Land Rover Lovers are everywhere....

Submitted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 15:57
ThreadID: 69009 Views:10177 Replies:28 FollowUps:80
This Thread has been Archived
Owners of Land Rovers, (and Range Rovers) get heaps of flack, and are seen as good sport, for the rest of the 4x4 owning community.
We have all heard the stories, and laughed along with the Cruiser and Patrol owners as we perpetuate the popular Myth.
But ask a bloke that actually owns a Disco or a Defender, and you almost always hear a different story. Once you have driven one for a while, you start to understand the passion owners have for them. It's hard to put your finger on it, they are just different. It's often said they have a soul. How many members are Landy Owners? lets hear some of their stories.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: beelzebug - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 16:18

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 16:18
As the popular Myth goes " 90 percent of Land Rovers ever made are still on the road today.
The other 10 percent made it home"
AnswerID: 365838

Follow Up By: Ozzie Nomad - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 17:02

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 17:02
Actually I think it's more like 75% ever build, but at least the other 25% got home in Comfort.
FollowupID: 633572

Reply By: Member - SR509 (WA) - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 16:24

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 16:24
How do you double the value of a Land Rover?

Fill it up with fuel.

AnswerID: 365839

Follow Up By: Ozzie Nomad - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 14:45

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 14:45
An oldie.....but still a Goodie.............!

With the price of Diesel at Mt Dare Homestead recently ($2.29 ) the value of my old pile trippled.

But.........that tank full (90Lts) got me all the way accross to Birdsville (Via the French line). I still had three unused Jerry's just in case I came accross a thirsty Tojo somewhere......LOL

Ozzie
FollowupID: 633887

Follow Up By: Member - SR509 (WA) - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 10:40

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 10:40
Ozzie, at least your vehicle can hold 90l, mine came with a pathetic 74lt tank. Why aren't all fourbies coming out with 180lt tanks like the Prado.
FollowupID: 634325

Reply By: craig2 - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 16:26

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 16:26
Well I've had a 1999 TD5 for 4 years now and i can understand the loyalty people have for them. They are a great car to drive BUT the niggle little problems you have with them all the time just bleep s me to tears. I have to in the past couple of years had to get the rear air bags fixed, they blew on me at the north end of Frazer Island and had to get it towed back to Brisbane. The trio of lights are a constant problem, the hood lining is now sagging everywhere, Key fobs only last 3 years before wearing out (over 350.00 to replace), constant oil leaks keep appearing but we call that automatic rust proofing.I've had a key snap off in the ignition #days of mucking around and $400.00 dollars later fixed for now. OH and don't get me started on the bleep S at Land Rover service in Brisbane total bunch of knobs if the fault doesn't show on the comp. they won't look at it. So in saying all this it is a good car that will go anywhere.
Besides I've spent so much on it in repairs and the resale value is CRAP it's not worth trading in !! only kidding!!
AnswerID: 365840

Follow Up By: Ozzie Nomad - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 16:50

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 16:50
My old Pile is a 95 series 1 Disco. 14 yrs old and done 300k. Apart from a few fan belts and a couple of tyres & windscreens, I've never had any greif with it. A little 4cyl 2.5ltr TDI motor. The tryes are too tall, and it's always loaded with too much stuff. I always get about 850klms from a tank, and there's nowhere it won't go. A very comfortable ride, and it doesn't rust after all the beaches it's driven. Just lucky I guess.
FollowupID: 633567

Follow Up By: Member - SR509 (WA) - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 11:34

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 11:34
You sure it isn't a rebadged Toyota?
FollowupID: 633696

Follow Up By: Ozzie Nomad - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 11:19

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 11:19
I've owned several, and had plenty to do with Toyota's over the years. Also a couple of Nissans, an Effie, an old Scout, and even an early Jackaroo with the famous ST11 pack.
Also worked for many years with Toyota Australia, and various Dealers around the country.
They are decent enough trucks in a fairly basic sort of way.
You get what you pay for, and you don't pay that much for something like a Hilux.
The value for money question is satisfactorily answered for many punters.

Some of us like a beer, some of us like a Scotch, others prefer a Bundy. To each his own, they'll all get you just as whacked.

You rarely hear a bloke bag the other guy's prefered poison, but the old Land Rover thing never fails to get it started.

Fun to watch...................
FollowupID: 633846

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 16:26

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 16:26
Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 manual & if it's half as good as the Nissan Terrano 2 TDI that it replaced I will be happy.

The other popular saying is that "Land Rovers don't leak oil, they are merely marking their terrritory"!
AnswerID: 365841

Follow Up By: Nargun51 - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 16:51

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 16:51
Far better than the Terrano II.

More comfortable to drive, better handling (both on and off road) and a 1st class tourer with plenty of room to live in.

It is idiosynchratic, a few things that you learn to live with, but after 190000 km I sold my TD5 with great reluctance and sadness and (other than maintenance) no expense.

The newer Pajero is more car-like to drive and has a couple of aspects that are easier to live with

But, it doesn't have a soul.

I can't imagine Pajero owners guiding you into a spot on Fraser Island, just so the DI, DII, Rangie, Defender and Series II would be in a line and 5 guys looking under the bonnet of the Series whilst the women stood by looking on with amusement and silently shaking their heads
FollowupID: 633568

Follow Up By: Ozzie Nomad - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 16:59

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 16:59
It's a Land Rover thing, many will never understand.
We even wave at eachother as we pass on the hiway, untill I started driving Land rovers, I don't ever remember getting a wave from a passing fellow patrol owner. Maybe we are just supprised to see another Disco way out there in the middle of nowhere.
FollowupID: 633570

Follow Up By: tim_c - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 17:30

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 17:30
"I can't imagine Pajero owners guiding you into a spot on Fraser Island, just so the DI, DII, Rangie, Defender and Series II would be in a line" Ha ha, ROTFL :)

I remember the ol' Landy they had in the film "The gods must be crazy" and the mechanic cursing because the bolts/nuts were always where you couldn't get a spanner onto them. I thought naively that all cars were like that, until I tried working on an old Series III LandRover! It would also be good if you could remove the engine oil dipstick without removing the air cleaner pipes first! I guess you don't really need a dipstick, if the leaks slow down, you add more oil.

I drove the old Series III from Melbourne to Canberra - that was a long day! But the car was surprisingly rattle free compared to the little Suzuki LJ80 I used to drive. I've since noticed that by the time those old Landrovers eventually crest a hill on the highway, there's often quite a fan club behind them! :)
FollowupID: 633575

Follow Up By: tim_c - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 17:36

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 17:36
Oh, forgot to mention the best bit:

Most 4WD's have a warning that if you use 4WD on hard surfaces, you will cause excessive strain and most likely will damage the transmission/drivetrain. The Landy had a warning that "use of 4WD on hard surfaces for prolonged periods will result in accelerated tyre wear." :)
FollowupID: 633576

Follow Up By: Ozzie Nomad - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 18:26

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 18:26
Back in 1968 the Range Rover was sporting an all aluminium body on coil springs, live axles, 4 wheel disks, full time 4x4, and an all alloy v8 that hauled 4 ton at 100mph. The Japs only got onto some of this about 30 yrs later.
Back in 1988, your basic "Poverty Pack" Disco was standard with power everything, Dual Zone climate control, and a Direct Injection diesel (the TDI) that made the Nissota's oilers look like Massey fergussons. And still with an alloy body.
FollowupID: 633581

Follow Up By: Member - SR509 (WA) - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 11:37

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 11:37
All good having all the bells and whistles but while the Massey Ferguson looking Patrol is in camp setting up, the Landy is sitting in climate controlled, al bodied, coiled springs with live axles, V8 shell on the side of the road hooking up a tow strap to a Toyota or Nissan.
FollowupID: 633698

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 17:37

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 17:37
SR509

you may care to take a peek at the photo in my profile. Is that what you meant when you said " on the side of the road hooking up a tow strap to a Toyota"?

Bob
FollowupID: 633727

Follow Up By: Member - SR509 (WA) - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 17:41

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 17:41
I never knew it was easier to tow a Landy in reverse. I will keep it in mind next time I am asked for help by a Landy owner. Shouldn't have to wait too long.
FollowupID: 633729

Follow Up By: cityslicker - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 18:21

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 18:21
Nice reply, got a good chuckle out of that one!!
FollowupID: 633730

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 23:37

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 23:37
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Personal Attacks Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 633796

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 23:45

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 23:45
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Personal Attacks Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 633797

Follow Up By: Member - SR509 (WA) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 10:26

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 10:26
Oooh Bob, sounds like I hit a nerve.

Meer banter and you go all aggressive. Besides the point that I have probably covered more of Australia than you, yes the Hilux hasn't but it will, I think that if you were stuck in the middle of nowhere and your Landy was broken down, you would be asking for help from this Hilux owner if it came by. Sure I would give you a ribbing, but I am not too proud a man to give you a tow.

Same shoe fits the other foot, if you were to come along and I was stuck, then I would be waving the tow strap at you.

If you think you wouldn't ask for help, then you obviously haven't been to the places I have as out there, if you get stuck or break down, you are in a world of hurt if by yourself.

Look Bob, get off your high horse, a thread like this was always going to invite banter and I do like stirring the pot, which in this case with you I think I have excelled.

I am over it, I am sure you can be too.
FollowupID: 633834

Follow Up By: Ozzie Nomad - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 11:05

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 11:05
Now kids.........

Remember we all agreed to be nice to each other.

We all know that Bagging the other bloke, does indeed make you feel better about yourself, but let's just keep our powder dry, or daddy will turn around and take you all home.

I know there aren't enough Land Rovers around for everybody to have one, but if you missed out, there's no need to get upset with the guy who has one.

When you grow up, you'll understand, and if you behave, you can have one then.

In the mean time, just get out there in whatever truck you like best, and go see Downunda.

Even if you insist on doing it in some Jap tub, the Bush won't care, and when you get stuck somewhere, there is sure to be a Land Rover along to help you out sooner or later.

Lets live, and let live, shall we.
FollowupID: 633843

Reply By: wicket - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 16:27

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 16:27
My neighbour has a disco and loves it but he bemoans the fact that he has to constantly spend money on it it's about 6 or 7 years old and his latest expense was a new diff, think it cost him about$2k.
AnswerID: 365842

Follow Up By: Russ n Sue - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 09:24

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 09:24
I used to work at a Land Rover dealer, in the Service Department. If your neighbour had to replace a diff in a Disco, then it must have had a real hard time in the past. They just don't break.

My gues would be that it has got a guts full of water at some stage, or not had the oils changed when they should have been.

Front prop shaft, on the other hand......

Cheers

Russ.
FollowupID: 633658

Follow Up By: Ozzie Nomad - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 10:01

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 10:01
I must be lucky too russ,
I've been driving them for donkey's and never experienced any greif. I've broken one a couple of times, but never the truck's fault. Usually the result of some extreme use, or poor judgement.

But I bet if you jumped off a rocky creek bank at 60klm p/h (not seeing it in the dark) landing nose first into rocks at the bottom with a full stop, your average truck will suffer as one of mine did once.

I've never been able to wear out a Diff or a transmission, though I tend to keep clean oil in them, (they last longer that way) and if I take one swimming, or on a long arduous haul through the bush, I usually get all the crap cleaned out of wherever it got in, so it doesn't fail next time i'm out the back of nowhere..

Front Prop shalft........? Me too, I'll give you that one.
They don't like the extreme angles some suspension lifts afford.
But hey......it was over 250,000klms old, and fixed for less than $200.00 with a (stronger) replacement part you buy over the counter.
Cheers,
Ozzie
FollowupID: 633663

Reply By: Member - Cram (Newcastle NSW) - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 16:27

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 16:27
You just asked for it Ozzie Nomad....lol You are best to head into AULRO for some Land Rover stories because all you are going to get now is the same old stale jokes...... :)
AnswerID: 365843

Follow Up By: Ozzie Nomad - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 20:41

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 20:41
Always good fun though.

They recon ...... Opinions are like Armpits.
Most people have at least one, often more than one.
But mostly they just all stink.

Get this one started around the camp fire, and you'll never put it out.
FollowupID: 633613

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 16:33

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 16:33
G/Day Ozzie

We owned a 1995 Range Rover, I bought it for the Cook, it had 75ks on the Speedo, nice to drive, reasonable power, good for towing our boat, we purchased it from a Rover Dealership on the Gold Coast, I only drove it occasionally, I had my own vehicle, anyway we decided to go on a trip in it out west,on the way out there the Viscous Coupling Fan exploded, in doing so it demolished the Radiator, gouged through the Bonnet, and we were stranded, we couldn't get Mobile Phone contact, and had to flag down a passing vehicle, the young bloke notified the RACQ in the next town and they came out with a Tow Truck and towed us back to his workshop, they couldn't repair the vehicle so we had it transported back home, we found out after it was repaired and tried to claim insurance that Rover had notified there Dealerships ect to notify there clients about a problem re: Viscous Fans, apparently if the Fan Blades go a Yellowish colour they have to be replaced, because they have a tendency to disintergrate, anyway after a bit of legal pressure the Rover Dealership paid all costs ect, we sold the vehicle 6 months later.

Cheers
Daza
AnswerID: 365844

Follow Up By: Brian Purdue - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 17:05

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 17:05
Until last year I had a 1993 Vogue 175,000 on the clock. The only time I had trouble with it was when it was not servied properly. 19 mpg and went anywhere and everywhere in the bush.
I did not try to climb mountians or swim rivers with it.
If I was still young enough I would have another without hesitation.
Yes, I have had two Toyotas, one Nissan and a Suzuki 3 cyl go anwhere.
The only people who do not like RRs are people who do not have one. Or who have bought a secondhand wreck.
Brian
FollowupID: 633573

Follow Up By: Ozzie Nomad - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 09:00

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 09:00
Hi Brian,
Land Rover Australia still honours all it's old recalls and upgrade notices. The factory people are very attentive.

A chap I know, recently bought a Rangie Sport.
He insisted it had some sort of shimmy in the steering, and some other niggle somewhere. He whined and moaned at them for a while. They had his car back several times, claimed that nothing was wrong, (I couldn't figure out what he was on about either) but replaced his steering rack, tyres, and rear diff. (under warranty) It didn't seem any different to me afterwards, and I couldn't fault it before either, but to keep the client happy, the factory was eventually bullied into giving him a fresh new truck. They traded back his (by then 12000klm old) sport for what he paid for it new, and his fresh new Sport cost him nix. His old truck was (coincidently) bought by another mate of his, from the dealer that the factory jammed it into. The new owner has not had any issues, and the truck crossed the Simpson last winter en route to the Finke races to help back up some bike riding mates.

Try that one on down at the local Nissan dealership.
Cheers,
Ozzie
FollowupID: 633653

Reply By: Ozzie Nomad - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 17:15

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 17:15
A rangie or a Disco that has a dubious service history is no worse than any other ill cared for car. If it gets clean fuel & oil and everything is maintained properly, they don't break unless you jump off cliffs with them, or flog them to death.
I still have a little 58 series 1 up north on the paddock.
Lives under a mango tree most of the time, and never failes to fire up when needed to haul firewood through the creek.
Still has the original motor and radiator.
AnswerID: 365846

Reply By: The Landy - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 17:35

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 17:35
Currently own two, a 1995 Tdi 300 twin cab, and a 1994 Tdi 200 one-ten and previously owned a Td5 one-ten.

They’ve always taken us were we wanted to go, and got us home.

I look at it this way, works for me so no need to change. Know what the problems are, make sure you monitor and attend to them, and service regularly. Could be advice for an owner of any breed of vehicle!

Sure, jokes abound, but as they say in the classics, just as long as they are talking about you, who cares what they say. Mind you I do have a chuckle every time I see a post about another Patrol engine blowing up (not in a nasty way!), if all I have to deal with is an oil leak, happy with that outcome!

Go the Landy.......
AnswerID: 365849

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 17:35

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 17:35
"ask a bloke that actually owns a Disco or a Defender"..........Out in the desert on a trip I was speaking to a committee member of the Land Rover Owners' Club of Victoria & the conversation came around to the reliability of Landys. I hyperthetically suggested that 1 in 10 were lemons & he by his own admission corrected me & said "No it's closer to 1 in 4".
It's a pity because when you get a good one they are by far the best 4x4's made, leading in innovation, design & practicality & backed up by many awards.
But Nissota fans shouldn't crow too loud at the moment as the reliability of their latest offerings appears to be taking a dive. They're all getting far too complicated relying on too many $50 sensors & 10 cent fuses.
Cheers Craig..............
AnswerID: 365850

Follow Up By: Ozzie Nomad - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 08:38

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 08:38
I keep hearing about the Patrol 3.0L Dies that can't cope with more than 2.5Tonne, has an annoying habit of busting pistons and cranks.
Then there is the Tojo donk that drops Cranks, and the latest 4.5L fire breathing TDV8 that can't pull 6th gear untill you get the revs up, and need about 120klm p/h road speed.

Try a new rangie sport 3.6L TDV8. It'll pull 6th from 50k's when you slow down for a little town somewhere. And returns never more than 11L/100k

I guess when you go out and pay six figures for your new truck, you get more bleep than the guy that paid much less, when it bleep s itself somewhere. Then when the local bloke is scratching his head trying to find the offending widgets, and you can see he has no idea, the frustration builds as you arrange the transport back to the smoke to the guy that does.

Everything is so full of computers nowdays, the old process of elimination by the side of the road doesn't cut it anymore.

Cheers,
Ozzie
FollowupID: 633648

Follow Up By: Boobook2 - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 11:51

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 11:51
Ozzie Nomad, in you OP you said

"We have all heard the stories, and laughed along with the Cruiser and Patrol owners as we perpetuate the popular Myth.
But ask a bloke that actually owns a Disco or a Defender, and you almost always hear a different story."

Your non factual post about 6th gear above shows that perpetuating myths is obviously not limited to Cruiser and Patrol owners.

If you had ever driven one, I am sure you would know that 6th came in from 100kmph plus. But Toyota's latest free upgrade makes 6th work from 93 - 95kmph.

I guess mis-information is on all sides hey?

Having owned a LR with months of down time and unbelievebe costs, sufice it to say you can have 'em all to your self, even if you need to start threads to pump prime the resale value :-)
FollowupID: 633702

Follow Up By: Ozzie Nomad - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 11:53

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 11:53
Hi Boobook2,
I can olny speak from my own experience of course, but when I was kindly loaned a shinny new 200 (just after release) for a weekend, I could'nt get the damn thing to pull top gear till about 120k. Sometimes it would hold down to about 100, but as soon as you asked it to pull a bit, it would (Always) drop back to 5th.

I was also astonished with the poor fuel ecconomy. You could almost see the damn guage move. This was the TDV8 too.
Could'nt keep out the dust, no matter what aircon controlls you tweaked, and (Just my opinion of course) the truck handled high speed hiways like a Souffle.

Of the current crop from the land of the rising sun, the primitive old Patrol seems a better buy.

Are you aware that for the same price Toyota asks for a Cruiser TDV8 200, you can buy almost anything from Europe.
Range Rover, Merc, Porsche, top line Disco, Audi's, V-Dubs,
lots.

A TDV8 Rangie sport is on the road for less than $100k, and the new TDV6 Twin Turbo (550Nm) for less than $90k.
To get a similarly equipped Tojo (Sahara) you'll pay significantly more. If you are contemplating spending this sort of money, why not buy the real thing?

When they were cheap, they seemed to be a decent value, basic truck, for the guy who needs it to work, or the family man needing a taxi for Mum and the 4 Billies with no frills, but at today's prices, there are just too many other quality options.

Wander down to a Dealer somewhere and drive a TDV8 Rangie Sport one day. Then tell us all (honestly) that you would rather drive a Toyota.

This Forum really does bring out all fun doesn't it?
FollowupID: 633850

Follow Up By: GoneTroppo Member (FNQ) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 12:18

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 12:18
I for one agree with you Ozzie Nomad, but..........and this is a big but, you're fighting decades of Toyota ads that have brain washed a couple of generations.

After I sold my 99 RR I had a top spec 100 for the day. More gaudy bells and whistles than your average pimp mobile. Driving it felt like going backward 15 or 20 years, crude doesn't even begin to descibe it.

To their credit they've gotten away with it, and made a bucket full of money in the process. Some cracks starting to appear though, plenty of Hylix owners and 200 owners not happy Mr Yota.

With any luck Toyota's time at the top globally will be over in 2009 that will give then someting less to crow about.

I have to admit though the radio in the Toyotas work very well!!!
FollowupID: 633856

Follow Up By: Crackles - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 12:43

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 12:43
Ozzie you miss the point. What good is the best 4x4 (& most don't dispute that) if it's in the garage getting fixed?
I took 4 Range Rovers on a simple tour around Craig's hut etc & that night they were comparing what breakdowns they'd had. The list was assonishing as each had well over a dozen both minor & major warrenty issues, all on cars not much older than a year that had rarely left the tar. One fella's car was actually in the workshop as we spoke & had a loaner for the weekend! To top it off 2 cars over the weekend had breakages that didn't stop them but would need repair when they got home.
A year later we took the same group away on another trip to the Big Desert & no surprises 2 had changed their cars to Lexus's, one a Jeep & one had stuck with the Rangie. They were simply sick of taking their cars in for repair.
Will be interesting in August when I travel with 4 Landy's on a remote desert run to see how they go :-)
Cheers Craig.............

PS: Says something when people upgrade to a Jeep looking for reliability :-)))
FollowupID: 633862

Follow Up By: Ozzie Nomad - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 17:22

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 17:22
Fair point Crackles,

In Fairness though, an "out of the box anything" will probably have drama if you take it off the black stuff, and into the ugly stuff, without first learning how to drive it properly, and preparing it for the job.

Even $200,000 worth of Supercharged Vogue will snuff it out there with the wrong set of variables.
Driver competence, terrain, preparation, & of course operation.

Rember that Top Gear episode, when they had all the fancy stuff (X5, Vogue, ML, & other expencive stuff) in a boggy English countryside field. They all failed miserably, got bogged, slid all over the place, and none of them made it up the slippery hill.
And these were supposedly expert drivers.

Then along comes old mate in his little series one Landy.
Casually chugs past, and straight up the slippery (and by now chopped out) hill. With a dip of his tweed hat, and a look on his face like he's wondering what all the fuss is about.
Priceless.

FollowupID: 633914

Follow Up By: Boobook2 - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 20:25

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 20:25
Ozzie Nomad, as you say your experience was limited. To the point that you are almost certainly observing the adaptive transmission. Of course loaners are driven hard and the changes shift up. Only non owners report 120Kmph plus for 6th for stock 200's.

If you owned one or had one longer you would know that you are not representing the true picture.

Since you asked, yep the 200 is lot of money and I had never owned a LC before. I did have Landrover and despite a pretty expensive, horrible experience, I figured that I should check out LR offerings ( amongst others) given the money.

I went to ULR in Malvern Vic and was chatting to the sales guy. I explained that I had bad experiences owning a LR before and while it loked good on paper, I was naturally nervous about hte reliability, and he proudly told me that Landrover had rectified something like 400 problems since the Disco 2 series. ( WOW!). Anyway, just as he said this, a RACV tray truck pulled up outside the front. The driver came in and announced " I've got another dead one for you". Enought said as far as I was concerned.

You can have them all to yourself. I will have my 6th gear problem that you seem to experience.
FollowupID: 633952

Follow Up By: tim_c - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 16:50

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 16:50
"Remember that Top Gear episode, when they had all the fancy stuff (X5, Vogue, ML, & other expencive stuff) in a boggy English countryside field. They all failed miserably, got bogged, slid all over the place, and none of them made it up the slippery hill.
And these were supposedly expert drivers."

Actually, Ozzie Nomad, I think the guys on Top Gear had a point they were trying to make: ie. that all those people buying luxury SUV's are wasting their money. Since they are racing car drivers, they would see little use for a vehicle designed for the off-road driving which most you and I enjoy.

And they are supposedly expert drivers? Well, they might record a better time around a race track than the average driver, but I'm sure most would agree that that requires a completely different set of skills to successfully negotiating a boggy field, etc.

FollowupID: 634078

Follow Up By: Steve - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 12:34

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 12:34
you know when they trot out the old "in came the RAC tow truck and the bloke said here's another dead one...." it's bu!!$h!t time

at least try something original
FollowupID: 636430

Follow Up By: Boobook2 - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 09:30

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 09:30
Steve, you can believe it or not. It is true.
FollowupID: 637187

Follow Up By: Steve - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 11:26

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 11:26
yeah, right
FollowupID: 637205

Reply By: troopyman - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 18:00

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 18:00
I would love to own this .

AnswerID: 365855

Follow Up By: Ozzie Nomad - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 18:29

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 18:29
Now that's a truck..............
FollowupID: 633582

Reply By: Patrol22 - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 18:47

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 18:47
Land Rover owners certainly are a different breed. Anyone who has ever owned one either has a Series Landy or a Disco or Rangie in the shed that is either being rebuilt for that big trip, being admired every other day, being bragged about at any opportunity- or is wishing they could do all of this --- And, they continue to yearn for Landy heaven even though they might now be blasting around town in a 200S, Patrol, etc etc etc. MQ shorty and Shorty 40 owners are in this same general group I reckon.
For those with the Series vehicles you might like to read about this forthcoming big Landy trip.
AnswerID: 365865

Follow Up By: Ozzie Nomad - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 19:54

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 19:54
True enough,
Most Landy owners have more than one.
Often you can't bare to part with something that you have tossed so much time, and often money at. They sort of become part of the family. Especially old ones.
But being a Landy enthusiast doesn't stop you owning all manner of other stuff too.
The Touring rig, or the Bush Pig, aint no fun in peak hour traffic.

Your forthcoming Big Landy Trip looks like a great time.
Can anyone tag along......at a discreet distance perhaps, I'm likely to be up there around then.
FollowupID: 633601

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 20:09

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 20:09
Ozzie Nomad - I have nothing to do with organising or running this trip. If you are interested give the contact number a call or send them an email. From what I can gather it is being organised by the LRC of the ACT but is open to Land Rover enthusiasts everywhere.
FollowupID: 633605

Reply By: Member - Axle - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 19:09

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 19:09
OzzieNomad

I've owned a landy 130 Tdi 300 Defender ute for about 6yrs, and it serves its purpose as a work ute, used every day often loaded up to the hilt. All i can say it has not been that unreliable that i've had to think about getting rid of it , Quiet the opposite!!, Yep! they have issues, but as Landy says above, get to know them, and keep up with a few low cost things and they are great work horses. As far as the 300tdi 2.5ltr turbo intercooled motor goes !, when looking back at their design date they are are starting to make some of the opposition engines of the same era and later models look pretty bloody ordinary as far as economy and reliability issues go. As owning a v8 petrol LC100 Toyo, it is quiet a education to tow the same 2ton van with them..lol.. The cruiser you say "what Hill", The landy you say Man this thing pulls ike a Bullock" for the size of the donk..lol.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 365871

Follow Up By: Ozzie Nomad - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 20:09

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 20:09
LOL, that's true.
A whopping 87KW from the old 300TDI I think it was.
But there is also 286 Nm of torque 2000rpm.
Back then, there wasn't any fire breathing quad cam V8's in the competition, and the generic Jap offerings of the day, were primative compared to where the Europeans were at with their engines. Who had Intercooled Turbo's and Direct injection in 1988?
It's all relative. From the July build for Aust, the Base model Disco 3 gets a 3.0LTwin Turbo V6 Turbo Diesel with 180Kw and 550 Nm. The Tojo's need 4.5 ltrs of Iron V8 to get close, and the Rangie TDV8's still make the latest Jap stuff look ordinary.
FollowupID: 633604

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 21:06

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 21:06
Isuzu 2.8 td was direct injection in 1988, used in the Jackaroo and later in the rodeo. I know of one that has done 750000ks. The isuzu 3.8 used in 110 s in the mid eighties was also direct injection.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 633617

Reply By: Rockape - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 19:32

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 19:32
Alas!!!!! when I sold my last Lantrover, I cried TEARS of JOY for weeks.
AnswerID: 365879

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 20:03

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 20:03
Happy with mine.

Reading about the oil leaks reminded me that mine did for a while but tightening the diff nuts fixed that.

I do have the three amigos, but they don't seem to be interfering with its progress. I'll be replacing discs and ABS sensors in due course so expect that will address that.

The thing that always amazes me is the antipathy that LR seem to generate among some punters. In fact the less direct experience they have the more antipathetic they seem.

Bob
AnswerID: 365884

Follow Up By: Ozzie Nomad - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 20:14

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 20:14
Hi Bob,
Is that an 80 series cruiser your disco is towing on the Indian Pacific service track?

You're right, the most colourfull dialog always seems to come from the bloke that has never even sat in one.
Cheers,
FollowupID: 633607

Follow Up By: Ozzie Nomad - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 10:54

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 10:54
Try tapping gently on top of the ABS sensors at the disks.
They often just need a little realignment. As the rotors wear, the sensors end up in a slightly different place in relation to the rotor, causing the computor to think its faulted.
The dealer will most likely just tap it back, and charge you for three hours labour, and parts that might not even get fitted, or at least un-nessesarily.

You will probably (usually) find the other lights will go out then too. I've done this tweak twice on my 99 LS Disco 1 V8.
Replaced all the rotors last year (only $88.00 each) and the lights went on. A little gentle tap on top of them dropps them down to where they should be, and it was lights out. All good. try it first before you let some Nail in a dealership charge you to scratch his backside.
Ozzie
FollowupID: 633678

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 17:25

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 17:25
Ozzie

Yes its an 80 series. broke down half way up the Connie Sue and had to tow it into Kal, about 500 km.

Thanks for the tip about the 3 amigos. I'll give it a go.

When it was last serviced the lights were off for a while but relit under moderate brake force, suggesting a mechanical issue related to the rotors or pads.

Bob
FollowupID: 633725

Reply By: viz - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 20:17

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 20:17
Had a two door Rangie for 15 years - best car I have ever owned. Have a LC100 now and while it *does* get to the end of the driveway without breaking down, the Rangie out-performs, out-steers, out-brakes, out-handles on road and in the rough. As long as you had petrol and spark (sometimes the latter could be a problem...) it was unstoppable.

The electrical system finally beat me (Lucas, Prince of Darkness, invented it apparently) and I sold it to a Rangie tragic in the northern beaches who threw a heap of money at it and replaced the wiring.

The car is now some 38 years old and was one of the original ones in Oz, if not *the* original one. I spent the GDP equivalent of a third world country on it, rebuilt the motor and drive train once, after the previous owner did the same. Shades of Grandfather's Axe.

Still reckon they are a great car, with all its faults. Wonder if the latest ones have the same charisma?

viz
AnswerID: 365886

Follow Up By: viz - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 20:21

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 20:21
I should also add that I learnt to drive in a Series 1 and Series 2 Landrover that we had on the farm - and as a kid I remember them being noisy, hot and having a forest of multi-coloured gear levers in the cab. But they were unstoppable.

viz
FollowupID: 633610

Follow Up By: Ozzie Nomad - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 20:32

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 20:32
Hi Viz,
Those early ones were really something weren't they?
Back then a litre of super was'nt $1.40 either, so you could afford to feed it.
I have not long ago passed on an old fave my kids called "Fugly" to a mate that had his eye on it for ever. I think it's on it's third engine now, and nobody can remember what colour it was originally. Old Fugly had more hits than the beatles, was set alight twice, drowned on Frazer once, and was remarkably resuscitated, and towed horses and boats up and down from Melb to QLD for years.

Last I heard, it was being frocked up for competition somewhere.
Those old trucks really did have a soul.
Ozzie
FollowupID: 633612

Reply By: Member - ross m (WA) - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 20:41

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 20:41
I wanted a Landrover for years. It was ex owners and their horror stories that talked me out of it.

Thay dont have a soul,thats just a cover story to explain away the problems.

When Landrovers can go 3-4 years without a component change(with the exception of service parts) like my Landcruiser,Ill buy one.

I dont hate them ,I just wish they wouod come up to the Japanese standard and add some competition.
AnswerID: 365889

Reply By: Member - Terry W (ACT) - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 21:16

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 21:16
I started driving Land Rovers in 1967 during my National Service. Then the Army had a bunch of SIIAs, and subsequently replaced them with SIIIs, and during the late 80s with various variants of the 110 (Project Perenti). You might ask why Army stuck with them all this time if 1 in 10 or 1in 4 is a lemon. I understand that Rover did not bid for the current vehicle replacement program, which is buying Mercedes.

I once was an instructor at Army's Land Warfare Centre, and we had very old 109 inch 10 seater station wagons made by swapping wagon bodies from worn out vehicles onto low mileage workshop vehicles in an attempt to keep them going until Project Perenti delivered new vehicles. They finally got so ratty that safety was an issue, and we were given permission to buy some civil variants. We trialled a Toyota Troopie (the vehicle preferred initially by almost all the instructors, and a Land 110 wagon. At the end of the trial the verdict was almost unanimous: buy the Landy. Sadly they arrived after I left LWC.

I have had 4 Land Rovers of my own. Two SIIAs (a hard top and a wagon), one SIII, and then after a gap of nearly 20 years, a 4.6 litre V8 Disco II, which is my favourite of all the vehicles I have owned. The Series vehicles took my young family all over the place in the 70s and 80s including some very long trips and some very rough country. The Disco is now our preferred touring vehicle, with or without our van.

They do need more maintenance than Toyotas, but so do Ferraris et al. (Not that I am comparing Landys with Ferraris, but thoroughbreds usually need more attention). But are they unreliable? Not in my experience. Do they need parts replaced at lesser intervals than they should? Undoubtedly. Would I have another one? In a flash, not that I will sell my Disco.

One quality they have which is way ahead of Toyota and Nissan is being green. Land Rovers are so green they actually return the oil to the ground, and they don't come greener than that!

Landys are drivers' vehicles. Tojos are transport. Nothing wrong with that, but I prefer the enjoyment I get from driving a Landy.

Cheers,
Terry
AnswerID: 365897

Follow Up By: The Landy - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 21:31

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 21:31
"Landys are drivers' vehicles. Tojos are transport. Nothing wrong with that, but I prefer the enjoyment I get from driving a Landy"

With you all the way Terry........

FollowupID: 633620

Follow Up By: fivedee - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 21:39

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 21:39
Landys may be fair game but one look at the posts on this forum indicates that certain other vehicles are not without their problems, but then again I suppose there is safety in numbers.
FollowupID: 633624

Follow Up By: Member - ross m (WA) - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 09:16

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 09:16
So TerryW,if the instructors preferred the troopy initially,what made them change their mind.
A few ex servicemen have told me they were not impressed with their record in both Iraq and Afghanstan.

FollowupID: 633655

Follow Up By: Ozzie Nomad - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 09:20

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 09:20
Hi Terry,
The total Global supply of land Rover products (including all models & Range Rovers) is only a little less than 200,000 units per year...flat out.

There is only one factory (UK).
These days they don't make tham anywhere else.

There just aren't enough Land Rovers built each year for everybody to own one.

To put it in perspective,
recently, Toyota announced that as a result of "Global Downturn" they will REDUCE their Camry production (in Aust.) by 200,000 units per year till things warm up again.

That's just one model, from one plant. and they are reducing output by more than Land Rover's total annaul Global production.

Just a minnow in a very big pond.
Cheers,
Ozzie
FollowupID: 633657

Follow Up By: Member - Terry W (ACT) - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 15:36

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 15:36
Ross,

The main objections to the troopie were its very vague steering and handling, and a lack of confidence on steep slopes. As instructors we had to take our syndicates (8 or nine young officers) to a number of different places, most of which were pretty hilly, to do tactical exercises. No serious 4wd, but a bit of low range. All except 2 as I recall decided that the 110 was a much nicer and safer vehicle for what we had to do with them, once they had tried both.

These were not the so-called Perenti vehicles, which were quite different from the civilian 110s. The one we trialled at LWC was a bog standard civilian 110 wagon.

Cheers,
Terry
FollowupID: 633715

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 07:52

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 07:52
I like many here have owned a - a series IIA wagon with a safari top. We had the best time in this vehicle. The appeal was its rudimentary construction. A trip to Fraser was a simple cleaning process, just open the doors and hose out the lot. We had 4 adults and 4 kids including half a ton of gear on the full length roof rack.

The thought of getting a scratch on a narrow track was just not going to worry me.

However, a mate did supply me with a couple of axles - just in case (never needed these) and installing the fairy overdrive meant we could actually exceed 80KPH but we still fondly talk about this vehicle.

It served us well and gave us further appetite for continuing on our 4WD adventure. We liked the size but the water sealing left something to be desired.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 365932

Follow Up By: Ozzie Nomad - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 08:21

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 08:21
Hi Beatit,
I piloted my little 80inch 58 S1 from Mackay QLD to Windorah NSW some years back. No fairy o'drive. Flat out down hill at about 40mph. It took me 17hrs of driving time. That little truck is still going, and still more or less unmolested today with the original 1.6L motor. Once it gets off the black stuff and into the scrub though.......then it's very much at home, and lots of fun.

It was only the very early ones that used to eat axles, and then only if you were really rough on them. They fixed that.

The early Landy's got a lot of us into 4x4's.
Back then, there wasn't really much else around anyway.
Ozzie
FollowupID: 633647

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 08:39

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 08:39
G'day Ozzie,

Ours was a 6 cylinder petrol and never gave us any trouble. There was one time though when we took it through the under body car wash at Tewantin and the water sprayed onto the underside of the bonnet in the engine bay. God only knows why but these motors had the spark plugs in a well vertically down in the head and this was just perfect to collect water. We cracked a plug and ended up driving home on 5 cylinders - the hills were interesting.

My tragic landy mate still has a shorty and enough spares to build a couple more I'm sure. I recently spent some time running around with him trying to replace an alloy welsh plug he had to remove the old corroded plug but a lot of the thread remained in the block. Shorty story he ended up having a tap made to rethread the block as it seems it was a landrover specific thread - I had a good laugh.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 633649

Follow Up By: Ozzie Nomad - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 10:34

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 10:34
They were an old Side Valve Rover motor from the rover Car line-up. Overhead Inlets, and side exhausts I think. Maybe the other way around. The plugs were in a nice deep hole. When newish they had nice little rubber caps over the plug holes, but after a couple of sets of plugs they tended to get tossed.
Fun getting the buggars out too.

Fiddling with an old one you need about three sets of spanners.
Whitworth, Imperial, the odd metric, and some special Land Rover only tools. They were all hand build by grumpy old Poms in grey dust coats, and I wonder if there were ever two trucks exactly the same. All part of the fun I guess.
Ozzie
FollowupID: 633673

Reply By: stevesub - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 08:12

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 08:12
We are now on our second Landie - the first was a new V6 Freelander - what a lemon. We sold it when the warrenty ran out as we could not afford to keep fixing it. Our list of problems was pages long - BUT my wife still loved it and as she sees it now and again, she says we wishes that we could have afforded to keep it.

While it was under warrenty, the dealer had it for more than we had it during the 2nd year of ownership.

Depreciation - a dirty word, we lost so many $10,000's of dollars, it hurt real big time as we just about had to give it away to get rid of it.

Our 2nd Landie is a 2000 Rangie Vogue - the lounge chair on wheels - we love this vehicle as well, so does our local petrol station as they are still in business just because of our Rangie and the amount of fuel it uses. We bought it at a ridiculously low price 4 years ago (the original owner - a company - lost over $100,000 on it in 5 years). We have had a good run out of it BUT are now starting to spend money at 150,000km

It is completely over engineered which means there is more very expensive complicated stuff to go wrong eg the ABS pump. Also the quality of small things like the tie rod end boots is c***p with splits and holes at 100,000km, and the orginal ones cannot be replaced so it is very expensive new tie rod ends that have to be replaced. Air Suspension - another problem. Electrics, I will do a post on the remote electrics one day - you will not believe it. Oil leaks, yes it is marking its territory.

We are now thinking of moving on to a Toyota or Nissan as a replacement and we will, be sorry to sell the Rangie - BUT the poor credit card. If I sold my boat and Rangie, I would not have to work any more and will have to sell both soon as I want to retire.

We also have a Troopy (never to be sold) and a Terrano II in New Zealand and both only need money spent on servicing, tyres, brakes and fuel.

We find that there is also similar passion amongst Troopy owners - the now ugly duckling of the Toyo world that is such a great vehicle and ever so reliable after the Landies. We love the Troopy just as much as the Rangie.

Stevesub
AnswerID: 365934

Follow Up By: Ozzie Nomad - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 09:38

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 09:38
Ahyes......the Freelander.
well..............yes...............they weren't the biggest success story of their day.
That little (V6) chopped down version of the alloy V8 was a dog.

Used to get hot, and if it got too hot, the steel Cylinder sleeves would heat up at a different rate to the alloy block, and would come loose and move up and down with the piston.
This was not something the little engine enjoyed much, and often resulted in serious open heart surgery.
The Diesel ones were great though, especially when BMW made them with the little 2.0lt motor out of the 520d.

Main problem with the Freelander, was that we all expected it to be a serious 4x4.
It wasn't.
But it wasn't trying to be either.
Back then we hadn't seen the Rav 4's and the other little compact SUV's.

Freelander started the concept, and got it right after a while.
It was all a bit new back then, but the Freelander 2 is still developing the genre today.
Cheers,
Ozzie
FollowupID: 633660

Follow Up By: stevesub - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 10:01

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 10:01
Not a serious 4wd - In NZ, we went everywhere the Disco's went in the Auckland Landrover Owners Club. If we got stuck due to lack of ground clearance, the Disco's dragged us through.

My web site is down right now but there are some amazing pictures of what a Freelander can and did do. I will post a link when it is back up.

The only problem we did not have with the Freelander was the heart of the engine, even though we overheated it at times incl in mid-summer Brisbane traffic. (We bought the Freelander over from NZ when we moved here - big mistake)

Some of what I remember being fixed/replaced (some under warrenty) were complete new braking system (ABS, sensor's, calipers, etc), new gearbox, complete new wiring loom (ask Landrover why), new radio, new starter, alternator, petrol gauge sensor, reversing sensors, 3 new computers, new inlet manifold, sunroof, power windows, door catches, timing belts idler pulleys, etc.

All these were on a vehicle bought new and less than 4 years old as still had issues when we sold it as is.

Stevesub
FollowupID: 633662

Follow Up By: Ozzie Nomad - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 10:19

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 10:19
They would certainly go (Almost) anywhere, in capable hands.
Ground clearance, and lack of low range for climbing really steep stuff fully loaded, was the main handicap.
The factory has always been good with warrwnty though. To the point where a lot of dealers were rorting the system. Out of laziness mainly (I'm told) the dealer would just replace the whole assembly of some major component (like a diff or a rack) with a new one, and send the original one back to solihull. Rather than pull it apart and diagnose the actual issue. The factory was itself to blame, it made things easy for the dealers. Their "no questions asked" warranty attitude was easy money for the dealer.

I saw a new Freelander 2 scooting up the Frenchmans Spur in the Vic high country some weeks back, like he thought he was on the M1. Kids in the back with headphones on watching a video.

Cheers,
Ozzie
FollowupID: 633670

Reply By: GoneTroppo Member (FNQ) - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 08:46

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 08:46
Geez Ozzie the buggers don't half come out of the woodwork, there was me thinking this was a Toychitwoo forum only.

Let's see now I still have a 94 300 tdi Defender 110

I've also had
99 Rangie 4.6
99 Defender 130 Dual cab chassis
74 SIII SWB
54 SI

The two Defenders went to most parts of OZ and did all the hard tracks worth doing.
No reliability issues other than a rear diff in the 130 which was probably due to the way an Air locker had been fitted.

The Rangie was a road car only and I had to pry my wife out of it when I wanted to sell it.

Driving the 54 SI was a pain in the a because everyone wanted to talk to you all time. Met some interesting people though.

The 110 has a turbo tweak, Dual air lockers, OME suspension, Maxidrive axles and runs 34" Super swampers on bead locked D1rims.
There is not a hell of a lot that will stop it!!
My main gripe, not enough power on road

Do I like Landies? Sure do they have an indefinable something which Jap stuff lacks.
Have to say my Effie has some of that something also, beats me why.

Would I buy another Landie?
Yes! when they put some power like the TDV6 or TDV8 in the Defender.

Is reliability an issue? Depends on lots of stuff, the reality is that Jap stuff isn't exactly faultless as a quick read of some of the post on here will confirm.

AnswerID: 365939

Follow Up By: Ozzie Nomad - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 11:12

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 11:12
Hey Gone Troppo,
That would be a top rig wouldn't ?
A TDV8 Fender. I imagine there would be a line up for them.
Unfortunately, the classic old Defender is not long for the history books. All these emission laws, road safety rules, and more stringent ADR's and their global equivalents means the end of an era shortly.
The flash black 60th anniversary SVX number we've seen recently is likely to be the last. The old Fender is a Dinosaur. Much loved perhaps by some of us, but without even fitting child encourage points, let alone sound proofing or carpets, it won't be long before it just won't cut it legally anywhere. If they made the truck conform to all the markets, it wouldn't be the truck that it is, and as such defeat the whole idea.

It's becoming clear to Land Rover, that the old Fender is not long for this world. They only have one production line and about 30 guys building them now. Last year they built less than 20,000 units. The SVX is an example of how they empty the parts bins when running out the model line.

The old series trucks may eventually become valuable collectors items as a result.
Ozzie
FollowupID: 633684

Follow Up By: The Landy - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 11:30

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 11:30
"The old series trucks may eventually become valuable collectors items as a result."

Good ones already are.....

If/When production of the 110/130 ends everyone will want one!

I drive my Red 110 everyday, its even a chick magnet; stopped by a girl in the carpark the other day who was admiring it (or was it me?)
FollowupID: 633693

Follow Up By: GoneTroppo Member (FNQ) - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 11:30

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 11:30
Know what you're saying, bit sad though.

Kind of wonder though if if they end up shifting the UK line to India. Be a good developing country seller if they can get rid of the electronics and build them cheaply enough. That is one thing the Indians are very good at.

Aparently there is a crowd trying to do this with the J series Bedfords in Africa for the simple reason that even Africans can't kill them and you can do this a lot cheaper than a modern Jap or Euro truck.

On another note I have been toying with finding a really clean 110 putting all my good bits in it turning it into a twin cab ute and running a small block chev. Sounds like a lot of stuffing around, but when you look into it it it's all highly do-able without spending a fortune.
FollowupID: 633694

Follow Up By: GoneTroppo Member (FNQ) - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 11:49

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 11:49
Landy you must be one handsome devil 'cos that's never happend to me:-) Then again mine is white, maybe that's what it is
FollowupID: 633701

Follow Up By: The Landy - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 12:01

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 12:01
Hahaha...never know your luck in the Bedford!
FollowupID: 633704

Follow Up By: Ozzie Nomad - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 12:06

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 12:06
Go the landy Chick magnet,
There are some girls out there that recocnise a smart man when they see one.
Of course a Red fender will do it everytime, and they are thew quickest ones too.

Where was this carpark again...?
FollowupID: 633854

Reply By: Russ n Sue - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 09:41

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 09:41
Best car I've ever used off road or on. During my working career I have driven or owned

Tojo 60, 80, 100, 45, 75, 79 series
Tojo Hilux (various)
Nissan Patrols (various)
Jackaroo, Rodeo
NP Pajero (I'll never, ever buy a Mitsubishi product again)
Ford Courier
Subaru Brumby
Effie 350
Defender 110 TD5
Disco 3

And the winner is....the Disco 3. It is the most capable, comfortable, practical (we tow a 3.5 tonne caravan), economical (for its size) vehicle that we've ever known.

We call it the "Toyota Recovery Vehicle".

The ONLY complaint we have is that dealers are few and far between. For example, none between Perth and Darwin.

Cheers

Russ
AnswerID: 365942

Follow Up By: Ozzie Nomad - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 10:05

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 10:05
The dealer Network has shrunk over the years, but there are ex-factory guys all over the place in workshops of their own.
The local Ford dealer has the same diagnostic thingamy as the Land Rover shop.
You'll see the Landy TDV6 donk in a Territioy soon.
Ozzie
FollowupID: 633665

Reply By: Member - SR509 (WA) - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 11:48

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 11:48
Correct me if I am wrong but Landy hasn't made their own engine in diesel guise now for a long time due to not being able to produce something worth marketing. They have seriously tried to overhaul their reputation with the Disco 3 and the latest offering has seen them crow bar a CSA (Peugeot) motor in there.

In all honesty, I have loved all my cars. And when all work, they all have good and bad points. What it comes down to is how much you want to pay for the probability of what you are going to get being satisfactory. No company is without it's problems. It's the chances of having a problem. And over Landy's history, even Landy owners admit they have a higher chance of something going wrong. Ok, you might n ot get as much for your money with a Tojo or a bleep an, BUT, the chances of you doing the CSR for example (if you are a betting man) and not having anything go wrong is much better in the Jap trucks.
AnswerID: 365951

Follow Up By: The Landy - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 12:43

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 12:43
More often than not vehicles fail in the sorts of places you mention because of either being ill-equipped for the trip or so often the case, lack of driver experience.

I believe the actual vehicle is secondary to these two important points – get those two right and the likelihood of failures are greatly reduced, regardless of vehicle choice.
FollowupID: 633706

Follow Up By: GoneTroppo Member (FNQ) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 07:10

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 07:10
I always understood that the tdi and td5 were LR engines.
Generally recognised to be a good thing in many ways.
FollowupID: 633806

Follow Up By: Ozzie Nomad - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 14:37

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 14:37
Hi SR509,
When BMW bought Land Rover way back, they decided it would be a good idea to use up their exsisting engines in them, while they raped and pillaged Rangies technology to develop the X5.

The old alloy V8 we had at the time, was about 50yrs old then, and hadn't changed much since Land Rover bought it from Buick.
It was developed it as far as it could be could over the years.
In it's day, it was arguably be slickest mill around in a 4x4.

Lets face it, the old 3F Tojo motor was no work of art, and the Diesel of the day.....well......no prizes for innovation there either.

Eventually, the rest of the world caught up, and then overtook them with engine technology.

In more recent years, Land Rover, (and Jaguar) were fought over by various cashed up suitors. Ford of course owned us for a while, along with others, under the "Premier Automotive Group" (PAG) umbrella.

The crossbreeding and technology sharing amungst the group, and the Gazillions pumped into developement, resulted in the company moving back to the top of the techno food chain again.

I've long lost count of the Awards bestowed upon the latest crop of Landy's....and Rangies.

Interestingly, the Tojo's aren't nearly as well regarded in Europe, or even the States for that matter, as they seem to be in places like Downunda.

The massive advertising budgets may have something to do with the affection, and one eyed views, many Aussies have for thier basic trucks.

Or is it that "Chip on the shoulder" we Aussies have, when it comes to our former Colonial masters?

The topic sure brings out the passion, one way or another.
Ozzie.

FollowupID: 633885

Follow Up By: Member - SR509 (WA) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 15:29

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 15:29
Ozzie, I agree with most things you are saying there and I think the problem always being in receivership or being bought out has been a big issue. I don't think it is a question of a chip on the shoulder, I have owned a series 2 and also a Jeep Wrangler - 4 door in trying to get away from mainstream here in Aus. What it came down to for me is reliability. Now I agree with what others have said in regards to any vehicle can break down, but a reputation is earned for a reason, good or bad.

On to technology, yes Landies have been a couple of times at the top of the ladder, and it is their willing to experiment (or a need to do something to attract sales) that has benefited the whole industry as it keeps everyone moving forward.

Toyota donks have never been at the forefront of technology but have a look at the 80 series for example, it has ended up being of legendary stuff and hence the reason why they still demand big bucks, sure they still break down, but see point previous regarding reputations.

I guess it just comes down to horses for courses. I was amazed last year at how many landies were on the CSR, but chatting to most of them, they have a lot of problems but wouldn't swap them for the world. I was also getting a lot of questions as I had the new JK diesel wrangler 4 door and all wanted to know how it was going. It ended up towing a Patrol out and then blew the front diff and power steering, not to mention the interior rattling loose. But, with all the problems that I had with that Jeep (and it was my first Jeep), I had a soft spot for the bloody thing.

I must admit though, it is nice buying a brand new truck for 50k and having a fair amount of confidence that it is going to treat you right for the next 100,000kms. Sure, my hilux isn't for everyone, but I honestly don't think there is the perfect vehicle out there yet.
FollowupID: 633893

Follow Up By: Ozzie Nomad - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 15:48

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 15:48
You are indeed correct SR5,
A perfect vehicle probably doesn't exsist.
We all have our own version of perfection of course, but Perfection, by virtue of it's very nature, is hard (if not impossible) to achieve, and even if you one day feel you have "perfected" something, some other Nail will come along and improve on it for you if you give him enough incentive.

As far as "Receivership and being bought out" goes, it may surprise many to learn that Land Rover is a very Profitable outfit.

It has been many, many, years since we needed any injections of cash. So sought after as a prize to own, when the Dookies in Bombay were flashing their cash, ford made them cop Jag in the deal. Even with Jaguar sucking on Land Rover's profits, it's still making plenty.

LOL, I figured I would get everybody going with a Land Rover Thread, but I'm surprised (& a bit Bemused) by the passion it generates in everybody here.

All good fun.
FollowupID: 633898

Follow Up By: The Landy - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 16:02

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 16:02
SR 509

People will make what they like of Landies, and if they aren't for some people so be it, but don't be surprised they can make it down the CSR; that is precisely the type of terrain they were built for and were doing it long before a Hi-Lux or Landcrusier made the trip.

I would not hesitate taking my 130 Twin Cab anywhere. It has been built and maintained to undertake remote area travel. Overhauled from the ground-up, no electronics controlling it, the ideal travelling companion! I maintain to a high standard to ensure there are no surprises. Know the problems associated with any vehicle and you can almost certainly avoid any unforeseen problems.

And don't overlook the costs; The 'Landy' is essentially a 'new' vehicle, fully kitted for the job, and all up cost far less than a stock standard Nissan/Cruiser. It is also very fuel efficient, which translates into range travelled, an important remote area consideration.

As I said earlier, driver ability and vehicle preparation will usually determine the success or otherwise of epic trips such as the CSR, vehicle choice is simply the means of achieving it.

Good luck out there........

FollowupID: 633902

Follow Up By: Member - SR509 (WA) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 16:02

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 16:02
It is all good fun. What I love about it most, including people like Bob from Chaos, is that the Exploroz group is a fairly passionate group. The only difference is how people deliver it.

Well done on the creation of a great thread. I have thoroughly enjoyed it. It has been one of the better ones on here of late.
FollowupID: 633903

Follow Up By: Ozzie Nomad - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 16:25

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 16:25
You're right landy,
I'm sure most of us that wander out into the middle of nowhere regularly, have enough common sense to be on the case, and to ensure everyone's safety and enjoyment.

Whatever flavour of truck you like, you still have to understand it's own particular Foilbles, and you owe it not only to yourself, but to the truck, to ensure everything is healthy and functioning.

There is always going to be some Nail out there, stuck in a hole, because he's wandered off somewhere ill prepared, and he can't drive to save himself anyway.

We've all come accross them, sometimes in their shinny new range Rovers, and they don't have a clue.

Half the fun is tricking up the rig anyway, and planning, and preparing, for whatever adventure we're after.

We all need to have our Toys after all, yours certainly looks the goods.

See you out there.....
Ozzie
FollowupID: 633906

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 19:25

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 19:25
SR 509 reminds me of someone who walks into an Irish pub, starts telling Irish jokes, and wonders why he gets smacked.

"How do you double the value of a Land Rover?
Fill it up with fuel."

"All good having all the bells and whistles but while the Massey Ferguson looking Patrol is in camp setting up, the Landy is sitting in climate controlled, al bodied, coiled springs with live axles, V8 shell on the side of the road hooking up a tow strap to a Toyota or Nissan.

"Correct me if I am wrong but Landy hasn't made their own engine in diesel guise now for a long time due to not being able to produce something worth marketing."

"Look Bob, get off your high horse, a thread like this was always going to invite banter and I do like stirring the pot, which in this case with you I think I have excelled."

Mate, you drive a poonce mobile that I'd be ashamed to walk near, let alone sit in. I hope its an auto as you obviously only have one hand free for controlling the vehicle.

"It is all good fun. What I love about it most, including people like Bob from Chaos, is that the Exploroz group is a fairly passionate group. The only difference is how people deliver it.

Well done on the creation of a great thread. I have thoroughly enjoyed it. It has been one of the better ones on here of late."

Excuse me while I vomit laughing.

Bob

FollowupID: 633936

Follow Up By: tim_c - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 20:56

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 20:56

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 633961

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 22:58

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 22:58

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 633992

Follow Up By: tim_c - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 16:19

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 16:19
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Chit Chat Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 634075

Follow Up By: tim_c - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 16:25

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 16:25
Actually, Member Cram (above) also noted the mandatory string of jokes whenever LandRovers are the topic of discussion.
FollowupID: 634076

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 01:18

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 01:18

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 634133

Follow Up By: Member - SR509 (WA) - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 10:49

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 10:49
Bob,

This has gone on long enough. Obviously my comments weren't to your liking, to some they were. You attack my truck because I put practical accessories on there like a winch, bullbar, and some spotties along with a 2-way aerial and because it is new and shiny, it apparently looks like a pimp mobile. I don't understand your humour, or anger, just like you don't understand mine. It is the way of the world and if we were all the same then this would be a boring place. It is one of the great things about this website, there are people of all walks of life on here.

Anyway, enough diatribe. In regards to all my comments about Landies that offended you, I retract them and apologise to you whole heartedly.

Hopefully one day you will see this pimp mobile coming done a desert track one day and you will wave it over for a beer. I will be the first to reach onto the Engel and pull one out for you.
FollowupID: 634326

Reply By: Member - Mary W NW VIC - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 19:40

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 19:40
I reckon my 98 Fender will still be going when I take my last trip!
It's my key to enjoying retirement-economical,reliable and fun!
Cheers,
Mary
"Some people walk in the rain,others just get wet."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 366004

Follow Up By: The Landy - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 13:12

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 13:12
Hi Mary

I was thinking along the same lines, but somehow just didn’t want to tempt fate by saying it…..

Maybe another way to express it is that we will live as long as the ‘Fenders, yes that’s it….the secret to eternal life.

Cheers
FollowupID: 633865

Reply By: goldiedingdangdo - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 21:33

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 21:33
Sitting reading with some entertainment. I had a 79 2door V* auto Rangy. Loved to hate it and basically learned how to be a DIY mechanic. The wife called it The Green Garden Knomb given the amount of time it spent in the front yard with the bonnet up.
Did come into its own off road where it was a delight to drive at whatever you would encounter.

Wife walks in behind me as I write and says the best thing about it was that it had a crank handle to start it when you had flatened the battery. I guess its true being an auto I did use it seriously to get me out of trouble a few times, but particularly it was a good party trick as people would watch in amazement as you pulled out a crank stuck it in through the bumoer and whoomper away the little V8* would go.

Nearly broke a wrist once though when she kicked back at me.

Ian
AnswerID: 366038

Reply By: Patrol22 - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 07:41

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 07:41
Yep no doubt about it Landys are everywhere...even on Mt Panorama: Defender on the Mountain
AnswerID: 366296

Reply By: Member - SR509 (WA) - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 10:51

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 10:51
Bob,

This has gone on long enough. Obviously my comments weren't to your liking, to some they were. You attack my truck because I put practical accessories on there like a winch, bullbar, and some spotties along with a 2-way aerial and because it is new and shiny, it apparently looks like a pimp mobile. I don't understand your humour, or anger, just like you don't understand mine. It is the way of the world and if we were all the same then this would be a boring place. It is one of the great things about this website, there are people of all walks of life on here.

Anyway, enough diatribe. In regards to all my comments about Landies that offended you, I retract them and apologise to you whole heartedly.

Hopefully one day you will see this pimp mobile coming done a desert track one day and you will wave it over for a beer. I will be the first to reach onto the Engel and pull one out for you.
AnswerID: 366590

Follow Up By: Steve - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 13:16

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 13:16
an Engel??????? Jeez mate, you've not wasted your money on one of them useless..................

just kidding mate ;)))

excellent thread and I'm sure we've all learned a bit
FollowupID: 636435

Reply By: Member - SR509 (WA) - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 10:54

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 10:54
Just a quick one for the moderators. What is the most visits are thread has ever received? This would have to be close at over 1,200.

AnswerID: 366591

Sponsored Links