led rope lights

Submitted: Monday, May 11, 2009 at 12:50
ThreadID: 68720 Views:5039 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Thanx for the advice on Ks x $$$ to Cape York. Q... Has anyone encountered a " led Rope Light " and is it of any use. I think you can string it under an awning or coil it for reading, cooking Etc...
Steve...

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 14:25

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 14:25
I started to make up some short ones for the base of guy ropes so to stop people treading on and tripping over my tent but havent got around to finishing them, must get back onto it!!! Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

AnswerID: 364299

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 19:28

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 19:28
You can get them and they do work , but they are fairly inefficent.

Leds rely on directed light to be effective and rope ones go all over the place.

You can buy them in strips and carefully mount them and they are ok.
But you don't get the best leds in the cheapies.

I have designed a few which have gone into buildings , railway stations etc but tend to design them into polycarbonate tubing of 500-1000mm long.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 364359

Reply By: Ray - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 09:02

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 09:02
I bought a "rope" light from Bunnings to hang in my annex and it works very well. It is not LED and requires 240v to operate. There are two types. One has coloured globes and one has clear globes. One length is sufficient for my annex but I believe that you can join as many as three lengths together and they are quite cheep
AnswerID: 364429

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 21:30

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 21:30
My wife likes to read and just uses an Eveready LED headlight. I offer her the fluoros, spotlights and everything else under the sun, but she likes the headlight.
AnswerID: 364574

Follow Up By: Member - RFLundgren (WA) - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 21:55

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 21:55
Phil

So you have one of those also :) Mine also likes to read, and no matter what I have offered her she still continues to use the old dolphin torch that chews through batteries like thsy cost nothing, not to mention my sore back when I wake up in the morning after sleeping with the discarded torch underneath me for half the night.

I am still trying to get a good solution for under the annex of the camper. We dont have 12 volt on the camper, but for the right solution I go ahead and wire it up. That is my biggest frustration with camping, is lighting when I am cooking.

Cheers

Richard
Cheers

Richard

FollowupID: 632219

Sponsored Links