"On Track" Camper, model "Tracker", anyone heard of it?

Submitted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 15:32
ThreadID: 68921 Views:3889 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I have joined this site as you all seem to have the experience and knowledge we don't!!

We have been keeping our eyes open and researching camper trailers for about six months and have come across one called an "On Track" that has everything we need and the trailer appears to be sound, heavy duty canvas etc. We are really impressed!!

The problem is we can't seem to find anything about them on the internet good or bad...... has anyone heard of them or know what I am talking about?

According to the compliance plate it is a 1998 model.

I look forward to your advice. Kelly

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kevin J (Sunshine Coa - Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 15:59

Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 15:59
Not one I know personally but you could also try www.campertrailers.org

Kevin J
AnswerID: 365386

Follow Up By: kelstar78 - Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 19:18

Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 19:18
Thank you I have also looked at their site.

A brief description is:

Hard side trailer, clip down top that has a pulley system that allows it to open upwards about 500-600mm then you insert the pins to keep it there. This allows 4 side access.

Once it is up you pull off the canvas cover and open as a normal fold out tent that has a queen bed and closed in annex for sleeping the kids or other use. Also the normal annex out the front where the kitchen.

Because of the 4 side access there are roll down screens (either fly, canvas or both) on all four sides of the 500-600mm area.

The kitchen is a drop down tail gate with support legs.

Does this sound like anything you may know of even in another brand?
FollowupID: 633124

Reply By: Member - Agroe (WA) - Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 21:11

Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 21:11
kelly,
i have a On Track camper made in Williams WA. it sounds similar. You release 4 catches and it pushes up on gas struts. Giving you good acess on all four sides. Then you pullover the canvas just like any other soft floor camper. The trailer is well made and canvass good quality. The canvass is a bit stretched & baggy but it allworks a treat. Ours has built in fridge, 150 litre water tank , sink & built in stove. We picked up ours second hand two years ago & it hasnt missed a beat. if you require any more info get in touch agroe
AnswerID: 365428

Follow Up By: kelstar78 - Monday, May 18, 2009 at 14:05

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 14:05
What a relief, someone else has one!!

Sorry to ask so many questions but if you are able to answer some of these it would be a big help Agroe.

Where have you been in it, what sort of roads?

What year is yours?

Anything to look out for, common problems/wear & tear?

Any changes you have made to improve it?

Weight of the trailer?

Description of the one we are looking at:

New kitchen (I wouldn't call it new but tidy and functionable)
120l water tank
12v light & water pump
boat rack
12 months rego
$7000
1998 on compliance plate

Would you consider this a good price compared to what you paid?

Thanks Kelly

FollowupID: 633203

Follow Up By: Member - Agroe (WA) - Monday, May 18, 2009 at 20:45

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 20:45
Kelly,
Its good to know there is another one . The bloke who made these said he made approx 20 but ihave not seen another. We bought ours second hand. It is a 2000 compliance. The previous the owner did a trip around Australia including the Gibb River rd & Cape York. We did 12000km last year including Great Central & Gibb River Rd Merrenie Loop Nt very rough held up well. Did a shock absorber on Mitchell Falls road but the trailer still faired better than the Nissan. We paid just under seven for ours and have since realised we may have got a bargain. Also had solarpanels included. Our gas struts are running out of puff and need replacing. The canvas in not super tight. Does not cause any problems and has no holes, leaks or tears just not as good looking. Wired in lights etc really handy. Only prob with fridge if yours is the same, very cold. We use it as a freezer mainly (or put food in padded bags. Gas outlets on stove are regulated for indoor use so blow out in windy conditions. We are looking at modifying those.
All in all has been great family camper for us and easy to live in for three months.
Ainslie
FollowupID: 633257

Follow Up By: kelstar78 - Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 16:46

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 16:46
Sounds like you have put it through the paces and you got a good buy since it includes solar panels, fridge etc.

As ours doesn't have a fridge what would you suggest and how would you run it if you were to carry it in the trailer?

We decided to put in an offer so hope to be towing it home on Thursday.

Kelly
FollowupID: 633397

Follow Up By: Member - Agroe (WA) - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 00:12

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 00:12
Kelly,
Our fridge is mounted on the front passenger side you can access whenever the bed area is lifted up. On the front drivers side there is a large box which we used as a pantry. Between the wheel arches is our water tank which is about 8inches high. we store our annex , bags ,chairs etc on top of tank. I have made a storage box for pots and plates etc rear of the tank. our kitchen sink & stove fold down on tailgate. They slide sideways to give a you a bench in the middle. there is ample room for our family of four. Our camper has two six volt deep cycle batteries mounted onthe front this runs the fridge & lights. Are you located in WA. I can email some photos if you like. Ainsle
FollowupID: 633463

Follow Up By: kelstar78 - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 15:58

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 15:58
Hi Ainsle,

No we are located in Darwin but would love to have a look at some pic's if you caould email the to:

kmaclean78@bigpond.com

That would be fantastic!! Cheers for all the help and advice, Kelly
FollowupID: 633562

Reply By: kelstar78 - Monday, May 18, 2009 at 16:49

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 16:49
Just bumping this in hope Agroe replies as I can't send a personal message as a visitor.

AnswerID: 365516

Sponsored Links