'Spot' Satellite Messenger..Users?

Submitted: Friday, May 15, 2009 at 09:51
ThreadID: 68846 Views:2917 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
SPOT Live to tell about it™ .. Anyone got onto this system yet. Comprises hardware and base backup/software USA based I believe,but the world is our oyster. (1) Pocket sized unit sends one message every five minutes etc. (2) Ask for help with exact location etc. (3) Check in - Lets contacts know where you are and that you are ok etc. (4) Track progress: Send and save location/allow contacts to track your progress using Google Maps™. SPOT send a message every 10 mins etc. Coverage: Virt all Nth America,Europe and Australia etc. Visit findmespot.com Could suit me to go places off beaten track to photograph. Just me and my dog. Don't want to bore a passenger who has little interest in my meandering at snail's pace. Dog cops it ok.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 4x4 Equip - Friday, May 15, 2009 at 10:11

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 10:11
I've used the Spot Messenger myself a number of times and have been on the receiving end of many Spot messages over the past two years - all were progress updates. There's nothing better than watching on Google as your friends move around the country, the accuracy is amazing!
AnswerID: 365002

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, May 15, 2009 at 10:43

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 10:43
RockyOne,

I watched a mate last year who had one, was able to track his progress setting off to the Canning Stock Route.

This year I will have one set up and plotting on the trips that I will be leading over the next five months.

Wayne
AnswerID: 365007

Follow Up By: Member - RockyOne - Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 10:21

Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 10:21
Thanks Wayne & Equip for positive reply. Looks like I will saddle up for the package. I need a sub to Google maps anyway so the cost is ok. Makes us all realize just what amazing people the Australian pioneers were with no ability to communicate back to base and no real maps or tracks to 'cheat' a little with. No medical backup or re-supply points if things go wrong. Even with six years in the regular army out in the field,we never had id as rugged as they did. "I don't want to be a pioneer when i grow up" (If I grow up;-)
FollowupID: 632832

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, May 15, 2009 at 14:43

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 14:43
There are lots of posts on lots of forums about SPOT.

Main concern is the USD 115 or so annual sub plus more for Google map tracking. Second concern is coverage in mountainous terrain.

Big plus is that you can send OK messages.
AnswerID: 365048

Follow Up By: KennyBWilson - Friday, May 15, 2009 at 16:46

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 16:46
Yes I agree my life isn't worth that much!!
FollowupID: 632711

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, May 15, 2009 at 17:48

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 17:48
Fair point ;-}

Wrinkle is: if folks back home don't get the daily 'I'm OK' SMS do they think gramps is cactus or just out of range. With wide skies in the outback you'd expect sat coverage to be OK. The bottom of one valley at least in Tassie it wasn't in one test.
AnswerID: 365085

Reply By: Member - Dick (Int) - Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 12:18

Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 12:18
SPOT work's well in most locations. I travel alone mostly and my son likes to monitor where I am. Good to send a simple OK message or a Help needed message also. I have two SPOT's. The first SPOT remains in the vehicle at all times, and if I leave the vehicle to walk any distance (which I frequently do) there is a second SPOT in my back pack which hopefully would let him know where I am.

I don't rely on SPOT as my last resort to call for help, I carry an EPIRB and a Sat Phone also. SPOT is however a very useful and convenient unit.

Unfortunately it does not cover S.E. Asia where I am most of the time.

Cheers
Dick

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 365212

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, May 18, 2009 at 08:34

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 08:34
Hi Rocky,

This eBay seller may interest you, his price appears to be brilliant!

See: SPOT

I bought the first one of the 3 he had and it appears someone else thought they were a good deal too!

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 365467

Sponsored Links