Gas heater for tent or CT

Submitted: Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 15:36
ThreadID: 68890 Views:3797 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings
There has been a few discussions recently of the safety of gas heaters in closed environments.
We just returned from a Brisbane to Melbourne via the Darling River and returned through Shepparton, up through the Hunter Valley and coast.
Expecting cold weather, I went to our local camping shop to enquire about gas heaters and the safety in using them.
I was told of and bought a Coleman gas heater using the relatively new "safe for indoors use" Propane Catalytic system.
This was quoted as being safe for indoors use, but not as efficient as normal gas heaters, but safe if overturned and no poisonous gas output. The gas is supplied in Coleman disposable canisters. Heater approx $60, gas bottles around $8, but expected to last 8 to 12 hours each.
Sitting is a frigid camper trailer tent near Glenn Innes, we thought we'd try the heater.
The instructions specify "use outdoors only", then has a page of how many walls and what area of roof is classed as being not indoors.
The first gas bottle would not attach to the heater at all. The second gas bottle screwed on fine, was lit, and the warmth generated was minuscule.
If the heater we bought is indicative with the small amount of warmth generated, it should be called a gas barely warming device, not a heater.
I would even suggest a dead snakes flatulence would be more acceptable as a heater than this.
Perhaps ours is a faulty unit, and I will be returning it to the camping shop to see, but if it is a true indication of the ability of the new technology manufactured by Coleman, take your winter woollies with you.
Cheers
Ian
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 18:29

Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 18:29
Whats wrong with blankets and doonahs? Them with a wonderful wife right next to you is best - No worries with safety...well unless one of us gets hot :-). Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 365268

Reply By: PatrolSTL04 - Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 00:14

Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 00:14
Have been using the Procat for about 3 years while camping.

Has been used in the Horsefloat and Camper Trailer, and is worth more than its weight in gold.

Have it connected to a Gas Cylinder. With appropriate ventilation it has been fantastic.

Brett
AnswerID: 365324

Reply By: Robin Miller - Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 09:53

Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 09:53
Hi Ian

Thats why in my replies I have advised using the little sun and equivalents.

They put out 6000 btu , twice Coleman , this is still poor except
in partly enclosed areas as 2/3 of this heat is hot air, and doesn't match the warming effect of a 1 bar 1kw electric radiator.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 365351

Sponsored Links