Following the Seasons - Put up your hands

Submitted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 17:21
ThreadID: 69035 Views:2027 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Our nippy Autumn here in Northern NSW had me wondering what it would be like to travel with the seasons and avoid the extreme Summer heat & extreme Winter cold.

For me that's but a dream. For some lucky others though I bet they're doing it and having a great time.

So what would it be like to always live in that near perfect climate with ideal temperature? Heading North in Winter seems obvious and the weather report makes Darwin seem pretty desireable right now.

But what about Summer? Head South seems the answer. But to where? Where can one travel to avoid the heat? Victoria gets mighty hot, so too Southern SA & Sth WA. TAssie maybe?

Where's that perfect Summer spot? Come on someone out there knows the answer. Cough-up and tell us all your secret in the knowledge that you're safe as most of us can only ever dream.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cruiser .- Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 17:44

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 17:44
Wayne David

Cant say that I have the perfect answer but 2 years ago when we were at Bagara near Bundaberg we meet a guy who has a relocatable at Bagara where he spent 8 months of the year and the other 4 months in Tasmania where he had a caravan on a daughters property.

he reckoned he had the best of both worlds by doing that.

Cheers,

Cruiser
AnswerID: 365980

Reply By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 17:45

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 17:45
We haven't seen winter for two and a half years. We have spent 2 summers in Tassie averaging about 24 deg then head north for winter. We have had the odd week of rain here and there but not constant. Usually broken days of rain over the week. Coming from Gippsland originally I was not sad to see the end other winter or miss the stinking heat of summer. Will be in cape york in 3 weeks to miss another winter. I know we aren't actually missing winter as it is still winter up here just a really nice winter. We met a couple in Tassie who have two permanant jobs, 1 in tassie for 5 months nov-mar and 1 in qld for 5 months may-sept. 1 month travelling between. Now that was a good gig.

Josh
AnswerID: 365981

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 18:25

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 18:25
Ducking winter is easy.

But as you say ducking summer is another problem. Tassie could be nice but it can burn and there is a fair cost in crossing the moat as summer is tourist peak season for them.

Victorian high country may fit the bill but it can burn very well at times. The year after a burn might be the time to visit the high country.

Cooma, Thredbo etc don't know much about summer so could be possibilities in this area.

In both NSW and VIC you would need to steer clear of the low land as they can have a higher summer than we have in Brisbane.

Hope you find utopia and tell us about it. I'll be listening.

Alan
AnswerID: 365986

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 18:35

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 18:35
Years ago I knew a fellow who had a holiday home in Cooktown. He was from near Nowra NSW and went north for the winter....seemed to work for him.
AnswerID: 365987

Reply By: Madfisher - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 20:22

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 20:22
Oberon in the central tablelands of NSW usually has on average 6 days of over 30c most summers. Thats why I use to spend quite a bit of time out their fishing most summers.If an easterly blows in at dusk the temp will drop quickly.
Anywhere at an aititude of a 1000m or more will have pleasent summers temps.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 366009

Follow Up By: Member - Footloose - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 20:35

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 20:35
Not in NZ , no matter how much spin they put on it LOL
FollowupID: 633763

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 21:55

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 21:55
Wayne,

Image Could Not Be Found

April Victorian High Country

Image Could Not Be Found

JuneWell 33 CSR

Image Could Not Be Found

AugustWindjana Gorge Kimberley

Image Could Not Be Found

DecemberSnowy River

Having a great time.

Wayne

AnswerID: 366049

Reply By: Member - Wayne David (NSW) - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 22:08

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 22:08
There's been some beaut responses and I love that I'm not the only one who fantasises about 'following the sun' so to speak.

That idea of 1000m above kind of reminds me of the Brits in India. Didn't they head for the hills to avoid the Indian Summer heat around Kashmir?

Wayne - some lovely pics there. Magic!

But what I was kind of hoping to hook was someone all decked out in a 'home away from home' type of set-up.

I'm thinking large Bushtracker & a tractor to pull it, who just have the game all sewn up. Kind of Broome in Winter & 'that secret spot' (which they reveal to us all) for Summer.

Maybe rather than wait for them to offer themselves up, others need to 'volunteer' them.

AnswerID: 366053

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 22:50

Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 22:50
Wayne,

Is this what you were thinking about.
If you close you eyes a bit and use a lot of imagination you can see the Bushtracker and is that a Hummer up front???

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Came across the bloke last June on the Great Central Road.

Image Could Not Be Found

Or this family was on the Oodnadatta Track July 2005

Wayne

FollowupID: 633794

Reply By: Member - Wayne David (NSW) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 14:31

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 14:31
Wayne, Wayne........Wayne.

You really do have to stop it. I could've seriously scalded myself with hot coffee I was laughing so loud.

I never expected this in a fit. Excellent!

What great characters in those photos & what a priviledge to have you sharing your pics with us. Thanks for that.

Anyways while I sit here dreaming of warmer climes, I look down our driveway to see that the often dry creek is now a raging brown river, whizzing logs and other debris from the forest, as it floods us in for the third day now.

We're safe as houses up here on the hill but I do feel for those less fortunate who have been caught by the 3rd flood in a very short time.

What was it that New Cop used to say on TV after briefing his troops "be careful out there people". Please!!!!!!!!!!
AnswerID: 366174

Sponsored Links