Why is Nkgala Track Closed on Fraser Island?

Submitted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 21:26
ThreadID: 68990 Views:3307 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Well i know why but thought i'd show everyone else, i just got back from there on the weekend and walked the track and took some pics. Hope you don't mind a link to another forum but i don't want to go through posting all the pics up again.

http://forums.overlander.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=61196

cheers
Rumpig
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rumpig - Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 21:44

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 at 21:44
EDIT :- I THOUGHT OF A QUICK WAY TO C & P IT ON THIS SITE

Whilst over at the fishing expo with Chopper i went for a walk along the lenght of the CLOSED Ngkala Track on Fraser Island to see just why they have closed it off. the following pics will show why it is so, and also the fact that fixing it isn't really an option, an entire new track / route will be needed for any future trips to Sandy Cape, but that won't be happening anytime soon i'd say.

THE ENTRANCE OF THE TRACK HEADING NORTH

PLENTY OF GARBAGE WASHED IN DURING THE RECENT LOW PRESSURE SYSTEMS (ALSO AT START OF TRACK)

LOOKING SOUTH TOWARDS ORCHID BEACH / WADDY DIRECTION AT START OF TRACK

ABOUT 30 METRES INTO THE TRACK YOU FIND THIS

ABOUT 1/2 WAY THROUGH THE TRACK IS THIS BIT, NOT AS BAD AS FIRST MISSING SECTION

ABOUT 3/4 OF THE WAY THROUGH THE TRACK IS THE WORST SECTION

THE FIRST EXIT ONTO THE BEACH AT THE NORTHERN END OF THE TRACK

THE SECOND EXIT ONTO THE BEACH AT NORTHERN END OF TRACK

THE BEACH RUN TO NORTH NGKALA AT NORTHERN END OF THE BYPASS TRACK

so all in all no chance of fixing the old track at all, we will have to wait and see what happens Re: a new track north to Sandy Cape.
AnswerID: 365744

Follow Up By: DIO - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 18:21

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 18:21
I guess that it will only be a matter of time before some 'wally' decides it all looks too good to ignore and has a go at traversing it. Probably get stuck and then blame everyone else for not blocking it off etc.
FollowupID: 633580

Follow Up By: rumpig - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 22:14

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 22:14
there were already wheel tracks there where some clown had already driven half of it. unfortunately common sense stopped him from trying the impossible last section that was washed out.
FollowupID: 633627

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 08:10

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 08:10
Don't hold your breath waiting for EPA to do anything. They don't need a track as they can use the "management track" through platypus bay and then run up the beach on the western side to get to the tip. Thanks to the greenies this route is not open to the general public...
AnswerID: 365784

Follow Up By: rumpig - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 22:16

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 22:16
there are already some talks going at the moment. another issue that needs addressing is the lighthouse is running low on Diesel fuel, and they won't be taking a tanker up the western beach, it'd sink for sure.
FollowupID: 633628

Reply By: Member - Peter D M - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 22:14

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 22:14
thanks for the photos'.

last 12 years we have headed up that way every october. last year we noticed the erosion and wondered how long before it fell in. now it has gone there is no need for the epa to close access to the lighthouse nature has helped them out.

the epa will not build a new track, as stated they can go via platypus bay.

as the beaches come and go with winds and tides from time to time all the rocks cover over. about 7 years ago we had a trip that let us drive past without using any of the bypasses.

regards peter
AnswerID: 365906

Follow Up By: Jimmywhisker - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 07:03

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 07:03
I have been going to Fraser regularly for 25 years. having seen the way it has been progressively closed down, I would be surprised if the EPA woul lift a finger to assist peoples enjoyment of the island. The three highlights have always been Platypus Bay (closed progresively down to nil access), Rooney Pt (closed also) and the Cape. I have always felt that the EPA would simply prefer that nobody came - customers are such a pain!

Don't really think we will return - talk about paradise lost. Great memories though!

Peter
FollowupID: 633641

Sponsored Links