Kudos to WA Police.

Submitted: Friday, May 22, 2009 at 19:08
ThreadID: 69076 Views:1894 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We see a LOT pof press about all the things police do to our wayward youth when they muck up and do stoopid things and fair play to the police, they are just doing their job - what we pay them to do and work we expect them to carry out.

With that said - all the laws in the world, and all the punishments in the world, all the TV adverts, all the public education programs, don't on their own always solve the problem, but hopefully they help to reduce the problems.

One of the things I always thought was 'missing' was "positive reinforcement" from the police - they don't as a rule pull you over and say "well done for hanging back from the car in front in these wet conditions etc, they are always there when we do something daft and sometimes we even cop a fine - but wheres the positive reinforcement when people (specially the young ones) do something right?

Well blow me down, I have to eat crow, and I wanted to say well done to our local boys in blue.

Full credit where it is due!

My second eldest just finnished his 2 years probationary period, and is fuinally off the P plates and whatever restrictions (curfews etc) and he gets a letter in the mail from the Police with his license renewal.

Well the leter congratulates him for zero demerits and no infractions at all during his entire 2 years probation period AND grants him one years FREE license renewal for such a good result (as a discount on renewing for 4 years or somesuch)!

Hows about that!

Now THAT is positive reinforcement for the young ones - to continue to obey the rules, and be meticulous about their driving - all kids understand the power of money (mine keep me perpetually broke so they must) and positive reqard for good performance is a message that will quickly spread amongst their peers and hopefully help to promote good behaviour!

It's so refreshing to see positive reinforcement used, (along with apppropriate punshments like the stiff hooning penaltys) for or youth, - it shows even handedness by the authorities and will go a LONG way topward promoting their image with responsible youth.

Sure there are some kids with only double digit IQ's that we may never reach - but at least this is something being done in a positive not negative way by our police to try and show the kids that they arent all bad guys.

You could have knockled me over with a feather!

Well done, boys in blue - It went a LONG way towards almost restoring my faith in humanity!

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 13:05

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 13:05
That's a great response from the WA police, I hope it catches on over this side of the country.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 366465

Follow Up By: Nargun51 - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 10:22

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 10:22
Victoria does have a similar scheme; if you have incurred no demerit points in the 3 years leading up to licence renewal, there is a "good driver reward" of a 25% discount on your renewal fees. This has been in place for at least 2 years

I'm assuming that your it has been more than two years since your last licence renewal :)

This scheme has nothing to do with the police. It has to do with the faceless bureaucrats working in the registration and licensing sections of the government departments, and would have been signed off on by the responsible Minister.

Congratulate the politicians or road safety mandarins. It may have been initiated by the police, but in Victoria, police have no responsibility for registration or licensing. The Police's sole responsibility is to uphold the law
FollowupID: 634324

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Monday, May 25, 2009 at 17:16

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 17:16
hahah sure has been more than two years since my licence renewal, more like 8 or something.

Thats a good thing then of its in Vic too. I was once proud of having no points on my licence, now its a little tarnished but will be clean again in 8 months. I drive like an old fart hahahaha
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 634354

Reply By: get outmore - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 21:14

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 21:14
which has what to do with wa Police?

thats a DPI liscensing issue
AnswerID: 366702

Sponsored Links