Radious arm - caster bushed - HUGE DRAMA (PATROL HELP)

Submitted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 16:28
ThreadID: 68754 Views:2112 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
well i wasted a full day trying to get 1 bolt In - everyone says -- no probs easy job ..... WRONG ...

Continuation to my heavy vibration problem - i have changed Castor bearings in my Radial Arms - got the same set ( 2 deg offset ) Only onto one side so far - the other side is still connected

marked the old ones - reinstalled new ones -- same position - NOW for the life of me i can not get holes to line up --- up down is fine - there about 1/2 hole OUT back / front

I have tried diff at all different levels ( adjusted about 200 times - over a 9 hour period )

Can anyone give me some pointers - consulted forums / repair manual --- and just says -- take bold out - put in new castor - put bolts back in ( yeh right )

A 3 hour job has become a 2 day job now .... and continuing

Boc
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rangiephil - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 16:45

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 16:45
I thought they all came with castor bush lock plates which give a template on the correct clocking of the bushes and hold them in the correct position.

If they are castor bushes by definition the holes are not in the middle and they only fit in ONE position.

If I were you I would be contacting the supplier for a template at least.
Also you would have to take one bolt out of the other side to be able to line the holes up, as the bushes on the other side would be attempting to hold the axle in the original position.

Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 364492

Reply By: Doggy Tease - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 17:58

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 17:58
Try herfe mate. There is more knowledge amongst this mob with regard Patrols than you can poke a finger at.....:)

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/

hope this helps.

rick.
AnswerID: 364505

Follow Up By: Ozboc - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 18:31

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 18:31
HI rick , i have been trying to getmembership there for over a year -- with no luck at all

Boc
FollowupID: 632181

Reply By: Malleerv - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 20:26

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 20:26
"marked the old ones - reinstalled new ones -- same position - NOW for the life of me i can not get holes to line up --- up down is fine - there about 1/2 hole OUT back / front "

This maybe the cause of your vibration. I would have thought that they should be aligned so as the bolts slip in with minimal levering. Did the bush come with a template for fitment. Who fitted the first set? they may have got it wrong.

Matt
AnswerID: 364548

Reply By: Graham & Lynne - Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 21:37

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 21:37
Ozboc
both bushes in the same arm must have offset hole in same posiition i.e. both @ say 6 o;clock

grease trapped in front tail shaft slip joint, may be holding front tailshaft longer than should be, to conferm this take out slip joint grease nipple & see if grease comes out when trying to line holes up.

From Graham
AnswerID: 364577

Follow Up By: Ozboc - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 07:21

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 07:21
HI i managed to find an instruction leaflet - actually says makings need to be aposed and not the same way

will try the front tail shaft nipple removal though :)

Boc

FollowupID: 632244

Sponsored Links