Trailer Plug Wiring - Help

Submitted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 19:26
ThreadID: 69016 Views:4770 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have discovered the wiring on my patrol to the trailer plug is dodgey and i need some help with a couple of wires. The functions are same as a normal trailer plus it has electric breaks and a wire that charges the battey when the car is running (i am pretty sure that this is what the anderson plug does, which i think is ok.

i have the blinkers, tail lights and break lights working on the trailer but still have three wires left

These are
1xthin Brown which lights up the test light when the breaks are on (seems to do exactly the same as the yellow i have conected for brake lights)
1x thin black which appears to do nothing, and does not act a an earth as i have tried this. this one is a real mystery
1xthicker black which also comes on when the brakes are activated, it comes out of the back of the anderson plug. my guess is that this is the electric brakes and i think i know where it goes. but does the thin brown also go with it in the plug or with the yellow?

OK i hope this makes enough sense for someone to be able to help me . cheers dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 19:42

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 19:42
Your BRAKES are normally a BLUE wire on pin 5 in a round plug and on a flat 7 pin if you look hard enuf the pins are named.

Pin 2 is the auxilary.

Your electric BRAKE wire should be a heavy wire or u wont get full voltage to the brakes with a light one

Tr these

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 365881

Reply By: Lex M (Brisbane) - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 19:49

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 19:49
There all here.
http://www.campertrailers.org/trailer_wiring_diagram.htm
AnswerID: 365882

Reply By: blueriderwa - Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 21:27

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 21:27
Thanks for your help guys. it was the reverse wire that was confusing me. i didnt think of it for 1 and secondly it isnt hooked up. Im not going to bother with it because the trailer doesnt have reversing lights anyway. What i have learned though is dont trust a car dealer to put a towbar on for you, the wiring loom is al there but was wired up completely wrong. The left hand indicator didnt even have a wire running to it. the wires are alll hooked up with the wrong colours. Anyway its all good now.

cheers dave
AnswerID: 365900

Follow Up By:- Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 08:51

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 08:51
Dave,
No 2 Pin (Reverse light) is commonly wired to run a 12 volt fridge in a caravan from the vehicle when travelling.

WBS
FollowupID: 633651

Sponsored Links