Great Central Road

Submitted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 10:49
ThreadID: 68913 Views:2320 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi. Am planning to fly gyrocopter from Qld to Perth next Easter. But with limited range am having trouble with Warburton to Laverton leg. How do you seasoned travellers organise fuel dumps?
Can I beg, borrow, steal fuel at Cosmo Newbery (40 litres)?
And what about Laverton- Ilkurka- Mintabie? These are big legs and I can only fly 200kms max.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 11:16

Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 11:16
You will need a back-up vehicle with a fuel supply for your flight

On the GCR there is fuel at Tjukarilya Roadhouse.

AnswerID: 365356

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 15:54

Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 15:54
Any basic HEMA map will answer those questions hatrack, but I trust that there is more planning going to happen for such an expedition than that!
1. People do die in that country.
2. Any forced landing off a main road will cause extreme recovery issues.
3. Many of those areas are Aboriginal land requiring permits. Permits to enter some of them are almost impossible to get at short notice.
4. Fuel at many locations will be Opal. Will that suit your machine? Be VERY sure of the answer.
5. What long range communications will you have, and who do you expect to talk to?
6. Where, when and how do you intend to service this machine on route?
7. Have you ever actually been into this country that you intend to fly over?
8. Who are you relying on to rescue you when the fan stops?
9. If you can't carry more than 200ks of fuel, what are you going to drink?
Questions 100 .......will also need answers.

OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 365385

Reply By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 21:26

Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 21:26
Ilkurka??? Can't find it!!! Mintabie - a b----y long way from Laverton, in South Australia. Are you fair dinkum???

AnswerID: 365429

Follow Up By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Monday, May 18, 2009 at 14:18

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 14:18
I apologise, Ive found Ilkurlka. But I think you have got Buckleys if your intention is to try and fly your whirlygig across the Anne Beadell. You can contact the Roadhouse at Ilkurlka on (08) 9037 1147 . They may have some facility for fuel drops, but I'm not aware of it. As suggested above, you should have adequate ground support to attempt something like this.

FollowupID: 633206

Sponsored Links