extreme uhf antenna

Submitted: Friday, May 22, 2009 at 16:49
ThreadID: 69074 Views:2811 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Is there anyone out there with either a extreme desert trekka (4.5db) or extreme big red (6db) uhf antenna (independent ground) and was it/are they worth the money?

Did you notice that you got better range or not?

If so....what was the difference in distance and quality of reception.

I am considering changing mine as for example I can hear someone close....for example a truck( near me) talking to another truck in the distance but I don't hear them, but the trucky near me can hear them ok.

I currently have a standard gme AE4018K1.... 6.5 db ground independent.

The radio is a GME TX3220.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 16:59

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 16:59
Your problem is common with bullbar mounted antennae.
Move your current antenna to the roof and your problem will go away.
AnswerID: 366205

Follow Up By: Member - Redbakk (WA) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 17:05

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 17:05
Thanks Phil...I see yours is on the gutter, what type/brand is it?
FollowupID: 633911

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 19:29

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 19:29
Yep, it a ground independant 4.5dB RFi brand on a swing down gutter mount. But type/brand doesn't matter - with UHF, the higher the better - its all line of sight and you don't want the body and roofrack of your troopy blocking the signal. The coax is easily hidden in the gutter behind your snorkel and can enter the cab from near the lower door hinge. With mine, I drilled a hole and used a rubber grommet, but if you have electric windows, there will be a grommet already there.

95% of the time I use a simple indestructable rubber stubbie aerial (this is good for 20Km on the flat and outperforms in hilly country as its only about 2dB) and when I need the extra distance I put the taller aerial on.

With a roof mount, I'd avoid the "elevated feed" antennae - they often get trashed in the bush. I've used the same UHF set and aerial on my past 4 vehicles now.
FollowupID: 633938

Reply By: Lex M (Brisbane) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 17:47

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 17:47
Don't know about them.
I have a GME AE4705 and a GME AE4706 which mount on the same base on the bullbar.

Use the 4705 mostly and the 4706 out in the flat stuff.

Spend half the time in convoy relaying messages to and from other closer together vehicles.

AnswerID: 366214

Reply By: Member - Dick (Int) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 20:09

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 20:09
I have an Xtreme Big Red antenna and it works well. I have not really tested it for max range, but it has always enabled me to talk to whoever I needed to.

What Phil says is true, a smaller antenna mounted on the Gutter or the Roof Rack will probably do all you need.

Cheers
Dick

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 366248

Reply By: Holden4th - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 20:22

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 20:22
I have an AE409L GME antenna and use the 6dB configuration. I did some careful research and decided that while I would have to mount it on the bullbar, where I mounted it would be crucial. I've got this attached to the top rail of my bullbar and so far left that it's visible from the footpath. The top sticks far just above the height of the roof (and acts as a gauge for underground parking.

While the best reception is from the front of the vehicle, which is really what you want, it does give me good reception from transmissions from behind me. I've had over 80 kms at one point and around town here on the M1 on the Gold coast I get an easy 10 kms which is more than adequate.

It got it's real test in the Simpson and even at the bottom of dunes, I could hear people coming in the opposite direction quite easily.
AnswerID: 366252

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Friday, May 22, 2009 at 22:48

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 22:48
As per the GME web site, the best position is in the middle of the roof. The further you stray from that point the lower the performance of whatever aerial you use. Simple.
However, most people don't want to drill a hole in the roof and besides if you use a roof basket all this is of no use. So when no roof basket fit the aerial in the roof centre. When the basket goes on use a ground plane in dependant aerial mounted high on the basket somewhere for the next best performance.
If you are still not sure contact GME or Benelec for help.
AnswerID: 366280

Sponsored Links