Earth problems in late model Patrols

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 20:55
ThreadID: 6871 Views:2060 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,I am a Patrol man, and have just bought my second Coil Cab after owning a GQ 94 Coil Cab 4.2 Diesel and doing over 100000 k's without so much as touching the donk.I now own a 99 ST Coil Cab 4.2 turbo diesel and love it just as much, but i am a little dissapointed in the way nissan have set up the earthing of the Electrical system in these new ones.The negative terminal on the battery was earthed to a painted peice of thin metal off the intake manifold and the secondary earth cable went to the bottom of the battery box which is part of the Tin work Body which should give an alright Earth.When introducing any new equipment to the vehicle i.e- After market Driving lights UHF Radio or any other accessory which requires to be earthed the Electrical system depending on the Draw it needs will play up causing any weak earth to react, in this case the Sub Tank Warning light coming on and delaying fuel transfer and staying on untill battery disconetion to reset.I have since ran a better earth terminal to the engine block and UHF radio direct to Battery,touch wood it seems to have worked.I am also wondering does anyone know if the engine water [cooling system] due to bad earth have a positive current runing in it that could corrode components.
Any feedback would be great..
Apart from that the Patrols are a pleasure to own and drive.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 22:57

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 22:57
Quino, my only comment is that you are just the latest in a long line on this forum with Nissan problems. They usually even follow the same pattern as yours - great car but.... Your only solution is to earth the battery properly - something which I find amazingly basic and am in disbelief that a manufacturer could not do such a simple thing properly. No wonder they also fail to do some more complex things properly - eg 5th gears! For your UHF and lights you should run + and - wires to the battery.
AnswerID: 29383

Reply By: nrb1748 - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 11:35

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 11:35
May be:

chassis rails insulated from the body (and battery)> driving lights on bullbar attached to chassis rails = no earth for lights.

Solution>run earth wires from lights back to the battery, or check to see if there is an earth cable between the engine block or body and the chassis.
AnswerID: 29432

Follow Up By: andy - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 20:50

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 20:50
Run the earth cable from the lights directly to the battery all the time. It will give you a far brighter driving light. Try the two ways and you will see th e difference strait away.
FollowupID: 20592

Reply By: Pauly - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 19:32

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 19:32
So what was the 94 coil cab like,theres one for sale down the road im thinking of getting it, he's asking for $16.500 new tyers paint job and its done 280.000kms it dosent look too bad any comments much appreciated.

cheers paul
AnswerID: 29488

Follow Up By: Quino - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 23:01

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 23:01
Go for it just make sure you have a good look underneath for suspension problems, around that milage you may have replace bushes and rods etc.It's reasonably priced.
FollowupID: 20615

Sponsored Links