Sandflags, Purnululu and GRR Gorges

Submitted: Friday, May 22, 2009 at 10:53
ThreadID: 69063 Views:2202 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just a quick one, give the tracks into Purnululu and some of the Gorges on the GRR, for safety is it advisable to have a sandflag or similar on the vehicle or is it not worth the trouble. I have one but wasn't going to put it on for the next trip but thought I would get the advice of those more expert in that area than me.
Many thanks

Mark
Every place visited is a new experience.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 11:18

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 11:18
A sandflag is a very good safety item to have but I wouldn't consider it a necessity for either the GRR or Bungles. Good roads (loosely speakibng of course) and plenty of viz. A good UHF is a must though.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 366131

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 15:05

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 15:05
Mike I agree with you regarding the GRR gorges but we found that in Punululu that a sand flag on vehicles would of been handy. I found that we met a couple of vehicles on the steep ridge sections and even travelling slowely we had to take evasive action a couple of times. Some people drive those tracks way too fast.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 633889

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 11:28

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 11:28
Mark,

I would agree with Mike O, a sand flag, a must when driving over sand dunes, is not required on "good dirt roads".

What would happen is the flag would start to flap itself to destruction plus the flag pole that you are using would also either bend back or break.

Drive to the conditions, drive with the UHF on scan and drive with head lights on.

Have a safe trip and save the flag for the dunes.

Wayne

AnswerID: 366133

Reply By: Member - Mark & Michelle + 1 - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 12:03

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 12:03
Thank you both for your comments. I had the same thoughts but thought I would get advice from someone who has actually travelled that area. Headlights on and driving to conditions of course goes without saying (or it should). However living on the Tanami and travelling it often to Alice Springs sometimes I wonder!!!
We are looking forward to the trip up the rest of the Tanami then across to Broome & return in about four weeks, can't wait.
Thanks Again
Cheers
Mark
Every place visited is a new experience.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 366137

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 15:57

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 15:57
I don't think a sand flag would add much to the visibility issues on the narrow and hard to see sections of the road into Purnululu. As Dunc said, there is always someone coming at you way too fast. Drive cautiously. No visibility problems at all on the GRR.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 366188

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 16:45

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 16:45
Overhanging branches in places going into Purnululu would quickly wipe out a sand flag. Better to watch for dust from oncoming vehicles and use your UHF radio to call ahead/listen for oncoming traffic. Yes too many vehicles travel way too fast on that road.

No problems on GRR or roads into the gorges. Just travel at a sensible speed.

Cheers
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 366203

Sponsored Links