Follow Up By: Peter - Thursday, Jan 31, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Jan 31, 2002 at 01:00
ross, rang my tyre dealer he tells me both my coopers are q rated as original are and that you can go as low as an n rated tyre if you find one you like. also check with your insurance company on rim width nrma allow only max 7inch on my rodeo
FollowupID: 637

Follow Up By: Ross - Thursday, Jan 31, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks Peter! Now I am really confused! I rang my insurance company and they say I am allowed only 1" extra width in both wheels and tyres, as long as the vehicle is still legal according to State Law. So, rang ServiceTas and they say the same, ie max wheel width 7", max tyre width 240. Bugger. How does everyone else drive around with 31x10.5 & 32x12.5?? Why do tyre companies sell and fit these tyres if they know they are illegal? Also according to ServiceTas the tyre speed rating must be of equal to or higher than the original tyres speed rating. The 215 Cooper ST is N rated, therefore no good for my car. Looks as though 215 are the go. Thanks for your answers!
FollowupID: 638

Reply By: Martin - Thursday, Jan 31, 2002 at 01:00

Ross. Hi in Tassie! My insurance company (AAMI) require the car to be road legal only. That is that they do not have any limitation on tyres and wheels, as long as they are legall according to RTA. You have rung the wrong gov agency about tyres. Call the Department of Infrastructure, Energy and Resources in Tas. The ruling in Tas is maximum 1" wider wheels. Wheel diameter is not governed nor is tyre width or tyre diameter. As long as the tyre fits on the wheels, its OK. As long as it doesn't protrude from the guards that is. Hope this helps!
AnswerID: 1896

Sponsored Links