Sydney to Birdsville Races- flown, now driving.

Submitted: Friday, May 15, 2009 at 20:45
ThreadID: 68870 Views:3894 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Have flown planes all over the central desert in the last 25+ years and have flown into Birdsville 3 times, twice for the races. This time around I want to do it the slow way - 100 Series Cruiser. All those places that I flew over, I wanna see close up.

So far planned: SY, (Cobar, Wilcannia), White Cliffs, Camerons Corner, Tibooburra, Inamincka, Birdsville. Thinking of doing the Inside Track.

1. From Birdsville, two alternatives - head towards Lightning Ridge, or head towards Lake Eyre. Suggestions?
2. What is the minimum equipment list for the Inside Track - two spares? Water - obviously - got 60 litres in a SS tank behind the seat. Fuel - standard tanks? Winch (hand winch)? HF Radio (got UHF)/Sat Phone vs EPIRB (which I favour)?
3. Being a tech-head, have plenty of mapping software - including Memory-Map Austour, Oztopo; have laptop with inverter and USB GPS; have plenty of hc maps including aviation WAC charrs, though a bit small at 1:1000,000. Suggestions?

Want to have what is necessary for a safe trip without bringing the kitchen sink. Cruiser has seriously beefed up suspension (including 2" lift with Firestone airsprings in the back), Unichip upgrade (15% better economy, ~50% more hp). Adding extra battery and snorkel with precleaner; upgrading lighting.

Any suggestions/advice gratefully received

TIA - viz

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Friday, May 15, 2009 at 21:24

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 21:24
All of those roads can be done in a 2wd car when the road is dry

Inside Track is closed

ExplorOz Road Reports

Cheers
AnswerID: 365113

Follow Up By: hl - Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 08:23

Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 08:23
And when it's wet they're closed.........

FollowupID: 632797

Sponsored Links