One van park I know not looking for customers....

Submitted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 09:24
ThreadID: 68973 Views:3650 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all, Just joined this great forum as a visitor and will be joining as a member shortly. Just wondering if van park at Clermont has changed hands , we have used it before and thought it was great. Pulled in there Thursday a couple of weeks ago just on sundown (6.05 pm) looking for a site. Door was closed but office still occupied, knocked on door they looked up but ignored us so knocked again, same response. Must be making too much money. Couldn't believe sign on the door CLOSED SUNDAYS & PUBLIC HOLIDAYS. Am I missing something here? I thought these would be some of the best days for business. Anyway drove into park to turn around, certainly wasn't full and drove away dumdfounded and disgusted and camped at a truckstop. Certainly be giving that place a wide berth in future.
Glacier Bill.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 09:44

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 09:44
Thanks for the post Bill

The wife and I are going to Blackwater for 7 weeks and I am going up to Clermont to bit of detecting and was going to stay overnight a few times.

I do hope it was a 'one of'.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

Regards BooBoo
AnswerID: 365633

Reply By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 10:48

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 10:48
Worst caravan park I ever stayed at (and we've been around the block and the East coast a number of times) was on the outskirts of Karumba late last year.

Drove in, booked for the night plus river cruise. Parked caravan and (accidently) drove across his 'hidden' irrigation pipe pulling in to my site (NO signs or anything to indicate it is under the ground). Lady came up and said, "If the owner sees you, he'll kick you out for doing that". Doing what? "Driving across his pipe". What pipe? Well he didn't see us so I suspect she went up and told him. Next minute this guy fronts up. First question: "How long you staying?". One night, I said. "Well you can pack up, grab a refund and clear out". Then he went into a rage about having to keep repairing the thing. Wonder what his answer would have been if I had said I was staying longer.

One thing for sure, this is the most ARROGANT park owner I have ever come across and I will NEVER go back there. AND I will make sure I tell everybody I know what a crap place it is !!

Went down to Normanton and stayed at the park opposite the Purple Pub. Walked across to the pub with my small six-pack esky. Front bar, asked for a six pack of XXXX stubbies. "Can you drop a couple of scoops of ice in the cooler for me mate?". Yes, and you wouldn't believe they actually charged me $6 extra for three of those little scoops they use behind the bar.

I wasn't having a very good day ;-)

Malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 365641

Follow Up By: Glacier Bill - Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 12:53

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 12:53
Malcolm, Know exactly how you feel. You'd think they would be a little bit civil and collect the dollars on offer. Guess they know the nomad dollars will keep flowing through the winter so doesn't matter if they treat a few like crap. Don't know about Karumba but there is no competition at Clermont. We camped at Capella just 50 ks south of Clermont on the return trip , nice park and nice people .
FollowupID: 633351

Follow Up By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 17:32

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 17:32
There are two parks at Karumba: one in town (which I believe is OK); and this other one on the outskirts.

BTW the park at Normanton was great.

Having been a small business owner in the tourism industry ourself for a number of years (and runner up to McCaffertys Coaches on one occasion for a National award) we certainly know what can make or break a business. Asked the park owner at Normanton to pass on my comments to the local Tourism Association.

One thing that park owners have to learn is "Word of Mouth" advertising is the greatest (and worst) form of advertising there is. With the advent of the Internet, word spreads fast.

Malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 633404

Reply By: Gronk - Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 13:39

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 13:39
Amazing isn't it....they're in the hospitality industry but don't know the 1st thing about being hospitible ??
AnswerID: 365656

Reply By: Bom-ba - Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 15:56

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 15:56
A few extra miles out of Clermont you get to the Teresa Creek Dam.
nice spot to camp. bugger the van park owners.
My 2c
AnswerID: 365678

Reply By: Member - Cram (Newcastle NSW) - Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 16:13

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 16:13
We stopped at a place just out of Cooktown. Heading out along the road North. Its got a roadhouse and a caravan park.

Pulled in and like always the daughter put her helmet on and rode her bike up to the shop to buy us some ice. When she got back she was upset and said that a man told her she could not ride a bike around.

He, being the owner came down and said no bike riding allowed and his attitude was far from impressive.

We had already payed for four nights but they were happy to refund me and we left the next morning and stayed in Cooktown.

We had been from Newcastle to Cooktown and this was the first place that would not let our kids ride their bikes in the park.

AnswerID: 365680

Follow Up By: pojo - Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 16:51

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 16:51
If anybody is travelling the New England Highway can recommend a stop at the Commercial Hotel Motel at Deepwater good food and friendly hosts they even let you stay in your own van or Rv. at the rear of the hotel for free.
FollowupID: 633401

Reply By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 18:32

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 18:32
The tropicana (spelling??) we are in at the moment in Sarina said they get heaps of bussiness from the other park here who would not let us stay cause we might damage his grass. They even did not charge us for one of our kids as we were honest and said she was turning 6 while we were here. Would highly reccomend this park.

Josh
AnswerID: 365706

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 23:43

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 23:43
Glad you had a win at last Josh.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 633460

Sponsored Links