New Disco 2003

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 10:11
ThreadID: 6879 Views:1872 Replies:13 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Just picked up my new Discovery TD5 2003, (my 4th Landy) and searched the net to check on any problems I might encounter. The search engine took me to your web site, most of the comments were from July 2002 forum. My God, how much rubbish went through that month, none of it put me off Landrover, just put me off your web site. I cant believe that many children drive already. Anyway, if any adults have some useful info, or known of any faults that would be appreciated and would add some value to what is an excellent site.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: joshinthecity - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 11:14

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 11:14
Nick.
What a facinating Post.
Personally I think you may have a bigger problem.
I would have thought that BEFORE you bought your beautiful new Landy would have been a good time to check out whether or not there were any problems with that particular model. Maybe it's just me....
Why don't you try starting a new topic called " Any problems with 2003 TD5's ? "
I know it will be difficult, but if you can see your way to doing this without including some snide little remark about the merits ( or lack of ) of the resource you are trying to use, you may have more success than you have had so far with this one.

Good luck with it.
Josh.

AnswerID: 29426

Follow Up By: nick - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 12:05

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 12:05
Thanks all, very quick responses, didnt mean to open the can of worms again, just a comment on July 2002, wont mention it again, did say it was an excellent site. I have no preference to any make of car, have driven them all and that includes a Freelander. I looked for comments on the 2003 TD5 and couldnt find much. The gearbox (manual) feels very stiff, mostly in 2nd, its done only 2000km so I'm told it should loosen up, but its difficult to find most of the time. Anyone else experienced this.
FollowupID: 20519

Reply By: Willie - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 11:22

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 11:22
Landrover owners, Lada owners, P76 owners, Daewoo owners, Volvo owners,Tata owners, Rocsta owners, 3lt Nissan owners, Toyota owners , anything pre 1980 owners...........all of these are fair game on this forum.

But on the whole things said here are just tongue in cheek or people with real experiences of their vehicles.

There is alot of very valuable information disseminated on this forum so if you want to join in you are welcome...........just be nice about it and stick to the facts.

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Willie

Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 29429

Follow Up By: nick - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 12:06

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 12:06
Who would say anything bad about a P76
FollowupID: 20520

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 13:41

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 13:41
Looks like poor old Datsun owners are getting a bit of a going over at the moment too.Bob
FollowupID: 20537

Reply By: Alan H - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 11:22

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 11:22
Well said Nick. I had a 300Tdi Disco and it was a good reliable vehicle despite all the rubbish told about Land Rovers. The only real disappointment was when the heater core leaked and because it's behind the dash, is an expensive item to change.
I've now got a Defender Td5 and apart from one assembly prob. it's an excellent vehicle. That said, I admit it lacks the car like comfort of more modern styled vehicles, but if I scratch or put little dents in it's sides, it won't look as bad as they will. I used to cringe at the sound of branches going down the side of the Disco!
Now the main dealer has a new service manager I, and no doubt every other LR owner in Perth, will get some decent service instead of bull dust when we require something to be done.
Happy motoring.
AnswerID: 29430

Follow Up By: nick - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 12:54

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 12:54
Thanks for reply, hope mine is as good as yours and that goes for the service manager
FollowupID: 20529

Reply By: Member - Russell - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 11:38

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 11:38
I had a look at the posts you talk about, and while there were some negative comments about Land Rover, the site moderators were appropriately involved and there was balance from Land Rover supporters too. If anything, you seem to be following the same approach as the posts you complain about. Fact is, people like different makes of vehicle, and will often get quite defensive when someone says something bad about their favourite. I want to hear and discuss any issue about any vehicle, good or bad - that's one reason the forum is here. I wouldn't buy a Land Rover, but then you probably wouldn't buy a Toyota either. That's OK!! A bit of friendly rivalry between supporters of different makes is good, I think. If you think the discussion and participants are childish, go to where you think the adults are - that's OK too!Russell S
Prado RV6
AnswerID: 29433

Follow Up By: Alan H - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 12:40

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 12:40
You must admit Russel that some of the posts are anything but "friendly rivalry", in fact some exhibit a down right hostile attitude!
Daring to drive a Land Rover is enough to bring out the animal in a few drivers of other makes, especially if you're pulling a van as well.
Anyway, thankfully this forum is free of a lot of rubbish and I personally take not much notice of rumours spouted as fact from the inhabitants of the few bars I go in.
Nick, my gearbox is also very stiff but after 7000klms is beginning to free up. Much better than having it sloppy to start with like the Pajero my son once had, it was like stirring a rice pudding, as they say.
FollowupID: 20525

Follow Up By: nick - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 17:08

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 17:08
Alan, I will keep trying for another 5000 and have it checked if that doesnt work I will try the rice pudding
FollowupID: 20562

Reply By: andy - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 12:36

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 12:36
Yo are a silly boy. You should have asked the questions first and then bought a good car. Yes there are a heap of faults with Landrovers. They may look all shiny and modern but you will get faults along the way. They are just a glossy painted body set on the poorest rural vehicle ever made for australian market. First of all if you have a beard then you have no hope. Secondly you should buy about 5 Hiclones and set them in the air intake lines. Dont take the car in water as it will float and get no traction due to all of the hot air in the cabin. Oh by the way watch the wiring. Putting in a fridge stops the indicators from coming on. Also if you are towing make sure you get a really heavy safety chain and connect it under the car to the front bumer. The tow bars have a habit of falling off.

If you think that the people on this forum are stupid or are like kids then &iss off and go on to yahoo or some other sight that deals with idiots who spend tens of thousands of dollars on cars and then ask for advice. Try www.dipstix.com or www.knobheads.com or www.sleazydream.com or www.mybrainhurts.com
AnswerID: 29439

Follow Up By: Alan H - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 12:46

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 12:46
I thought that Land Rovers always sank, not float, because of the leaks in them! Anyway, the rain leaking in at the top does at least wash the dust out which gets in through all the other holes in it.
FollowupID: 20527

Follow Up By: bruce.h (WA) - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 17:22

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 17:22
Lol
just for a laugh i tried the url 's you posted above & bugger me all bar www.mybrainhurts.com are actual web sites,
btw must say sleazydream.com was an eye opener
lol :)
FollowupID: 20565

Reply By: Member - Bob - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 13:45

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 13:45
Nick, interesting observation. I was around when there was a concerted campaign against Landrover. We had one person making multiple posts under different aliases. Thankfully, most of the cretinous fringe has moved on, although reading some of the preceding posts makes me wonder ;-)Bob
AnswerID: 29443

Follow Up By: nick - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 17:03

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 17:03
Thanks Bob, but I must say I have enjoyed the bit of banter going on, and there was a bit of tounge and cheek (mostly cheek on my part) never had such a response from an email before.
FollowupID: 20561

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 14:31

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 14:31
nick
its a new car surely its got new car warrenty, so kick back & enjoy it . If it has any problems you will know soon enough.

BTW insulting people before you ask their advice is probaly not a good way to get a postive respons to your question
AnswerID: 29453

Follow Up By: nick - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 17:10

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 17:10
advice taken and noted
FollowupID: 20563

Reply By: crowie - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 14:34

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 14:34
Nick

True story. Friend of mine had a 2002 TD5 Discovery with 8000 odd klicks on it still under warrenty. Never been off road and treated it like a new bride. Two months ago while driving he noticed smoke coming from the rear interior. He was in the city so had to find a suitable place to park it.
By the time he did the interior was seriouly on fire and he was sucking in big doses of burning plastic fumes. The vehicle was totalled - fire brigade reckon the fire started in wires running through the rear section of the roof.
NRMA didn't want to know about it. their 'accident damage assessor' came out said it was totalled and they just payed him out. The wreck was towed away and has ben sold by the NRMA.
Land Rover Australia don't want to know about it. There was no attempt by Land Rover or the NRMA to conduct an examination to find out the source of the problem.

I belong to a Land Rover Club. I like driving the Discovery and the TD5 is a great motor. I but wouldn't buy one because (MOST) have ongoing niggling electrical problems at the wrong moment. Some (LESS) never have a problem and run like clockwork. We all make choices and I hope you enjoy yours.

I'm not going to sing the praises of any particular 4wd but you did ask.

AnswerID: 29454

Follow Up By: nick - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 17:14

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 17:14
Made my choice and happy, but I will watch for the smoke, sounds a bit like the 69 series II model I had, any time you plugged into the 12V the dash caught fire.
FollowupID: 20564

Reply By: crowie - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 14:35

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 14:35
Nick

True story. Friend of mine had a 2002 TD5 Discovery with 8000 odd klicks on it still under warrenty. Never been off road and treated it like a new bride. Two months ago while driving he noticed smoke coming from the rear interior. He was in the city so had to find a suitable place to park it.
By the time he did the interior was seriouly on fire and he was sucking in big doses of burning plastic fumes. The vehicle was totalled - fire brigade reckon the fire started in wires running through the rear section of the roof.
NRMA didn't want to know about it. their 'accident damage assessor' came out said it was totalled and they just payed him out. The wreck was towed away and has ben sold by the NRMA.
Land Rover Australia don't want to know about it. There was no attempt by Land Rover or the NRMA to conduct an examination to find out the source of the problem.

I belong to a Land Rover Club. I like driving the Discovery and the TD5 is a great motor. I but wouldn't buy one because (MOST) have ongoing niggling electrical problems at the wrong moment. Some (LESS) never have a problem and run like clockwork. We all make choices and I hope you enjoy yours.

I'm not going to sing the praises of any particular 4wd but you did ask.

AnswerID: 29455

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 19:07

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 19:07
gday nick.
if the post you read put you of this web site why stay around and post a question.
dont pay to much atention to what a few people said.it happens all the time with toyota and nissan(nissan far better lol :-) ) there is a lot to be learnt from here and who knows you might have something to to add.
chill out and relax.—~‘¬‘¥•s’B
AnswerID: 29483

Reply By: B.P. - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 19:33

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 19:33
Gday Nick
Have had a 300tdi disco for 12 mths and love it.
I had some body mount probs after a simpson trip but I saw on a new one at the dealer that they have beefed them up in that area.I guess the more complex yours is with electronic wizardry the more there is to go wrong. Thankfully mine has got none of it.
Cheers Brian
AnswerID: 29489

Reply By: andy - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 20:48

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 20:48
Land Rover are the only car manufacturer who do not do any new model testing. What they actually do is release a model and then use all of the data from warranty jobs world wide to improve on the next model. Data from the series 1 land rover troop carrier is currently being collated to find a few improvements for the series 3 discovery. The back seat passengers could not see out of the windows when the car is full of people so a suspended television set will become standard so as these passengers will not get any more car sickness. The turning circle of 37 metres has been reduced to 25 metres for the series 2 discovery thanks to the use of smaller ball joints. The electricall system now has insulation in the defenders so as the automatic smoke dispensor in the rear tail light enclosure does not burn the car out when the front electric fan is turned on. The removable front seat cusions in the series 2 utes have been replaced with fixed hi absorbant padded seats so that people touring in them on round Australia trips can urinate while sitting due to the fact that the top speed of this model is 70 kms per hour and that it takes a lot longer to 'get there'. All of the oil leaks detected in the series 2 Discoveries have been deliberately put in as a permanent flowing rust inhibiter for the steel in the body. A fuel gauge has been made standard in the new Rangies for environmental reasons. Any rattles and squeeks have been left in as a warning to pedestrians for when driving around school crossings. I am sure that you will love the car. Enjoy the stiff gearbox. It will last a lifetime.
AnswerID: 29499

Follow Up By: haze - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 21:15

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 21:15
Andy you couldnt know all this unless you owned one. But of course you dont and I suspect the only stiff thing you know about is the one you obviously play too much with. Your concern should be is that what your doing to it, it aint goin to last much longer. (bet you own a pajero!)
FollowupID: 20597

Follow Up By: 4by - Friday, Aug 29, 2003 at 15:22

Friday, Aug 29, 2003 at 15:22
i actually found your story quite amusing andy, a few good gags in there. bit unfair though, i'm sure only 1/2 of them are true :^) haha
and haze don't knock the paj! (memories of dakar...?)
FollowupID: 20670

Follow Up By: haze - Friday, Aug 29, 2003 at 16:07

Friday, Aug 29, 2003 at 16:07
No, 4by , wasnt knocking the pajero, just thinking about the interpretation of that particular model name. And sure, if you put enough money into it a series 1 landy could win dakar too! How much $$$'s do you reckon that racing paj cost, and how similar is it to what you or I could pick up from our local mitsi dealer?
A simple point is, go anywhere in w.qld. and see what local property people drive. It wont be a paj,jack,rodeo,triton, or any other IFS 4wd wannabee (and this is going to cost tojo in the future as much as the introduction of the full time 4wd 80 did in the past) I can tell you, the trayback workhorse is tojo, the family transport late mod. nissan.
But I still wont part with my disco.
and if andy still amuses you, take a geek at his latest effort, post 6897 28/8
cheers haze
FollowupID: 20679

Follow Up By: 4by - Friday, Aug 29, 2003 at 16:47

Friday, Aug 29, 2003 at 16:47
haha there is a lot of bait in there!
but yes i agree with you. each vehicle has its use/better in particular situations. and race cars so true too! to think that a minor spoiler modification was all that was needed on ford v8 supercars to "bring it up to holden" is amazing.
and i've seen some other posts of andy's - he has his moments...
FollowupID: 20683

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 22:07

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 22:07
Nick,
I have an 85 Rangie with 250,000 on the clock and the gearbox is still tight, second to boot, I've changed the oil to synthetic, this seems to of helped but it's not the best. The synthetic seems to leak more which is a common complaint, yes I've replaced the gaskets and put sealant on the bolts, I've worn the wheels out on my little trolley now so I've painted the path with oil resistant paint and I wipe it up weekly, I've also strapped a can of WD 40 to the inner wing in case I run into anything more than a puddle, you made the right choice with diesel.
The vehicle is outstanding offroad I have no complaints in this department at all, ride is great, electrics is a bit of a lotto thing I'm finding, as long as the air compressor continues to work I'm right.
Hope you enjoy the Discovery of this site, consider membership it's worth it.
Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 29510

Sponsored Links