Childrens Stretcher

Submitted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 21:09
ThreadID: 68932 Views:6690 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
My twin 2 year old boys have just started sleeping in single beds at home. Next camping trip I would like to leave the porta cots at home. I thought I saw a camping stretcher with a sleeping bag attached to it. This should stop the lads from falling out of bed during the night, has anyone seen this type of stretcher on the market?

Thanks for your responses in advance.

Alex
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TWCAmpbell - Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 21:41

Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 21:41
We have found the best option to is for our 2.5 and 4 yr olds to be nice, thick inflatable mattrersses and a good quality sleeping bag. Stretchers took up a lot more room when packed up.

Picked up a couple of -3 degree rated Coleman kids bags from Ranger a few weeks back (had 25% off Coleman sleeping bags) and our kids have been nice and toasty to 0 degrees so far.

Main thing is to ensure the mattresses are thick enough to prevent cold seeping in from the ground (our kids sleep on the PVC floor of our camper trailer).

Cheers,

Tristan
AnswerID: 365432

Follow Up By: pafc - Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 21:53

Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 21:53
Thanks for the feed back, I have never had a problem with air matress and the cold. Your set up may be a solution.

cheers
FollowupID: 633143

Reply By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 22:18

Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 22:18
Hi Alex,
Our girls have slept on stretchers for 2 yrs now. 3 & 5 when we left. The stretchers stay made up except we take the legs off and lay both on top of our bed in the trailer. When we pull into camp we simply attach the legs. We have them set up as bunks now to give us more room. They have guard rails to stop them falling out if you need. Because the canvas dips in the bed it is actually hard for them to roll out. If it is really cold we simply place a blanket under them as welll as on top. They have good quality sleeping bags as well. They like the idea of being off the floor away from the creepy crawlies. I have told them it will make no difference. You can get them from most big camping stores.

Josh
AnswerID: 365436

Reply By: obee1212 - Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 22:44

Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 22:44
When I was little I slept in beds feet to feet with room to spare. But those were the days, ay.

owen
AnswerID: 365440

Reply By: Travelling Pixie - Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 23:11

Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 23:11
our kids sleep on the thin self-inflating mattresses (approx 1" thick) on top of silver space blankets on top of stretchers. they use doonas and fitted sheets.

they have never fallen out of bed and if they did then they wouldn't do it again.

no i haven't seen the type you mentioned. i can't see the need for it unless it was a top bunk stretcher
AnswerID: 365444

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, May 18, 2009 at 07:32

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 07:32
Young Kids are much safer on the floor, then they can't fall out of bed.

I know stretchers are made different now, but tried sleeping in one once and it was the most uncomfortable sleeping arrangement I ever tried.

As already posted, self inflating matresses and sleeping bags to keep them snug is a great solution.

Another option worth consideration is a pair of single swags. rolled out on the floor or ground and with an opened up sleeping bag inside as a doona, the boys will love them. This is our solution when using the Oztent.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 365463

Follow Up By: Member - Old/new Girl (QLD) - Monday, May 18, 2009 at 10:13

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 10:13
Same here Bill
I ditched the normal thin foam mattress in the swags and replaced them with the self inflating ones. Used it at the weekend acually.
Sharon
FollowupID: 633183

Reply By: Tim - Stratford (VIC) - Monday, May 18, 2009 at 07:57

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 07:57
Alex,

My two kids, 12 & 10, sleep on a COI Leisure bunk setup in the kamper. These may not suit you younger ones but the bunks can be setup as two singles which sit about 200mm off the floor. They stack fairly flat and we carry them on the top of the bed in our kamper.

Tim - Stratford

AnswerID: 365466

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Monday, May 18, 2009 at 21:21

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 21:21
Alex,

make two pairs of pyjamas out of the fluffy half of Velcro. Put the hook side of the Velcro on the stretcher -they shouldn't fall out of bed ever again.

Bob
AnswerID: 365569

Reply By: Member - evren1 (WA) - Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 00:00

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 00:00
Alex,

our 3 yr old started using this at 2. It's his campin cubby and he loves it. It is made by kookabura. In it we use a self inflating single mattress his pillow and top of the range sleeping bag for camping in Winter(gets cold down here in Margaret River), and haven't had a drama!
The big seller for us was that it could be zipped up and the zippers locked so he couldn't escape and wonder off during the night as much of our camping is on Rivers or at the beach! It also packs up in its own bag pretty flat!

Image Could Not Be Found
Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 365601

Sponsored Links