Vehicle Complaints Corner

Submitted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 06:52
ThreadID: 68776 Views:8898 Replies:10 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I was searching for other stuff and came across this site

See if your favourite vehicle is mentioned

Nissan 4x4's do attract a fair share of complaints but I was surprised to see Prado's up there as well

Complaints

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 07:36

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 07:36
Morning Willem,
A good web site for people to check out before they purchase any vehicle.
I'd strongly recommend they take the time and read up on any vehicle that they maybe buying.
Nissan do have the majority of complaints, and many about customer service.

AnswerID: 364604

Reply By: Member No 1- Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 07:47

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 07:47
just a quick look showed the hilux is up there...but then they may not all be 4wd..i didnt look that close
AnswerID: 364606

Reply By: Patrol22 - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 08:11

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 08:11
There is also a huge number of complaints by the same few individuals. I wonder sometimes if these types of forums attract those who will whinge about the smallest of things. We all know that a rattle in the dash can be really annoying but likewise we all know that these things are exceptionally hard to find and fix. Major issues like blown engines, clutches, gearboxes, cracked chassis etc well that's another matter and can often be attributed to build quality. But on the other hand some of these can be attributed to abuse or poor driving technique. We also have to remember that we only get one side of the story as well. Being a bit of a "Nissanophile" I gotta say I'm surprised at many of the complaints about customer service. I've bought 2 new Nissans over the past 10 years a GU Patrol and a D40 Navara....service from the local dealer (Lennock Motors in Canberra) and Nissan Aust has been very good in my case. I do know another Nissan owner who has had lots of trouble trying to get the poor paint job on his D40 fixed.
I often wonder if some of those who complain the loudest get everyone off side and don't extract the best from the dealer/manufacturer.
Just my viewpoint and I know there are some, probably many, bad experiences out there.
AnswerID: 364610

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 11:31

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 11:31
I would agree with you here P22.
FollowupID: 632290

Follow Up By: tim_c - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 12:23

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 12:23
Yes, good points - people who show they're not willing to cooperate (ie. the problem is all someone elses fault) will often struggle to get cooperation from the other party. Simply the number of faults is not a good gauge of the quality of a vehicle either - like you said, a rattle in the dash is less serious than a total engine failure.

BTW: "service from the local dealer (Lennock Motors in Canberra)" - are the sump plugs stripped yet?!
FollowupID: 632302

Follow Up By: Adricat - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 13:57

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 13:57
"service from the local dealer (Lennock Motors in Canberra)" - are the sump plugs stripped yet?!

Or did they forget to tighten the injectors so it pumped out 2 lts of oil as i drove home.

On return, did they say all that oil was there when you brought it in.

Then why didn't you mention the fairly bad leak and pls explain my clean garage floor?

Um ok then, sorry....
FollowupID: 632310

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 16:38

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 16:38
I can only call it as I see it....my experience with them has been good.
FollowupID: 632323

Reply By: Member -Signman - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 10:56

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 10:56
and nothing recorded for the MAHINDRA !!

AnswerID: 364634

Reply By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 11:28

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 11:28
The Hilux injectors issue is a real one in my opinion. I am hearing from so may Hilux owners and I have a 2005 D4D with an intermittent injector issue, no light comes on with mine though. Toyota feel the issue is with the diesel fuel here and not their vehicle so they may not be supportive with warranty claims. I am also hearing stories of different diesel, Western Seaboard (EG W.A.) vs Eastern Seaboard with the later being the problem.

Injectors aside the Hilux is a very good vehicle.
AnswerID: 364638

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 12:30

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 12:30
A useful site, I check it out often.
Tho it does come up with the message "Microsoft VBScript runtime Errors" on some postings more often than I'd like.
Tend to take some postings with a grain of salt, tho; like, "I have a 1981 Falcon that's always breaking down on me, therefore will never buy another Ford..."
Gerry
AnswerID: 364644

Reply By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 12:34

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 12:34
Willem,

Some downright amusing stuff on there. This one my favourite....

"NISSAN PATROL 2006: 2006 ST-L NISSAN PATROL ENGINE BLOWN UP TWICE - Motor stop at 58000km, reason no oil getting up through motor. Car wasn't under warranty because I hadn't had service in 25000km so I had to pay to get engine rebuild. Now the car has 81000km on it and I’ve had almost the same problem.

Had car serviced at 68000km when car was out of town and it was a 1000km to drive home and probably have problem getting serviced on time at home on the 70000km service. Had car booked in for 80000km service but could not make service on that day and reschedule 2 weeks later, but 4 days before service the car has broken down with nearly same problem.

Took car to nearest dealer who said car was under warranty and would fix car, but 3 days later rang back saying Nissan Australia said car wasn't under warranty because it was 3000km over service. Has anyone heard of this before?"

Not surprisingly, he cops a pasting in some of the replies....

"Here’s an idea. How about servicing it, that may help the engine not to blow up. Some people don't deserve cars... "

or this....

"Where do we start. Are you telling us that you were surprised that the motor blew from oil starvation when it hadn't had a service (oil change?) in 25000k."

AnswerID: 364645

Follow Up By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 12:55

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 12:55
Matt

You mean we have to service these things ?

Havn't got time for that stuff. Can't afford to have vehicle off the road - I need it.

I thought you just put fuel in at the bowser and drive till it runs out and then fill it again.

True stories from a long past era ;-)

Malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 632306

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 13:32

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 13:32
Reminds me of the woman with a mazda 323 where I used to work.
she asked me where we got the work vehicles serviced and I told her which place to go as they did a good job for us.
The mechanic rang me a few days later to ask if I had a contact number for the woman, which I did.
He rang back about an hour later and started laughing, I asked him what the problem was and he told me that they couldn't get the bonnet open as it was rusted shut! When he rang her to tell her she said "don't worry about the washer fluid then just do the service".
He then asked her when she last had it serviced as well as pointing out that if they couldn't iopen the bonnet then they couldn't service it.
When he looked at the service book it had never had one, 5 years old and never had the bonnet opened!
FollowupID: 632308

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 20:59

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 20:59
Local Toyota dealer told me they had just traded a corrolla that had never had a service in 150000ks.They must be tough.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 632372

Reply By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 17:22

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 17:22
Complaints about cars can be funny things when you are dealing with people - you wonder how many have a fair base to them. Example - I had a lady pull up at my Fathers Service Station in Peppermint Grove WA quite a few years ago. A rich suburb and we had high flyer customers.

This lady had a new European car and drove into the driveway with all types of noise coming from under the bonnet that started yesterday. She complained that it was a new car and we should do something about the noise.

Opened the bonnet and there was a cat - or what was left of it wrapped around the fan etc.

One wonders why when the noise started she did not have a look at what it was. Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 364678

Reply By: Member - Bruce T (SA) - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 21:47

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 21:47
Couldn't find anything about the Troopy. :)
AnswerID: 364736

Reply By: Russ n Sue - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 23:58

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 23:58
All I can say is that Bitsamissin should thank their lucky stars that I didn't know about that web site when I had my NP Pajero.

Oddly enough, the problems with the vehicle weren't the thing that gave me the most grief....it was Bitsamissin trying anything and everything they could to get out of fixing things under warranty.

Ultimately they failed on every occasion and ended up fixing everything, but not without a lot of kicking and screaming and elephant mating and finally they wore me down and I sold the car while it still had a year of warranty to run. I will never, as long as my butt points to the ground, buy another Bitsamissin product - not just vehicles - anything they make.

Land Rover, on the other hand, have fixed everything, even the most insignificant piddling things, without question. Big difference. kinda makes you inclined to buy another one.

Cheers

Russ.
AnswerID: 364753

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 20:47

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 20:47
Russ

Interesting comments. I think peoples' experiences vary so widely its hard to generalise.

There at least four variables:

The owner - some people are born whingers and must make the car dealers' lives misery. These people are rude, unreasonable, demanding, and have no concept of what its like delivering services to people. I'd love to know what some of these whingers actually do for a living themselves.

The individual dealer. Some dealers are sympathetic and have excellent mechanics. Others are worth avoiding. Some are downright crooks.

The individual car. Some cars are rock solid, yet others may be lemons. Luck of the draw? Monday/Friday thing? The way its driven? Who knows.

The make. Some makes have particular problems for which they become well known : Nissan 3.0 diesel engine, Toyota diffs, Land Rover ABS units (the three amigos).

My personal experience with Mitsubishi with two vehicles over 200,000 km was flawless.

My Land Rover experience has been satisfactory, although I am suffering from the three amigos at present (130,000 km on dial).

I've had negative experiences with Lexus reliability and service. But the car is now 230,000 km and still runs like new.

I had a very negative experience with the local Porsche dealer. Car had to be tray topped back to the dealer on the day it was 'serviced'.

Volkswagen GT TDI is just over a year old. Apart from a waste gate problem it has been a great car and the dealer service is exemplary.

Bob
FollowupID: 632551

Follow Up By: Russ n Sue - Friday, May 15, 2009 at 00:13

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 00:13
Bob,

I know where you are coming from, but in my defence, the Pajero is the ONLY vehicle that has let me down and done so badly. In two years of ownership (from new), the vehicle was off the road for 17 weeks.

In no particular order:

The bonnet catch broke off, causing the bonnet to fly open and smash the window and roof in. It happened the very next day to the guy I work with, so it wasn't a one-off incident.

The fuel system was faulty, causing a dramatic loss of power (diesel engine). Took nearly a year, two injector pumps, ECU programs, fuel tank breather change, untold head scratching and a new fuel tank before the sieve on the fuel uptake pipe in the tank was discovered to have collapsed and got sucked into the uptake pipe.

Front suspension bushes wore out (blamed on the weight of the winch (even the the front axle weight was within Bitsamissin's own specification.)

Radiator support panel was cracked in 16 places and had to be changed.

Brake light globes kept falling out.

Numerous smaller things.

As I said earlier, Bitsamissin tried to get out of repairing everything, including the bonnet catch thing. They blamed it on the fact that I drove on corrugated roads....well excuse me for thinking that I'd purchased an off-road vehicle. They quickly changed their tune after it also happened to my mate's NP Paj (twice - once at 35,000Km and again at 80,000Km)

They blamed the fuel system problem on bio-diesel even though the only time I'd ever used it was months after the loss of power problem had started. I had to point out to them that there was nothing in the Owner's Manual stating that bio-diesel was not to be used. It took the threat of legal action to get that fixed.

I'm not a whinger, I just know what was right and who was wrong (Bitsamissin) and was eventually vindicated in every case. The problem was that I needed that car for work and it was costing me a $1000.00 per day every day I couldn't work (not exaggerating). Bitsamissin paid for a hire car just once, while the bonnet, windscreen and roof were replaced. The other occasions cost me - big time.

The bulldust that they spruked when trying to avoid repairs was truly amazing and they kept on harking back to the conditions in which the car was being used. I had to point out to them that they advertised "If you can find a better built 4WD, buy it" and "We've won 9 Dakar rallys with Pajero" and who can forget the TV ad campaign showing the Paj bouncing around on the surface of the moon? All implying toughness and reliability that the car simply did not have.

The whole experience left me gutted.

If any of the problems had occurred out of warranty I would have copped it on the chin, but as I said, the car was only two year's old when I flogged it out of sheer desperation.

Now, with the Land Rover, I personally have not come across a dealer yet who has not addressed any issues I have brought to their attention. It makes owning the car a nice experience, even if it has had the odd problem. The thing is they get fixed...without hassles.

The Paj was the worst car I've ever owned, bar none. Bitsamissin is the worst company I've ever dealt with, bar none. I'm happy for you that you've had a good run with yours.

Cheers

Russ
FollowupID: 632594

Sponsored Links