Free camping at Bollon

Submitted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 16:06
ThreadID: 68922 Views:4551 Replies:2 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone,
in the last school holidays my hubby and I did a run from Maclean (nth coastNSW) out through St George, Cunammulla Yowah etc then home. We called into Bollon as we had been told it had a nice free camp spot. It was fantastic you are right on the creek, water is supplied and campfires, there are free showers and toilets in town. The locals are really friendly I went into town by myself to go to the shop and came out and shut the door on the cruiser and somehow the rear quarter windoe broke so I decided to get all the glass out there and then rather do it on the grass at the camp site for safety reasons. The shop was really helpful and 3 local men came and offered assistance. I can assure you it wasnt because I was sime young bird rather a middle aged one. On talking to the locals they wanted to know what they could to provide more for travellers to get them to stop as they said that without travellers the town will die. So if any of you are out on the road looking for somewhere to camp that is great call into Bollon we certainly will be calling in again if we get back out that way.
Barb
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 16:09

Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 16:09
Barb,

Have you updated the info in Places about Bollon??

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 365388

Follow Up By: Member - barbara M (NSW) - Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 16:34

Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 16:34
Hi Kev,

Just completed, hope it helps the community I am going to try and write a report for one of the mags if I can find the time
Barb
FollowupID: 633086

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 16:37

Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 16:37
Barb,

I have spent countless hours in my younger days out on properties around Bollon and always enjoy going back to Bollon to see some family friends.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 633088

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 17:48

Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 17:48
What can they do to make travellers stop ? Plenty.
1) Have a wear a smile for a stranger campaign.
2) How about producing a booklet on things to see and do around there?
3) A tourist board with 2) on it.
4) Clean public facilities.
5) Some sort of tourist walk/trail
6) A park with shelter that is clean and tidy and welcoming for families often does the trick.
AnswerID: 365401

Follow Up By: Member - Footloose - Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 17:49

Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 17:49
Just a few suggestions off the top of my head...no doubt others will have different ideas.
FollowupID: 633102

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 18:06

Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 18:06
Footy,

These attaractions are listed in the Balonne Shire Councils Visitor info

The Heritage & Craft Centre - Main St, Bollon. Guided tours (07) 4625 6278
“Filled with items telling the history of Bollon including the first telephone exchange from the 1920's”

Walter Austin Park & Rayner Place - Bollon
“On the Wallam Ck, the best place to catch sight of one of the many Koalas & native birds residing there”

Thrushton National Park via Bollon. 60 km NNE (07) 4625 6128
“Accessible by dirt roads, campers are welcome to visit for an ideal weekend getaway & bird watching”

They can only expand your comments from there :)

There is normally some good fishing in Bollon when the river has water in it LOL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 633106

Follow Up By: Member - Footloose - Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 18:16

Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 18:16
Kev, have never been there and was basing my suggestions on what I know of other towns in similar situations.
They really need something unique to the place to put it on the map I guess.
But just being a friendly place will go a long way to starting them off....have been in so many pubs without even a nod from the locals...the more memorable ones were very welcoming and cheerful. But all the business in town have to reflect that attitude.
Most of the smaller towns have embraced tourism, in fact I can only think of one where attitudes towards travellers don't seemed to have moved forward...great tourism facilities don't mean a thing if the locals don't give a fig leaf :)))
FollowupID: 633108

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 18:20

Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 18:20
Bollon is about 130kms from St George so it may be a bit far for a pub crawl out there LOL

The last time I was in the pub out there was about 12 years ago. I think the locals out there know if they don't start to embrace tourism then the town is going to slowly die off as most of the Cockies travel to the larger towns for supplies now and only shop in the town as a last resort.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 633110

Follow Up By: Member - barbara M (NSW) - Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 19:59

Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 19:59
Hi!
The locals were that friendly one of the guys we met in the pub turned up at our van the next morning with 3 buckets of yabbies one for bait, one we could either use for bait or eat and one for eating how friendly is that and the he gave us the directions for a good place to go yabbying out of town we could have easily stayed for a couple of more days but we were on a time frame to get home and get back to work so we can pay for the next trip in the next school hols at this point to Camerons corner and the darling run between Bourke and Wilcannia
barb
FollowupID: 633135

Sponsored Links