70 series cruiser air filter leaking dust

Submitted: Monday, May 18, 2009 at 21:27
ThreadID: 68959 Views:6450 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Have had dramas with my 76 series v8 cruiser. It is to do with dust bypassing the filter and entering the engine. it is only very fine but still should not be happening. i contacted phil mccarrol toyota, they took photos and sent them off to toyota's head office, they responded a month later by saying that it is within toyota's tolerances and will not affect the engine! this being my first new car i am very dissapointed and wont b buying new any time soon again! apparently other v8 cruisers have had this problem. i have attached the letter i recieved from toyota last week. would be interested to hear if any others have had any dramas with these.

landcruiser 76 series air filter leaking dust
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Monday, May 18, 2009 at 21:44

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 21:44
Pity it is too small to read!
AnswerID: 365580

Follow Up By: 76 series cruiser - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 13:23

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 13:23
yes tried getting it as big as i could, would not work for some reason. toyota pretty much says in the letter that it is acceptable and within their tolerances. at least it is on paper
FollowupID: 633545

Reply By: Member - G N (VIC) - Monday, May 18, 2009 at 21:51

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 21:51
Had same issue with gunuine Fiat tractor filters years ago, swapped to Donaldson = problem solved
they recon our dust is beyond some of the european filter specs as they have very little dust and no where near as fine ads ours

regards
GN
AnswerID: 365583

Reply By: Member - Redbakk (WA) - Monday, May 18, 2009 at 22:34

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 22:34
I find that very dissappointing that Toyota have said that, as dust is an enemy to diesel engines.....we don't except that in the mining industry and servicing the air filtration sytem is top priority as a dusted engine is very costly for us.

As a result I am very fussy about my own engine in regards to oil, water, fuel and especially air......and even more so because it has a turbo.

I absolutely agree with you...it should not be happening.
AnswerID: 365593

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 12:50

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 12:50
Remember though despite what you and I as the end user thinks most manufacturers consider a vehicle life to be 5 years, especially the Japs as anything older than that is nearly impossible to register in Japan.
Toyota obviously consider that it can ingest that level of dust and make it to 5 years, if you want it to last longer then might be worth adding better filtration. Oiled foam will let more through than a Toyota filter though.
The original round Toyota filters that used to be fitted to all cruisers were very good at keeping dust out, I fitted an oiled foam element to two 70 series and both showed dust traces like your photo's, went abck to genuine paper elements, no more dust in the inlet tract. The foam filter was oiled by the manufacturer so I did nothing wrong as far as that goes.
AnswerID: 365652

Follow Up By: kiwicol - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 17:41

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 17:41
Have to disagree about the oil filters letting more dust through. I have 2 oil filters on the GQ, it has done 370,000ks, and doesnt use a drop of oil, have been through some horrific dust travelling. The whole filter system gets covered in a film of oil which greatly increases the area for caqtching dust. I am only on my second pair of filters in 12yrs, not to bad i reckon. Their only down side is they are no good for modern systems with sensors fitted. Col
FollowupID: 633577

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 20:32

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 20:32
Your photo shows more dust than I would consider to be normal. I share your concern.
AnswerID: 365727

Sponsored Links