AP 50 Cruise Control

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 22:08
ThreadID: 6873 Views:1557 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Well I have just bought the AP 50 cruise control for the 80 Series, took it home and opened it up and thought, what have I gotten myself into this time. Next mistake was to actually read the instructions and try and understand them.

I have now decided that this project will defeat me, so I am taking the easy way out by looking for someone to install it. The guys who service my vehicle don't do it, so........

My question to you good people, is, who can I get to do it? Would an auto elec do it? Is there anyone (Victorian) on this site who could assist in installing it before a bbq and a few beers?

Thanks in advance.Just Do It!

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: joc45 - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 23:04

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 23:04
Glenn,
Just run the video they supply!!!
Couldn't be easier
Gerry
AnswerID: 29385

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 09:40

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 09:40
Hi Gerry,

The new AP 50 does not come with a video unfortunately. If it had I would have skipped reading the manual as most men do : )Just Do It!

FollowupID: 20500

Reply By: David N. - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 09:23

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 09:23
Can you change your oil? Could you install a set of air horns? Can you wire up a set of spotties and relays no problem?
If not, get an auto electrician to do the job.(It'll cost you $$) If you can do the above jobs you should be able to do the job. I installed one on my TD42 Patrol and love it! It took a while to install but you do not need to be a rocket scientist... but my wife could not have done it, yet she's as smart or smarter than I am. (It all depends on your own "strengths and weaknesses!)
AnswerID: 29408

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 09:45

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 09:45
Hi David,

Yes
Haven't tried
Haven't tried

Mind you, I have installed UHF and AM radios as well as hard wired the air compressor, GPS, PDA etc, but I am not confident in trying this. I don't particularly like having to drill into the vehicle, and I am not sure where to place the speed sensor and bracket.

The instructions are actually quite useless as there are heaps of diagrams, but no reference to them in the doco.

I think that confidence is the only thing stopping me, so maybe I should do as Roothie does in the 4WD Monthly, and sink a few stubbies whilst planning the job, and then having a couple whilst performing the task.

I will give it a go this weekend.Just Do It!

FollowupID: 20503

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 13:56

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 13:56
gday glenn.
i think you got the idea.
(1)buy lots of booze.
(2)make sure wife dosnt have any she has to test it
(3)throw instructions to the s..t house
(4)drink several cans really quickly.
(5)already dosnt seem so bad
(6)place all parts on ground and work out roughly were they go.
(7)few more drinks to really build your confidence
(8)just a couple more drinks.
(9)atemp to fit there not hard ive done a couple.
(10)after all them drinks you could take over the world your that full of confidence.
(11)if it dosnt work at least you got drunk.
(12)come to bendigo for a lovely drive and together with my knoledge and your confidence we will have you heading home with cruise control.—~‘¬‘¥•s’B
AnswerID: 29445

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 14:14

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 14:14
Hi Diamond,

I believe that you are correct on all except for number 2. The wife isn't allowed to drive my vehicle (for valid reasons).

If you are serious about number 12, I would be extremely happy. Trouble is it could only be done on a weekend, you work Saturdays and I leave for the Red Centre in two weekends (13th Sept). I do like Bendigo, having managed the National Hotel there for 12 months a few years ago.

Let me know via here or glennamarshall@iprimus.com.auJust Do It!

FollowupID: 20539

Sponsored Links