pajero steering problems

Submitted: Monday, Jan 28, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 690 Views:7578 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 98 Pajero 3.5l LWB. It has a tenedency to wander and to have a slight 'inaccuracy' in the steering.
The 'wander' is not a pull to either side, but rather a tendency to meander off course if not constantly corrected.
I have driven other 4x4's so appreciate that they don't steer like a car, but mine seems worse that most.
The agents have repeatedly 'fixed' various things(idler arms, bushes etc.) , but it doesn't really improve.
The suspension / steering also has a knock in it, and pereodically develops a loud squeak, which the agents cure with liberal applications of grease.
Has anybody heard of this probelm with the Pajero?
I woulds be grateful for any comments or suggestions.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Adrian - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2002 at 01:00
I have the same car but would not classify it as wandering - I'm thinking of trying a wheel alignment as I find it always pulls to the left but have proven it to be the road's camber - it equally pulls to the right if the road slopes that way - however I've never noticed any other cars are this sensitive to the roads camber.
Adrian
AnswerID: 1880

Reply By: David - Friday, Feb 01, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Feb 01, 2002 at 01:00
I think this problem must be an added accessory to pajeros as I also have this same model and it does the same,I have had the following done, wheel balance, wheel alignment, shockers, tyres all changed and it did not stop doing just the same as you described.
AnswerID: 1907

Follow Up By: Adam - Sunday, Feb 03, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Feb 03, 2002 at 01:00
Dave

I'm glad that someone else has noticed the problem on the pajero steering - after a while I wonder if I'm just imagining things!
Has anyone ever got an answer from Mitsubishi on this question, or does anyone have an email address to which one send a query for the engineers at Mitsubishi?
A friend of mine had a severe wander problem on his pajero. The garage apparently replaced the bushes which support the actual steering column, and this solved the probelm.
FollowupID: 659

Sponsored Links