Unifilter on Turbo-Diesel Hilux

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 16:09
ThreadID: 6885 Views:7948 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about fitting a unifilter or other foam filter into a new Hilux Turbo-diesel. I had on in my previous 4WD which was a V6 4Runner however, as this is my first diesel vehicle, I am not too sure. I will be looking at fitting a Safari Snorkel in the near future and have read on their website that they are not for use with a foam filter. Any thoughts?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: crowie - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 16:46

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 16:46
Raymond.

Personally but not from any experience I prefer to stick with paper filters. Like everything else everyone my opinion is based on someone elses opinion which said they are no better than paper. One Unifilter product I am going to try soon is the Unifilter 4x4 pre-filter called a droopee. It fits inside the snorkel body and may be an option for you. Have a look at Unifilter Web site. The other option is the Donaldson pre-filter that you can attached to the top of your snorkel
AnswerID: 29468

Reply By: Member - Alan - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 17:07

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 17:07
Raymond- My dollars worth

I have gone back to paper filters, I have a T/D Rocky and after several years with a foam filter a small oil weep developed around the turbo - after several rather expensive quotes to fix a mechanic suggested I go back to a paper filter first before spending big bucks having the turbo overhauled. paper filter went in - Weep stopped immediately.
AnswerID: 29469

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 17:45

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 17:45
Did you go back to using a standard paper filter of maybe a K&N filter?
FollowupID: 20568

Follow Up By: Member - Alan - Friday, Aug 29, 2003 at 15:24

Friday, Aug 29, 2003 at 15:24
Its just the standard "Ryco" paper filter I get from Repco or similar - don't have any other details, there is nothing marked on the actual unit
FollowupID: 20672

Reply By: andy - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 20:22

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 20:22
Dont fit a snorkel unless it is absolutely nescessary. I fitted one when I bought my Hilux SR5 diesel and it increased body reverberations and cabin noise so much that I cannot have a normal conversation any more when the car is doing under 2500 rpm. It is so bloody loud that I wish that I had never put the dam thing on. Safari and ARB never said nothing about this @#cking noise. Leave it till last if you are going on a trip. Or better still use a tarp instead. A stupid accessory unless it is really nescessary. By the way I run a foam filter on the Hilux and it also added engine noise yet again. Works really well and gets so much crap out. Much cheaper long term than standard filters. The snorkel increased the amount of crap in the filter by mor than 2 times. But it does work. Andy
AnswerID: 29496

Follow Up By: Member - Scooby (WA) - Friday, Aug 29, 2003 at 11:42

Friday, Aug 29, 2003 at 11:42
Andy,
I have a SR5 with the 3 litre diesel. Safari recommend a restrictor in the inlet ducting between the air cleaner and the motor. When I removed mine to see if there was any difference in power and noise there was a hell of a racket, no change in power. I put the restrictor back in - quiet again. The restrictor looks like a large metal washer maybe 50mm in diameter with a 20 mm hole in the centre.
Regards
Hilux Dualcab, 3 litre diesel
FollowupID: 20655

Follow Up By: andy - Friday, Aug 29, 2003 at 15:22

Friday, Aug 29, 2003 at 15:22
Hi Scooby. Is th erestricter a standard item or an aftermarket thing? I am not sure whether the restricter was taken out by ARB when they fitted the snorkel. Is it always put back in afterwards? Do Safari sell them as I neet to stop the noise. It is driving me crazy and is causing all sorts of body vibrations. Thanks for your help. Andy
FollowupID: 20671

Follow Up By: Member - Scooby (WA) - Friday, Aug 29, 2003 at 15:40

Friday, Aug 29, 2003 at 15:40
Andy,
The restrictor is supplied with the snorkel and was designed by Safari to stop the noise that is common with the 3 litre diesel. When ARB fitted the snorkel they were insistant that the restrictor be fitted. Give Safari a bell and ask them to send you one.
ScoobyHilux Dualcab, 3 litre diesel
FollowupID: 20674

Follow Up By: andy - Friday, Aug 29, 2003 at 15:55

Friday, Aug 29, 2003 at 15:55
Hi Scooby, Just Called Safari and they confirmed exactly what you said. ARB were supposed to have put this in as a part of the kit. The asked me to check all connections, hose clamps and mounting points as well as the restricter. They said that it may be loose mounts as well. Aparently the inner guard cover in the wheel arch can be removed to check all of the pipe work. Thanks for the advice I will have a look this weekend. Andy
FollowupID: 20677

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 21:48

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 21:48
Raymond,
I have a snorkle on my GQ with a turbo, I have the paper element in the main air filters and a drooooopeeeeee in the snorkle, works for me I don't have the same noise issues Andy talks about, the snorkle actually improved my fuel consumption when it was first installed, the "horn" of the snorkle forced the air through the system, when I turned the snorkle around for different road conditions the fuel economy worsened, I can only assume this was caused by the snorkle position. This was pre turbo, since the turbo has been installed there is little or no difference.
I find the snorkle good, cleaning the foam filter regularly is very important, verging on critical, the paper element seems to stay cleaner longer. My opinion as per usual.Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 29506

Reply By: ray91 - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 22:00

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 22:00
Raymond, the toyota paper air filter is washable in a bucket of water when it gets dirty also the pre filter inside the snorkle (sock) keeps a lot of the dirt out and cuts the noise a lot.
AnswerID: 29508

Reply By: Glenno - Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 22:48

Thursday, Aug 28, 2003 at 22:48
I own a TD3.0 SR5 Hilux and just run the normal paper filter around town. When i head out into the sticks (read dusty roads), i drop the unifilter into the snorkel body. Works a treat and hopefully will extend the life of the paper filter a bit.

Its much easier to carry a few of the drop in filters than a big paper filter!

Cheers,

Glenn.
AnswerID: 29519

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 17:49

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 17:49
Thanks for all your help guys, I think that for the moment, I'll just stick to the standard Toyota filter.
AnswerID: 29792

Sponsored Links