TV Aerials - Digital TV

Submitted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 14:24
ThreadID: 68751 Views:3477 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Wondering if anyone is able to suggest a decent, reliable tv aerial that I can purchase to predominantly view digital tv with. I live in Victoria and most of my travels will be around the coast area, or toward major towns inland as a rule, with so many available I thought it best to ask the people who are currently using them. Thanks in advance,
John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kim and Damn Dog - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 16:16

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 16:16
John

Active 1. Around about $240 and comes with a built in booster.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 364489

Reply By: DIO - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 17:53

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 17:53
If you are in an area of good reception the type and size of the aerial is not all that important. I use a 6" high old mobile phone that I have patched into my USB HD Receiver. Works a treat even inside my home (solid brick). You need to understand that with digital you will either get a good signal or nothing. If the signal is below 'par' then you will get crackling and popping and a fragmented picture. Not at all like analogue that you could 'tweak' and get a watchable picture. I would think twice about spending a couple of hundred on an antennae. Check Jaycar they have 8-10" magnetic base designed for PC TV. About $25 or so. Could be your best choice to start with. If you can get a signal with that one (and you should in an appropriate area) then you've saved yourself heaps.
AnswerID: 364503

Reply By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 17:57

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 17:57
I was sick and tired of playing with TV antennaes: round ones, several normal looking antennae, wynegard (yeah it worked guarding the wine ;-) ). Finished up buying satellite setup. Way to go.

Malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 364504

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 18:27

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 18:27
Also bought one of these but was rather surprised to be told by the seller that HI DEFINITION is not and probably wont be available via satellite Or not in the forseeable future.

FollowupID: 632180

Reply By: Member - daz (SA) - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 22:17

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 22:17
I have the Happy Wanderer DX active Zone

Very Good especially in country towns

Type Happy Wanderer in to Google & away you go

Daz
AnswerID: 364589

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 00:16

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 00:16
Web site is Site Link. I used to carry an Explorer type antenna but found that it was too bulky to carry. I find the DX Active Zone to be equal in performance.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 632235

Reply By: Pacer59 - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 18:02

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 18:02
Hi John
I have a HAPPY WANDERER antenna and have had excellent digital reception all over Oz, including Perth, Geraldton, Broome, Exmouth, all through the SW of WA and all parts of Victoria. Very easy to set up on a caravan with a screw type bracket supplied with it. Available from Dick Smith stores for around $100. Also good for setting up for either horizontal or vertical polarity TV signals (simply rotate the head unit either cross ways or up and down). Hope this helps.
Regards
Rob
AnswerID: 364688

Follow Up By: Dermottj - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 13:57

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 13:57
Hi Rob, wondering if you could tell me the type of Wanderer you have please, really appreciate your feedback!
Cheers
John
FollowupID: 632444

Reply By: Pacer59 - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 17:11

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 17:11
John
Got your response via email. Mine shows as a HAPPY WANDERER CARAVAN TV ANTENNA.

It's a T piece construction and the top piece is about 1 metre across with a hinged bracket that slides on to the upright pole which is about 750mm with a screw base provided and a bracket which fits on the side top of my caravan. The hinged bracket at the top enables you to set it either horizontally or vertically (depending on the TV signal where you are). The clue is to check other van antennas where you are.

Comes with about 4 metres of antenna cable and fittings on the end to connect to the caravan TV socket on the side of the van. Got it at Dick Smith store at Highpoint Maribyrnong but would guess that any DS store would have them. From memory it was about $100 for the lot.

Have used it all over Victoria and throughout WA last year. Excellent digital TV reception everywhere. Hope this helps.
Regards
Rob
AnswerID: 364858

Sponsored Links