PTO winch on ebay will it fit my 75 series?

Submitted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 15:05
ThreadID: 68979 Views:8502 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all, I noticed a 60 series PTO winch on ebay, will that fit my 75 series, or can it be adapted? thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - ross m (WA) - Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 15:20

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 15:20
Sometime in the 1980s the 60 series transfer cases went from a 32mm to 38mm idler shaft.
Thats about the only difference I can think of between them and I dont think it would matter anyway.

The only other thing is the winch drive shaft off a 60 maybe too long for a 75,no big deal to have a drive shaft shop modify it if needed.

Its most likely off a grey import from Japan ,so it probably never had much use over there

Just be aware these winches are slow but super strong.
They have a shear pin on the winch which breaks if you overload it.
Its a good idea to keep a spare.
AnswerID: 365672

Follow Up By: wild dog - Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 17:59

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 17:59
Our workshop fitted 4wd accessories in the early 80's.
I can verify the comment about the shear pin. We fitted a lot of PTO winches to new cruisers and as they were new vehicles the rope had to be wound on very neatly.
We used to achieve that by one holding the hook and putting weight on it while the other was ready to knock it out of gear as the hook neared the rollers.
All went OK untill it came time to knock the lever into neutral, being new and stiff it didn't want to move.
By the time the motor had been turned off the winch had pulled the hook through the rollers before the shear pin went.
Result was bent rollers and replacement of the shear pin.

From memory that type of winch came with spare shear pins, they don't break real easy though.
FollowupID: 633410

Follow Up By: Rod W - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 09:46

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 09:46
Yep they were the way to go. My 1971 FJ45 had a genuine tojo PTO driven winch fitted. I busted two cables and the cables just dropped no whip etc. I discovered that the shear pin had been replaced with a HT bolt. When I first got the vehicle I had the attitude "4wd and winch means go anywhere" WRONG it just meant getting deeper into difficulties which I quickly learnt.
FollowupID: 633505

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 10:26

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 10:26
Hi,

If it's this one to which you refer: Toyota PTO they are a darn fine winch!

I had one on my FJ40 and another on my HJ45.

If the transfer case on your 75 is of the old style it will have a removeable alloy plate on the passengers side. If it has this plate then the winch will fit.

If it doesn't have that removeable plate then the PTO unit will not fit. See the picture below, the cover has been removed in these six castings but its location is easy to see on the left hand side.

The drive shaft, front bearing and engagement lever is universal as all the Landcruisers of the right era are the same length from transfer case to front chassis rails. They are probably identical in the front chassis section too.

Hope that helps,

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 365799

Sponsored Links