Nissan Motor Co worried about their Reputation,

Submitted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 17:11
ThreadID: 68789 Views:3463 Replies:11 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
We received a request to take part in an Online Survey, conducted by the Nielsen Company, this survey has the backing of the Automotive Industry and Nissan, OK I know all the dramas people have had re Grenades ect, and it's for new Nissan Vehicles still under warranty, they are concerned about After Sales Servicing provided by the Dealerships, the Nissan Warranty, and any problems that people might have had with the actual vehicle, so far we haven't any complaints with the Dealership, and no Warranty Problems, it's a fairly lengthy survey and asks some head on questions, part of the questions ask if you are happy with the Patrol and if not why, and would you purchase another Nissan in the future, or what other vehicle would you consider, and why,at the end of the survey they ask you to write a short reply to any complaints or question you might have, I mentioned the Blown Motor Problems people have had and the Nissan Motor Co lack of warranty, and that was the end of the survey, reading between the lines, you can see where they are pushing to get people to have their vehicles serviced at an authorised Nissan Dealership to have their warranty honoured, it wont worry us as we will get a new vehicle in a couple of year time, and it will probably be another Nissan.

Cheers
Daza
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 17:22

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 17:22
What reputation would that be???? Nissan are a disgrace!! Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 364679

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 17:25

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 17:25
Nissan Japan, or Renault are probably fishing to see if they have any market share left if the bring out a new model Patrol.. They may get a rude shock for their past arrogance!! Michael.

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

AnswerID: 364680

Reply By: Patrol22 - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 17:31

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 17:31
I've bought 2 new Nissans over the past 10 years. A GU2.8 tdi in 1998 and a Navara D40 in 2008....my experience with my local dealer and nissan has all been positive. Indeed the local dealer even calls up about 7-10 days after a service to ensure the everything is OK and that I was happy with the service and staff. Seems my experience is not shared by all.
AnswerID: 364681

Follow Up By: Member - Mark G Gulmarrad - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 17:36

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 17:36
Patrol22
guilty concisions perhaps?
FollowupID: 632327

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 17:55

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 17:55
Patrol 22!! thats the dealer, they do that with me also but the main problem is Nissan Australia. Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 632331

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 19:26

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 19:26
I haven't had a problem with either...ie the dealer OR Nissan Aust. I've found both parties easy to deal with....just my experience and I can't talk for anyone else.
FollowupID: 632346

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 19:39

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 19:39
MY first 99 model GU had a lean to the drivers side from the moment i picked it up, i asked them several times to fix, finally they said it was within tolerance, it leant about 25 mm.. For the sake of two coil springs, they didnt want to keep their customer happy(me).. Apart from that, i have had a trouble free 10 years over the two new Patrols.. Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 632349

Follow Up By: Blaze (Berri) - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 01:51

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 01:51
Patrol22, Maybe just maybe its because you havent needed any warranty help, may have a different story to tell had you needed them, pretty easy to see the drama's just look through the archives.

And by the way I believe they made a good product, only one small problem they took it out of production. The GU 4.2

Okay Okay I'm ducking.

FollowupID: 632404

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 16:46

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 16:46
If only that was true Blaze......a recently as a couple of weeks ago I developed a vibration at the 75-80kph mark....having a reasonable engineering background, albeit in the aero eng field, I had a fair idea that it was a fluid drive (aka torque converter) problem and on inspection by the dealer techs they agreed. One phone call to Nissan tech services and a new torque converter was on the way and installed the following day. Had some other fiddly things go wrong with the D40 and I had these done at regular services with no problem. BTW I only have 10000km on the D40 at the moment so the long term realiability is something I've yet to determine.
FollowupID: 632474

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 17:32

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 17:32
We've bought 3 new Nissan vehicles and they routinely send you those forms. Usually get a letter from the dealer principal (saying how much they like you as a customer) just before the Nissan Australia survey form arrives.
AnswerID: 364682

Reply By: Member - Mark G Gulmarrad - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 17:33

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 17:33
Daza
i hope i get one of their surveys.........the truth and only the truth will be told your honour!!!

AnswerID: 364683

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 17:34

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 17:34
Perhaps the message is finally getting through.
It takes websites like these to get the horror stories out regarding failures and service, otherwise the dealers just say "first time I've seen that problem".
As I've said before here, even good products have the occasional failure, but it's the warranty/after-sales service that determines whether the product is suitably remedied and whether the buyer is, in the end, satisfied with the product.
In most cases, I had warranty work ultimately handled ok by Nissan dealers (sometimes it took a terse email to H.O.), but the "try-ons" I've had leave a bad taste in the mouth.
Gerry
AnswerID: 364684

Follow Up By: tim_c - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 20:11

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 20:11
Next time someone tells you "first time I've seen that problem" politely ask if you can speak to someone who's not working their first day there. My dad gets it that response all the time, he just says "Well, you won't be able to say that after today, will you?"
FollowupID: 632357

Reply By: wild dog - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 18:51

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 18:51
1966 I started my mechanic apprenticeship in a small country town with a garage that had taken a floor plan to sell Toyota vehicles.
The other apprentices in town worked for the BiG THREE .... Holden Ford and Chrysler. The standard comment at that time was along the lines of " How can you work on that Jap crap".
After working for most manufacturers since then it has become obvious that the one and only aim of vehicle manufacturers is to sell new vehicles.
After sales service runs a very distant second ( except for two manufacturers) despite all the claims of factory trained staff etc. How many factory trained staff do you find outside reasonably sized towns anyway.
Service personell are very poorly paid in comparison to other trades and mechanics are constantly moving from one job to another because of job dissatisfaction so that the " authorised dealership" is probably employing a tradesman from another manufacturer anyway.
Reputation of manufacturers to me comes down to whether they have bothered to set up a service network outside the major cities. All vehicles breakdown and near the populated areas it's Ok to drive any rice rocket because the RACQ will be there in 1/2 hour to get you anyway. Across the top half of Australia where I've worked the only two with any service rep. that I've come across are Toyota and Nissan.
There was a few surveys done that showed Honda to be the most reliable vehicle. Does that mean it's best to take a Honda across the Gibb Road?? I don't think so.
Maybe manufacturers should just get on with providing a good service in areas where people use their cars.
My apologies for the length of the ramble.
AnswerID: 364702

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 19:34

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 19:34
Hi, Wild Dog,
Not a long ramble, you make a few good points.
One of my grizzles is the lack of quality assurance. You mention that service personnel are poorly paid, but that isn't reflected in the labour charges, which are often significantly higher than those I've paid for at a non-dealer.
But, I'm prepared to pay a high charge if it means that I get a guy who's been thoroughly trained in that particular discipline and I get a workshop which has the equimpment to handle the job. But when I get a job which has been poorly carried out, with many items not done, or poorly reassembled (items not serviced in the schedule, loose wheel nuts, turbo inlet clamps left undone, air filters full of crap, the list goes on), over-servicing (eg, brake pads not even half-worn which they reckon need replacing) then I feel I can be excused for grizzling about the dealer.
There, I've had my ramble...
Gerry
FollowupID: 632348

Follow Up By: wild dog - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 20:07

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 20:07
G'day joc45
You're dead right about mechanics wages not being reflected in labour charges. Ask any mechanic in Australia and they'll soon let you know how they feel about the situation.

As for quality assurance one of the favourite ones not to do in a service was valve clearences. Hydraulic lifters were one of the best inventions of all time.
When Holden motors were burning out inlet valves in the late 70's it wasn't unusual to have the heads off 3 cars at a time to do modifications to guides and fit different valves..
I would have thought servicing would be easier and much more accurate these days with computers and electronics.

Glad I've retired.

FollowupID: 632356

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 10:51

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 10:51
Hi Wild Dog,
To be fair to Nissan, when my 5th gear died on the Nullarbor, Nissan were prepared to recover it under the 24hr Assist program. But as it was driveable in 4th gear, I took it thru to Norseman myself after first getting Nissan to take responsibility for any resultant damage.
But the 24hr Assist I have with my car has all sorts of caveats; basically not in "remote areas" (area not defined) and not exceeding $200 worth of towing. $200 doesn't go far for recovery. I wonder how many other 4wd vehicles have a similar limited assist program?
Gerry
FollowupID: 632422

Reply By: Snowy 3.0iTD - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 19:06

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 19:06
Nissan had a good reputation. Unfortunately the 3.0L iTD's continuing problems once they get beyond 100,000km, and Nissans trying to wash their hands of every single failure on minor technicalities has destroyed that reputation. While following up on the failure of mine and my parents it seemed that Nissan's initial respone to all major failures of the 3.0L is to first deny any claim in the hope that they will go away. Any good reputation Nissan had is now gone, I was a happy Nissan owner, switched to Toyota, they would now have to give me one virtually for free before I would go back.

Snowy
AnswerID: 364706

Reply By: Member - T N (Qld) - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 19:16

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 19:16
Oh what a feeling, TOYOTA!
AnswerID: 364709

Follow Up By: Member - Old/new Girl (QLD) - Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 22:24

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 22:24
Bugger
FollowupID: 632388

Reply By: Member - extfilm (NSW) - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 00:14

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 00:14
I want to do one of those surveys for Nissan. No need for me to tell any stories........ :) I will tell them the facts. The same facts I told the 40 (AND COUNTING) other people that WERE considering a brand new Nissan. None of them bought one in the end.
AS far as Nissan is concerned, my waranty ran out at 40 000kms and only 1 year.
AnswerID: 364757

Follow Up By: tim_c - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 13:06

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 13:06
Good point - it doesn't matter how long the advertised warranty is if they're not going to honour it when you need it.
FollowupID: 632437

Reply By: V64Runner - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 10:24

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 10:24
Here is what I have heard on the bush telegraph SO PLEASE dont shoot the messenger. Nissan are allegedly bringing out a big V8 turbo diesel and or petrol to compete with Toyotas Turbo diesel and petrol verions of the Landcruiser 200 Series and the other V8 turbo diesel - reminds me of the old troopie. Whether there is any substance in the bush telegraph, remains to be seen. As I said PLEASE DONT SHOOT THE MESSENGER, Its what I have been hearing for sometime- maybe its true and maybe not . Time will tell sooner or later, but at the moment they have nothing to offer the public at the moment, other than the 3.0 litre and they are not selling due to past reputations
AnswerID: 364795

Follow Up By: tim_c - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 13:14

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 13:14
Well, I hope you're right because I wouldn't even consider a Partol while the only TD engine offered is that scarey little 3.0L. Even if they went back to a 6cyl (~4.2Lish) I would at least look at the Patrol as a possible "next car".
FollowupID: 632438

Follow Up By: Benno77 - Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 19:13

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 19:13
It will run a renult V8 TD and an IRS front end. It would seam the live front axle is fading into obscurity. Not a good thing in my oppinion
FollowupID: 632510

Sponsored Links